Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 AM

314 posts, read 1,136,118 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an opinion on Fieldstone Farms in Indian Trail? We are considering building a home there, but aren't familiar with the area. How is the area? How long a commute to Uptown would that be, roughly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 AM

187 posts, read 549,150 times
I looked there, and was reasonably impressed with the area -- and particularly the quiet -- but it's just so far from everything.

You would be looking at about a 45 minute commute uptown, in just about any case. If you work uptown on a regular basis, I would suggest going to the Union Towne Centre and taking the 74X bus. The commute won't be a ton shorter, but you'll at least have the sanity of not having to fight the mess on Independence.

It's a really beautiful and peaceful area, but you have to weigh those things against your desire for convenience.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
It would also have a lot to do with the time you go into work and leave. I live in Annandale right next to FF and worked uptown, I worked 7 to 3:30, leaving the house at 6:15 and usually arrive around 6:40. Coming home was about 30 min. But if you are in the typical 8-5 yes 45 would be the minimum.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 AM

It would be close to 8-5. I work at a law firm, and lawyers don't usually do early really well. So, it will most likely be something like 9-6.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:20 PM

364 posts, read 1,167,611 times
I live there, and we really like the area. A new mall is being built just a few miles away on the other side of 485, which will help with not feeling so "out there". It is very peaceful, yet convenient to Ballantyne (which I love- 20mins). If you have specific questions about the community- let me know.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM

211 posts, read 708,539 times
My wife had classes uptown and had to commute in the morning. I don't think it was more than 45 minutes. Anyways it feels like a nice country setting, there are a few veggie stands nearby, and within a reasonable distance to Charlotte as stated. I wouldn't want to live any further but I'm not complaining.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 AM

34 posts, read 126,769 times
Please check the builder regarding a large bug infestation related to the property being a former farm land; Centex has been spraying for new homes, but I heard that current owners are encouraged to contact a specific pest control company at their own expense.

I live near this development and have heard from many residents that the bug problem is overwhelming. I have heard that the builder is not disclosing this when homes are purchase. Neighboring communities do not have the same problem.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:53 AM

364 posts, read 1,167,611 times
Just FYI the bug issue has been practically non-existent for several months now. The bugs were seasonal, so they may be back next year, but hopefully not!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongamonga View Post
Please check the builder regarding a large bug infestation related to the property being a former farm land; Centex has been spraying for new homes, but I heard that current owners are encouraged to contact a specific pest control company at their own expense.

I live near this development and have heard from many residents that the bug problem is overwhelming. I have heard that the builder is not disclosing this when homes are purchase. Neighboring communities do not have the same problem.

The whole area is farm land as is any area in union county. At one point the entire union county was farm land. Bugs are normal and usually a good exterminator would get rid of them. Yes we have contract with a pest control company and everytime we see a bug, we call them.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 PM

The wife and I are not big fans of bugs, so in every place we've lived, we've had preventative treatments for bugs, which has always included an "as needed" call in service as well. So, if prevention treatment helps, or if calling it in as it happens takes care of the problem, then it is safe to assume that we will be covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte