U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 PM

30 posts, read 93,891 times

Advertisements

I just said on another thread that Huntersville sounded nice. You never can know until you go and take a look see. However, I have been looking into Clover area, and I think that really looks nice. It seems more peaceful, yet close the conveniences. Schools sound good too. I am guessing that there are a lot of transplants there too.

Another funny thing is that I want to leave my hometown 'cause everyone from up north is moving in- ohh the irony!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 08:21 AM

225 posts, read 783,890 times
Thanks SummerGirl and all that replied.

I am very excited about moving to Charlotte (Union Co.). I am happy to hear that overall transplants are welcome. I'd hate to feel like an ant at a picnic. My son tells me I'm obsessed about the move. I guess I am.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,534,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerGirl View Post
It is kind of sad. You will still find parts of 'Old Charlotte' that have that spirit, but they are dwindling somewhat.
....... Hopefully the city will be smart about planning and preserving the old neighborhoods and historic buildings. we shall see!
It hasn't happened yet

Old 03-06-2007, 12:46 AM

549 posts, read 2,245,812 times
Summergirl
you put very valid points. Your post made me think about how uptown different uptown Charlotte used to be and how differently it was once perceived. My grandmother told me that before the whiteflight of the late 1960´s families would go to uptown to shop at Ivey's or Belk´s Department story. For people who want to go back in time the Latta Arcade is a wonderful turn of the century building full of charm and history filled with speciality stores one won´t find in southpark. It is one of the few older buildings left in the center city. The Carolina movie theatre was the place most people went to see the latest film (sadly uptown charlotte does not have a cinema anymore) After going to the cinema people would then head over to the The Coffee Cup Restaurant. There has been alot of talk about it being bulldozed so developers can put some new Beazer townhomes. Maybe with the Ritz coming it would generate more interest in having more cultural and entertaining things to do, like in other cities. I noticed that when people leave the Blumenthal center people rush to their cars. It is very different from the 1950´s when people would stay and take a stroll. Basically it needs more diversity and hopefully the city along with the powers-that-be find a happy medium between growth and preserving our older buildings and history since it is disappearing at an alarming rate.

Last edited by Anigirli; 03-06-2007 at 01:07 AM..

Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 AM

531 posts, read 1,902,793 times
As a transplant I have never been made to feel anything but welcome. When we moved here we were surprised how many people came and introduced themselves.

The one thing I found, it is hard to find people who were born and raised here. The few that I have met have been a really great source for local history and insight on how much change has been experienced here over such a short time.

I have only met rude/unwelcoming people on 1 occasion. She was from NY and had been here for 10 years. So I took that with a grain of salt since she was not native to the region.

I think some of the fears with the way things are growing here are shared by both new residents and native Charlotteans. Change is always difficult for all involved.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 AM

476 posts, read 1,481,118 times
I am glad that this thread was bumped back up and folks are so willling to share and be honest with all of us about how those of us "invading" Charlotte are somewhat changing things. That said, I haven't yet arrived and feel very welcomed. We cannot wait to call Charlotte home.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:32 AM

225 posts, read 783,890 times
I'm really suprised about the lack historical preservation some posters have mentioned. At times we all understand that the old must make way for the new. BUT, I feel by doing this with a broad stroke wipes out the history and culture we so love. I'm also amazed because BofA is a big sponsor of preserving historic buildings with spots on HGTV and others. What better place to start than in their own backyard so to speak.

Last edited by warden; 03-06-2007 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 AM

45,246 posts, read 92,374,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warden View Post
I'm really suprised about the lack historical preservation some posters have mentioned. At times we all understand that the old must make way for the new. BUT, I feel by doing this with a broad stroke wipes out the history and culture we so love. I'm also amazed because BofA is a big sponsor of preserving historic buildings with spots on HGTV and others. What better place to start than in their own backyard so to speak.
Warden, there are more attempts now to identify historic landmarks and preserve them than ever before. The other posters are referring more to stuff that happened in the 70's and 80's. There was not the appreciation back them for what the city had in its history, and yes, things were torn down for "urban renewel".

The absolute worst thing was that the neighborhood many black families had called home for a hundred years was totally demolished to build government buildings. It was called "Brooklyn" and had its own high school. Fortunately, the school was not torn down and became part of the CPCC (community college) campus. But there is no trace of the original neighborhood. Of course now we all see that as a tragedy. But back in the 70's this was a big town, not really a "city" and there was no money for preservation or even government grants like there are today for this type of thing. And corporate sponsorship??? It didn't exist either. So, while it is easy to blame past leaders for a "lack of vision", I believe, though they made some mistakes, they did what they thought was the right thing. And remember, BofA wasn't here yet either. Fortunately now they are and they add a tremendous amount of support to many philanthropic and community causes.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:15 AM

4,127 posts, read 10,578,279 times
So much of the outer area of Charlotte is new, or used to be farms.

I was talking with some folks who grew up around here and they said that if you lived South of 51 (Pineville-Matthews Rd.) you were WAY out there! There were no retail developments other than local hardware stores and feed and tackle stores and such.

Hard to imagine now, looking at all the growth.

We have lived here almost 2 years and I can't believe how much this area has changed just in that short amount of time! I thought we were in the middle of nowhere when we moved here.....now the city is coming to us from all directions!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Huntersville is pretty much devoid of any culture. The culture of Huntersville is retail. Its true. Most Lake Norman cities and towns have been built up only recently. About 90% of these towns didnt exist 5-10 years ago.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:18 AM

4,127 posts, read 10,578,279 times
I don't think it is nearly what it was on the West Coast. When Californians sold and moved to WA and OR. Seattle and Portland could get really nasty about people from CA. They still are to some degree. If you move up there, you really need to change your licence plates ASAP. There is even a large sign as you enter Oregon from CA that reads,
"Welcome Californians, Visit and Enjoy, and then go home!"

I really haven't felt that here.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by warden View Post
In bed sick today and wondered if the people of Charlotte are happy with the influx of us northerners, etc.

From what I've read so far on this site the overwhelming numbers of families moving to Charlotte and the surrounding counties have put a definite strain on the infrastructure of many areas. Is everyone really happy about that? We all have our reasons for selecting NC and those reasons are near and dear to us. But how does the general population really feel?

Even though the housing prices for some of us seem cheap, are we driving up the price for the locals and shutting them out of the market? I hear the traffic situtation is not so great now and it could be because of poor planning or the recent influx of families. Taxes are low now, but for how long. We've created overcrowding in the schools. I just don't want to have on rose colored glasses and think everyone is happy about the recent demands we are putting on many small town governments.

When B of A, Capital One, and the other large finanical institutions moved to Charlotte the local economy improved. How many of those jobs are now being taken by us? In some cases we are creating new opportunities and businesses that improve the quality of life for everyone. But is everyone happy about us?

Just throwing this out for insight? All right Charlotte, you tell me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte