U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:20 PM

476 posts, read 1,482,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duquesne View Post
Settling in just fine, thanks. If all goes according to plan, I should be fully unpacked by quarter 3, 2009

Go Go Packrat Power!
I can relate, I am hoping once we move I will be unpacked before we change over the decade...LOL. DH and I just moved some boxes in our basement that were never opened when we moved here 2 years ago. I guess they are a few less that need packing for NC.

PACKRAT POWER could be a whole other club!

Congrats again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 PM

116 posts, read 393,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmzenith View Post
I moved from Long Island to NC 6 years ago to live the "redneck life". I'm a very frugal, non-materialistic, long haired, flannel shirt wearing kind of guy. My wife & I don't contribute to the justified complaints people have with transplants. We have no children to add to the crowded schools & planned on buying a used house (cash) that doesn't require bulldozing the land.

We feel betrayed by the citizens of NC; I guess because we didn't conform to the area. We finally realized that conforming doesn't come naturally to us. I’ve developed a mean streak living down here (my own fault) & I hope to start over in another state this summer.
In what way or ways have you felt pressure to conform? As a North Carolina native, I have known many, many people with long hair. There's nothing unusual about that. As for the non-materialistic issue, do you feel like you're combatting a country club mentality? I have seen an attitude where you're sort of made to feel like you have to belong to a club and drive a nice car, live in a fancy house, etc. In other environments where I have lived, outside of the South, it seemed to be quite the opposite: being a member of a country club was not necessarily something you would brag about. Personally, I've struggled with that myself and have a hard time dealing with people who willingly ignore what's going on in the world, put blinders on when it comes to what our political leaders are doing, and then isolate themselves in their material world. Is this striking a chord with you? I'd be interested to know what's driving you away from Charlotte. Or are you not actually living in Charlotte?

Old 03-07-2007, 03:17 PM

749 posts, read 1,007,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post
In what way or ways have you felt pressure to conform? As a North Carolina native, I have known many, many people with long hair. There's nothing unusual about that. As for the non-materialistic issue, do you feel like you're combatting a country club mentality? I have seen an attitude where you're sort of made to feel like you have to belong to a club and drive a nice car, live in a fancy house, etc. In other environments where I have lived, outside of the South, it seemed to be quite the opposite: being a member of a country club was not necessarily something you would brag about. Personally, I've struggled with that myself and have a hard time dealing with people who willingly ignore what's going on in the world, put blinders on when it comes to what our political leaders are doing, and then isolate themselves in their material world. Is this striking a chord with you? I'd be interested to know what's driving you away from Charlotte. Or are you not actually living in Charlotte?
I'm on the Mech/Iredell border (Davidson). Your quote does strike a cord. I just thought that my personality was ready-made for NC.

Last edited by DSOs; 03-07-2007 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-07-2007, 04:03 PM

116 posts, read 393,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmzenith View Post
I'm on the Mech/Iredell border (Davidson). Your quote does strike a cord. I just thought that my personality was ready-made for NC.
Being that you're in a liberal arts college town, I'm surprised and saddened to hear this has been your experience. I know there are folks out there who are of a similar mindset (like my Buddhist brother who's in Huntersville), but it may take some effort to seek them out because they're probably in the minority. Maybe you could make some connections through some activist type group of your choice and perhaps save yourself the pain of having to relocate again.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 PM

4,299 posts, read 14,033,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post

Perhaps California would be a better fit, they are pretty laid back and don't care for our political leaders. It's pretty much anything goes.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 PM

8 posts, read 15,924 times
What was that funny quote from Yogi Berra about his favorite restaurant getting too crowded...I think it was - "Nobody ever goes there anymore because it's always too crowded!"

Growth and development anywhere offers a mixed bag. I'm a volunteer/member of Downtown Davidson, Inc. (a non-profit association of residents and business owners who's goal is to improve, preserve and promote Davidson, NC) and we often hear of parking and traffic concerns from local residents and businesses. Before moving here in '92 I was involved with a small town Chamber of Commerce who was trying to INCREASE their traffic and FILL parking spaces. Be careful what you wish for, huh?

Maybe it's just Pollyanna optimism, but I think there's much more to enjoy in the entire Charlotte region than dislike - native or transplant.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 PM

4,299 posts, read 14,033,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeNorman-Resident View Post
What was that funny quote from Yogi Berra about his favorite restaurant getting too crowded...I think it was - "Nobody ever goes there anymore because it's always too crowded!"

Growth and development anywhere offers a mixed bag. I'm a volunteer/member of Downtown Davidson, Inc. (a non-profit association of residents and business owners who's goal is to improve, preserve and promote Davidson, NC) and we often hear of parking and traffic concerns from local residents and businesses. Before moving here in '92 I was involved with a small town Chamber of Commerce who was trying to INCREASE their traffic and FILL parking spaces. Be careful what you wish for, huh?

Maybe it's just Pollyanna optimism, but I think there's much more to enjoy in the entire Charlotte region than dislike - native or transplant.

Off topic but Davidson is beautiful!!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 PM

12 posts, read 35,194 times
Default Be careful what you wish for...!

I arrived in Charlotte on sunday evening to spend this week looking for work in the hope of moving my family here. Like everyone else, I want a better standard of living for myself and my family. The difference is that I don't come from a city and the problem for me is not overdevelopment, but underdevelopment. Vermont has been quite effective at maintaining it's natural beauty, but at what cost? The reason we are leaving Vermont is lack of opportunity. I have a wife and 16 month old daughter with another on the way in june and I refuse to spend the rest of my life flat broke just to live in a beautiful place. I agree that history and cultural landmarks should be preserved, but there needs to be a balance of progress and preservation. There was a proposal in my town to install wind turbines on one of the many mountain ridges to provide clean, cheap electricity for the area. People voted against it because they were worried about spoiling the view!

As far as the transplant issue, that is the way the world is now. With easier travel and communications, the world is becoming a much smaller place. Relocating across the country is not a big deal anymore. My family is a good example of this. My grandfather moved our family from Denmark to America in 1949 when my mother was 8 years old. Most still live in Vermont, but I now have cousins in California, Montana, Alaska, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, and New York City (I have 35 cousins!). I have never been considered a native anywhere. We were always thought of as "that european family" (what? are you Swedish or something?), even though my grandfather forbid anyone to speak Danish after coming to America ("You are Americans now, speak English!). My mother could not speak Danish now even if she tried and I never learned, but my father still has a fairly thick accent. The point is, it does not matter where you come from, but how well you participate where you are now.

JnV

Old 03-08-2007, 09:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,982,687 times
JOEINVT: "The point is, it does not matter where you come from, but how well you participate where you are now."

I couldn't agree more! Can we put that on a billboard?

Old 03-08-2007, 09:27 AM

225 posts, read 784,486 times
Default transplants

JoeinVT

I totally agree with your comments. LOL about the "european family" line. Hope to sse you in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte