U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 AM

435 posts, read 1,713,555 times

Advertisements

As an old time transplant (I've lived here since '85- does that qualify me as a local?) I too have mixed feelings. Yes, the influx of people is a good thing. Its brought many businesses to the community, but where are all the opportunities for us locals? I'd love to work for a bank. I've put in applications, I have the education, but I don't get any calls back. The roads could be updated...as in these little 2 lane country roads (think Rea Rd. north of Hwy 51) should have been widened years ago. With the amount of people moving in they need to get to stepping- make the roads bigger. You can make them pretty later. They want to make Rea Rd (again north of Hwy 51) look like Colony Rd.- the pretty medians & 2 lanes (Colony Rd. from Rea Rd. to Sharon Amity). With the amount of people on Rea everyday they need to make it wider.
But overall I do feel that transplants are welcome, because the people that are welcoming you are transplants themselves
Just my 2 cents on the issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
So much of the outer area of Charlotte is new, or used to be farms.

I was talking with some folks who grew up around here and they said that if you lived South of 51 (Pineville-Matthews Rd.) you were WAY out there! There were no retail developments other than local hardware stores and feed and tackle stores and such.

Hard to imagine now, looking at all the growth.

We have lived here almost 2 years and I can't believe how much this area has changed just in that short amount of time! I thought we were in the middle of nowhere when we moved here.....now the city is coming to us from all directions!

Dawn
For the longest time Providence Rd. used to be 2 lanes...then they realized they needed to expand it. Rea Rd. used to stop at Hwy 51 & there used to not even be a light there.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:27 PM

4,127 posts, read 10,577,378 times
I sure hope they KEEP expanding it! South of the 485 it is just so crowded!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
For the longest time Providence Rd. used to be 2 lanes...then they realized they needed to expand it. Rea Rd. used to stop at Hwy 51 & there used to not even be a light there.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:45 PM

549 posts, read 2,245,625 times
What happened in the 70´s with all the rezoning they completely encouraged urban spwarl. See I feel that almost that even today the powers-that-be are not doing that much to preserve. They have such a ´throwaway´ mentality. It is much easier to bulldoze a building than try to find a way to incorporate or give it a new life. Our older buildings and history have been disappearing at a rate that directly correlates to the increasing number of new projects. With all the new shiny glass buildings we inevitably lose the old. The deco-inspired Power Building will meet the wrecking ball as a result of Novare project. Which is sad. Yes progress is good for stimulating the economy but at what price? Does anyone remember the Masonic Temple with its rare Egyptian influence? It was bulldozed in the 80´s.

When South Park mall opened in 1970 it was considered out in the boonies. Not many people wanted to go back then since it was away from the city. So around 1975 they opened Eastland Mall and for a while it rivaled SouthPark for the chicest place to shop. Sadly with changing demographics in east Charlotte the mall has withered and recently shut down. The now defunct Sharon High School was located in the very place South Park Mall was built. My grandmother told me when they had games with Pineville HS they would take the little dirt road on South Bvld. And people would consider Pineville to be so far away.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,978,489 times
Default My how things have changed...

Quote:
So much of the outer area of Charlotte is new, or used to be farms.

I was talking with some folks who grew up around here and they said that if you lived South of 51 (Pineville-Matthews Rd.) you were WAY out there! There were no retail developments other than local hardware stores and feed and tackle stores and such.

Hard to imagine now, looking at all the growth.

We have lived here almost 2 years and I can't believe how much this area has changed just in that short amount of time! I thought we were in the middle of nowhere when we moved here.....now the city is coming to us from all directions!

Dawn
Some perspective from a 50-year old Marvin native:
When I was in high school in the 1970's, all of the students (elementary-high school) who lived below New Town Rd toward Waxhaw ALL rode the same school bus to the old Waxhaw Elementary School (now the Alternative School). The elementary kids got off and the high schoolers transferred onto ONE school bus and rode to one of four "consolidated high schools" in the county, the brand new Parkwood High School (the others were Sun Valley, Piedmont and Forest Hills). In those days, Monroe was a CITY school where the doctors and lawyers kids went. The consolidated schools were country kids. In those days, the area elementary schools were Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel and Mineral Springs on the western side of Union County.

For college, I drove into uptown Charlotte to a business school - Kings College over off Seventh Street. It took about 30 minutes to get there. No traffic, no stoplights until Sharon Amity. I worked in uptown Charlotte until the SouthPark area became the hottest new thing in the 1980's. The SouthPark mall was built and new development followed. Traffic got thicker.

When a new office complex opened at the corner of Highway 51 and Carmel Road, I took a job out there. At that time, Highway 51 was two single lanes. Along the whole road from Pineville to Matthews there was only cow pastures, trees, and one large office building, Catalytic Converters (now Charlotte Catholic High). Carmel Commons shopping center (Phase I) opened with a Winn-Dixie grocery store (where we were able to grab lunch from the deli). Then, like someone flipped a switch, pastures and trees were bulldozed, traffic gridlocked (think Providence Road now). We were so excited to hear I-485 would offer "relief." Carolina Place Mall was built, the belt loop began construction, and the growth just exploded and spilled over into unsuspecting Union County farmland.

My family farmed in the Marvin community for four generations. Our roots and history go deep. For me, it has been sad to see the farmland go. Seriously, there are FAR more newcomers here than natives. At times, it is a little overwhelming.

Mostly, Southerners are hospitable folks. We want to be friendly and helpful. Sometimes it feels like no one really cares about what was here before. And, I try to realize that if I moved to a new place, I might not really care like their natives do, either. Probably the thing that I hear most often from my native friends is that we worry that newcomers are so quick to change things to the way they were where they came from, but then, as fast as we change things, those folks just pick up and move on. Why is it so important to change things if you don't plan to stay around? Sometimes, it would be nice if newcomers took the time to understand things and embrace them before changing them and leaving. My analogy is that you have weekend company that comes in and immediately complains about your decorating and your food and your entertainment and you hustle to make everything accomodating for them and then they are gone and you just feel sort of used up and under-appreciated. Sort of like that.

Native country folks are an independent sort. We like our space and we believe in minding our own business. We don't really need more government to tell us where to plant our flowers. It's a hard thing for us when the city dwellers move in and want to pave over and streetlight and gate everything. It feels like a loss of freedom and beauty.

So, just a little perspective. We don't mind you coming. Just be polite and helpful and care about our area like we do.

P.S. And just because we talk slow doesn't means our brains are slow...LOL! Don't assume every native you meet is "an ignorant redneck." Yes, we hear you when you call us that.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,793,008 times
When people move to a new place. particualry in the lake Norman area, people dont really care about the area. Before everyone jumps on me, think about it....

My hometown used to be quiet and peaceful, then came a grocery store here and a grocery store there, with additional shops, then more and more move in and its out of control. We have a Walmart Supercenter, Lowes, acres upon acres bulldozed here in Denver to build who knows what...I remember it being quiet here, no crime and not crowded, now its the opposite. Ill be moving further out probably, on my own land hopefully, Ive had enough of this "progress".

Old 03-06-2007, 04:54 PM

I remember when the Winn Dixie was at Carmel & 51. That was the only grocery store around, except for the Harris Teeter on Providence Rd. in Providence Square Shopping Center. I also remember there was a white picket fence that ran from Rea Rd. all the way into SC on 51 (one of the only ways to get to I-77 at the time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
When a new office complex opened at the corner of Highway 51 and Carmel Road, I took a job out there. At that time, Highway 51 was two single lanes. Along the whole road from Pineville to Matthews there was only cow pastures, trees, and one large office building, Catalytic Converters (now Charlotte Catholic High). Carmel Commons shopping center (Phase I) opened with a Winn-Dixie grocery store (where we were able to grab lunch from the deli). Then, like someone flipped a switch, pastures and trees were bulldozed, traffic gridlocked (think Providence Road now). We were so excited to hear I-485 would offer "relief." Carolina Place Mall was built, the belt loop began construction, and the growth just exploded and spilled over into unsuspecting Union County farmland.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:08 PM

Well when they do start the expansion it'll probably take years. I remember when they were expanding Providence Rd at Fairview/Sardis- took them Years!
But I do think they've improved their road expansion skills in the past few years.

Quote:
I sure hope they KEEP expanding it! South of the 485 it is just so crowded!

Dawn

Old 03-06-2007, 05:26 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,793,008 times
My biggest concern is that the Lake Norman area will turn into something like Orange county California, too expensive and too crowded to live. Full of shopping centers and million dollar homes and rude people.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:19 PM

24 posts, read 82,460 times
Default very sad

I feel as a transplant we should all remember why we moved from our previous locations. For most of us it seems to be due to overcrowding or overpriced. Looking around the Union County area I was saddend to see all the traffic and new home development on top of new home development. I was immediately reminded of CA and what they have done to any open land. The reasons why I chose the Charlotte area was I had heard it was a friendly place with reasonable living costs and I love the "Southern Charm" aspects of NC & SC. I really hope all the madness slows down before the it gets out of control. I have lived in the results of overbuilding all my life and it wears on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte