Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:21 PM

225 posts, read 835,486 times

Advertisements

In bed sick today and wondered if the people of Charlotte are happy with the influx of us northerners, etc.

From what I've read so far on this site the overwhelming numbers of families moving to Charlotte and the surrounding counties have put a definite strain on the infrastructure of many areas. Is everyone really happy about that? We all have our reasons for selecting NC and those reasons are near and dear to us. But how does the general population really feel?

Even though the housing prices for some of us seem cheap, are we driving up the price for the locals and shutting them out of the market? I hear the traffic situtation is not so great now and it could be because of poor planning or the recent influx of families. Taxes are low now, but for how long. We've created overcrowding in the schools. I just don't want to have on rose colored glasses and think everyone is happy about the recent demands we are putting on many small town governments.

When B of A, Capital One, and the other large finanical institutions moved to Charlotte the local economy improved. How many of those jobs are now being taken by us? In some cases we are creating new opportunities and businesses that improve the quality of life for everyone. But is everyone happy about us?

Just throwing this out for insight? All right Charlotte, you tell me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 07:44 PM

476 posts, read 1,575,987 times
I know as a transplant heading that way, the folks on this site have been so willing to help with everything and also very kind.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:56 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
that is a catch 22 question..Living in jersey MOST of the influx the last 5 years majorily have been Staten Island NY and surround areas of NY to Monmouth/Ocean county NJ....In the same token people were really p'od about all of us moving in the roads are horrible, the schools are overcrowded and tons of traffic..However our schools also Improved so much because of the influx it wasnt such a bad thing in the long run....I think it holds true with most places, right now ITS NC in a few years it will be somewhere else....People are being forced out of their home towns because they just cant afford to live there...but I agree with MIK alot of the people have been very helpful and I have to say alot of people on the boards have said most of NC are transplants...because unless you were born and raised there you ARE NOT a native...so to speak...JMO....

Old 01-20-2007, 08:01 PM

225 posts, read 835,486 times
Just trying to get a feel of how people feel about all the added expenses of our move to NC. Sometimes we forget how it is for the other side. I guess there are ups and downs on both sides. Just depends on which window you're looking at the situation from. No harm intended. I know lots of folks review this site without responding. I just wanted to get the natives opinion.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:09 PM

10 posts, read 31,299 times
I am a 'native' of charlotte - one of the few you will find. Personally, I can say I have mixed feelings about the influx of transplants from the midwest and northeast.

As far as the strains on our infrastructure, I really feel that the economic growth outweighs that.

I work for Bank of America, and am aware of the benefits brought to Charlotte by banking. Charlotte has grown by leaps and bounds just in the last 10 years. When I was growing up, people rarely went uptown for anything unless they worked there. Now, uptown has a fairly booming social scene of young professionals. I even live uptown myself. Those kinds of changes are great, and I hope to see more! Charlotte has always felt like a great city that never got the 'big city' recognition it deserved - we kind of fell in Atlanta's shadow.

That said, I do kind of regret that Charlotte is losing its character somewhat. It doesn't even feel like a southern city in a lot of ways. I've always loved old southern towns like Savannah and Charleston, and I hate to see Charlotte lose that part of itself.

We native Charlotteans will have to embrace the city Charlotte is becoming - which is really a big melting pot of people from everywhere, and a mish mash of local cultures from around the U.S.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Transplants far outnumber any "locals". Most of my friends are from somewhere else, but I've found the locals (at least the educated ones) to be very nice and welcoming. Charlotte is an easy place to make friends b/c so many people are relatively "new" to the area and don't have pre-existing social contacts.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:51 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerGirl View Post
I am a 'native' of charlotte - one of the few you will find. Personally, I can say I have mixed feelings about the influx of transplants from the midwest and northeast.

As far as the strains on our infrastructure, I really feel that the economic growth outweighs that.

I work for Bank of America, and am aware of the benefits brought to Charlotte by banking. Charlotte has grown by leaps and bounds just in the last 10 years. When I was growing up, people rarely went uptown for anything unless they worked there. Now, uptown has a fairly booming social scene of young professionals. I even live uptown myself. Those kinds of changes are great, and I hope to see more! Charlotte has always felt like a great city that never got the 'big city' recognition it deserved - we kind of fell in Atlanta's shadow.

That said, I do kind of regret that Charlotte is losing its character somewhat. It doesn't even feel like a southern city in a lot of ways. I've always loved old southern towns like Savannah and Charleston, and I hate to see Charlotte lose that part of itself.

We native Charlotteans will have to embrace the city Charlotte is becoming - which is really a big melting pot of people from everywhere, and a mish mash of local cultures from around the U.S.

Suumer, Very nicely said!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 PM

476 posts, read 1,575,987 times
As a transplant on their way, what you said makes me kind of sad Summergirl . I would think "southern" was part of the draw of folks heading your way. I would think a lot feel that way so it is sad to hear that it is being lost somewhat.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:37 PM

10 posts, read 31,299 times
It is kind of sad. You will still find parts of 'Old Charlotte' that have that spirit, but they are dwindling somewhat.

Don't get me wrong, you will still find a lot of friendly southerners around! My view is a little disorted because I live, work and often play uptown where a native charlottean is a rare thing indeed! Most of the people I interact with have moved here to work for the Bank, or one of those other banks... In the suburbs you will find more natives.

There is still a lot of the south here - we do bbq our own way, racing is obviously pretty big (not a fan myself), family is important, being sweet and polite is important , we like our streets wide and tree-lined, etc. My family is from Charlotte, and all of their friends and their families are from Charlotte, so it definitely exists. It's just kind of a mixed bag of old and new right now, and I'm afraid the new is going to lose out. We are losing some folks to huntersville to the north and fort mill to the south. Hopefully the city will be smart about planning and preserving the old neighborhoods and historic buildings. we shall see!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:18 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times
Huntersville is pretty much devoid of any culture. The culture of Huntersville is retail. Its true. Most Lake Norman cities and towns have been built up only recently. About 90% of these towns didnt exist 5-10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte