U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:07 PM

473 posts, read 1,482,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyU View Post
Well,,,alot of the transplants probably came from areas that are economically dead and want to make a goiod life for their families,,a life that probvly couldnt be made in alot of places in the US that are suffering.I am living and have grown up near Martinsville VA.,,I know what a shattered economy looks like,,where there is fading industry...Charlotte is booming with industry and jobs,,,that is why people are moving there.people have to work good jobs and there arnt any good jobs in some parts of America.
I've been in Martinsville, VA for a NASCAR race. I was amazed that it couldn't sustain either a Walmart or Lowes but there are plenty of food places around. That's a sad day...

I come from an economically depressed area also. It may not be the same as where you or others come from, but it's still economincally depressed. It is in rural western NY, and yes, for those that do not know, there is a huge state outside of NYC. The major corporations are slowing down in the Rochester area, have ever since I can remember. I left almost 10 years ago because of a lack of opportunity. I've found opportunity in the South. Sometimes I don't appreciate it but it's much better than where I came from. At least I have my health, a job, and a home. That's all anyone can ask for. We all have a lot in common no matter where you are from, sometimes more than we realize.

I don't personally think it matters where anyone comes from, but it matters where they are going in life and how they treat others. I believe that is what's important in life. I've managed quite nicely in the South with few incidents and the ones I have experienced I chalked up to ignorance. I don't believe you can blame someone for moving someplace that they can try to make a better life for themselves. I think the whole goal in life is to better yourself and your family, and if someone looks down on your for it, that's their issue, not yours. If they were in your shoes, they probably would have done the same exact thing...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte