Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times

Advertisements

This week Charlotte area restaurants are hosting "Queen's Feast", the first (hopefully) annual dining week: $30 for 3 courses.

Link to details and menus: http://www.charlotterestaurantweek.com/

My husband and I are using this opportunity to check out 2 restaurants we've been curious about: M5 in South Park and Sugar Magnolia in Blakeney.

Figured since others might be checking out new restaurants, perhaps people could share their experiences of the fixed price menus offered, service, etc.

Last night we went to M5. It was tough getting reservations so we went early at 5:30. We've been interested in M5 previously, but I don't usually think of Mediterranean food as high end pricey stuff, so we haven't gone previously.

The restaurant itself is beautiful and well-designed. The wait staff was very courteous and the food was excellent. My husband had the gazpacho and scallop first course, and I had the serrano wrapped ham. The gazpacho won.

For the second course, my husband had the lamb and I had the salmon with fava bean puree. I didn't try his course, but I'm pretty sure that my salmon won. :-) Although he disagrees. So either way that's a good sign.

For dessert he got the strawberries and white chocolate ice cream. I got the chocolate molten cake. Our server brought a 3 tiered dessert tray with a "bonus" - Flan! in the middle.

Overall it was a wonderful experience. M5 seems to be taking this event seriously -- other restaurants (*cough* Ri Ra) don't seem to be putting nearly as much effort into their menu for this week.

Based on last night, we'll definitely be returning to M5 for special occasions. Looking forward to Sugar Magnolia on Thursday!

Last edited by diertac; 07-14-2008 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: Added link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 AM

457 posts, read 1,376,884 times
Nice, M5 sounds excellent, will have to try sometime. I'm going to Del Fresco's this week, and looking forward to the experience. I've so many good things about it.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 AM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
We did Ratcliffe on the Green Saturday - fantastic. Ended up doing the "normal" 5-course tasting menu instead of the Queen's Feast menu, because the Queen's feast offerings didn't appeal too much. Food, service, ambiance etc were top notch. We'll definitely go back.

Went to Upstream last night...pretty good Queen's Feast menu. They were quite slammed early, but better later on. Food was very good as well.

Doing Mimosa Grill later this week.

M5 is great. Didn't go there for Queen's Feast because we've been there several times before and wanted to try some new places.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
Nice, M5 sounds excellent, will have to try sometime. I'm going to Del Fresco's this week, and looking forward to the experience. I've so many good things about it.
So glad you said this!! Would you please come back here and comment on your meal? Of all the restaurants on the list, Del Frisco's is the one I am dying to try but have been saving for special occasion - would love to know what you think!

diertac - what a great review you wrote!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 AM

457 posts, read 1,376,884 times
Loves, I'll provide a quick review Wednesday morning...I already know what I'm ordering: Classic Caesar Salad; Grilled Rib-Eye, and Chocolate Mousse for dessert, accompanied I'm sure with a nice glass of Red....looking forwrad to it...

Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 AM

228 posts, read 910,506 times
I'm going to the Melting Pot. Although I've gone there before I can't pass up all those courses for 30!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 AM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times
Quote:
Loves, I'll provide a quick review Wednesday morning...I already know what I'm ordering: Classic Caesar Salad; Grilled Rib-Eye, and Chocolate Mousse for dessert, accompanied I'm sure with a nice glass of Red....looking forwrad to it...
We will be there Thursday night and I was planning on ordering the same items. Looking forward to your review.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:19 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
OHMYGOSH - if I were going THAT is exactly what I would order! I will live vicariously thru you come Wednesday morning, LOL!! Thanks

Old 07-14-2008, 12:16 PM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
Did Dressler's in Birkdale Village for the deal. The food and service were excellent. The $30 for 3 courses was well worth it. They do not cut down the service size in order to make up the difference like we experienced at a few other places. Had Ahi Tuna as an appetizer (other choices were Calimari or Steak). Main meal was choice of Crab Cakes (3 decent size), a ribeye steak (16 oz) or Hallibut. All three were excellent. Dessert was choice of Cheesecake, Cremebrulle (sp?) or a chocolate fountain.

This is a must place.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,057,785 times
Sounds like a great deal. I've been to Sugar Magnolia in Blakeney and the food was pretty good, but the prices were too high and the portions too small. I enjoyed the meals we had at Encore (next door) much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte