U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 07:04 AM

189 posts, read 539,546 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the area shortly and have visited numerous times. I think the people are wonderful in Charlotte. I sense a degree of niceness and people taking their time when helping, waiting, or just in normal conversation that I do not get when I am home in CT. Of course, I do not want to change anything when I come. I love the city and the area just the way it is. I only hope to meet enough new people as all of my friends will still be located in CT.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 08:48 AM

476 posts, read 1,484,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
I am relocating to the area shortly and have visited numerous times. I think the people are wonderful in Charlotte. I sense a degree of niceness and people taking their time when helping, waiting, or just in normal conversation that I do not get when I am home in CT. Of course, I do not want to change anything when I come. I love the city and the area just the way it is. I only hope to meet enough new people as all of my friends will still be located in CT.
Well said. My family feels the same way and hope that those before us haven't given us transplants a bad rap.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:17 PM

239 posts, read 826,588 times
We just moved to Charlotte in January, and we've found our neighbors (the 3 who have intro'd themselves are natives) to be really friendly and helpful...

I'm still trying to get used to all of the friendliness and waving... I sometimes have to force myself to do it, as in CT we almost never introduced ourselves to neighbors- I think we lived more by the motto 'Good fences make great neighbors'...

It's not like we wanted it to be that way-- it just was...

If I forget to wave, or yell a 'hello' over when the neighbor gets home, I hope they understand ...

We picked NW Charlotte, and it's still pretty rural out here. I like it a lot.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:03 PM

4,299 posts, read 14,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
We just moved to Charlotte in January, and we've found our neighbors (the 3 who have intro'd themselves are natives) to be really friendly and helpful...

I'm still trying to get used to all of the friendliness and waving... I sometimes have to force myself to do it, as in CT we almost never introduced ourselves to neighbors- I think we lived more by the motto 'Good fences make great neighbors'...

It's not like we wanted it to be that way-- it just was...

If I forget to wave, or yell a 'hello' over when the neighbor gets home, I hope they understand ...

We picked NW Charlotte, and it's still pretty rural out here. I like it a lot.

Same here, I have to get used to this friendly stuff

Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 PM

225 posts, read 786,076 times
I guess I'm not so bad off here where I am. I know all my neighbors by name. We have block parties and snow shoveling parties in the winter. We generally look out for each other and it's nice. I will really miss my neighbors when we leave. They are truly wonderful. For an inner city neighborhood we have been blessed with such wonderful friends. I hope to carry this to Charlotte when I get there. We have girls night out often and it's a hoot! I'm a party person and my dh can cook his a** off so we make friends easily. So as a new transplant we look forward to meeting new people and making new friends. Even though we are putting a strain on Charlotte, we plan on giving back! We have been involved in our community here and plan to do the same in Charlotte.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:41 PM

10 posts, read 13,615 times
Default NC Native

I have been reading these forums for a while and finally decided I would post. I grew up in Charlotte, lived in Chicago for 3 years and just recently returned to the Ballantyne area. I have to say that the natives have no reason to complain. They created it. Bank of America has morphed from tiny NCNB to Nationsbank to BOA. They basically have gotten rich on the development of this area. In fact, Wachovia is a Winston Salem Bank that has been as insatiable as BOA. Both of these titans have gotten rich on Charlotte's main industry, GROWTH. I welcome any and all as long as they're respectful, but remember we natives aren't the ones with the accent.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:09 PM

95 posts, read 84,949 times
^Wachovia was a Winston-Salem bank. First Union, a Charlotte bank, took over Wachovia and acquired its name.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:15 PM

25 posts, read 61,002 times
I think another way of looking at the influx of newbies to the area may be very beneficial for the culture you are seeking to uphold. I am from South Florida and being a midwestern girl myself (and a transplant) I really do not want to raise my new family in an area where it is pretty much devoid of hospitality and southern charm. It seems that everyone I know is moving up to NC and it is due to the fact that many FL residents do not like the sitting in traffic for 1 1/2 hrs to go 20 miles, cutting people off in lines, and the public school, for the most part, are basically horrible. Many of my friends who have already moved were looking for that "something special" feeling that you get when you know your neighbors names, kids, and when their birthdays are. Not because you have to, but because you want to. You just don't find that here and that is why I think many people are moving up your way.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:22 PM

95 posts, read 84,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missfl98 View Post
It seems that everyone I know is moving up to NC and it is due to the fact that many FL residents do not like the sitting in traffic for 1 1/2 hrs to go 20 miles, cutting people off in lines, and the public school, for the most part, are basically horrible.
No offense intended but the infrastructure problems are associated with growth. You can't escape them by moving to NC. The problems will follow you.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:18 AM

25 posts, read 61,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
No offense intended but the infrastructure problems are associated with growth. You can't escape them by moving to NC. The problems will follow you.
I agree that with growth the cities must respond appropriately with appropriate infrastructure. South Florida is a little behind in that respect with so many people moving in from other places in the US and South America it is simply too much to handle here. I just have found that the growth rate here coupled with the already overcrowded nature of the area is really not comparable to Charlotte in that respect. I know we are not going to escape it but at least it is manageable from what I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte