Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:48 AM

624 posts, read 2,107,871 times

Advertisements

Firetruck collides with SUV | www.charlotteobserver.com

Highlights that I pulled out...(trying to pull out both sides, though I'm bias)

"traveling to the scene with their red lights and sirens on when the truck from the station on Inwood Drive collided with a maroon SUV that had turned right from Woodlawn Road onto South Boulevard."

"State statute allows for firefighting vehicles to cross a median and allows for driving the wrong way if the circumstances permit as long as the driver maintains the safety of others."

Also note, there was no accident found, which is great to know in hindsight, but you have to determine your response by how the dispatch was given, so honestly, its irrelavent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:21 AM

116 posts, read 332,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Firetruck collides with SUV | www.charlotteobserver.com

Highlights that I pulled out...(trying to pull out both sides, though I'm bias)

"traveling to the scene with their red lights and sirens on when the truck from the station on Inwood Drive collided with a maroon SUV that had turned right from Woodlawn Road onto South Boulevard."

"State statute allows for firefighting vehicles to cross a median and allows for driving the wrong way if the circumstances permit as long as the driver maintains the safety of others."

Also note, there was no accident found, which is great to know in hindsight, but you have to determine your response by how the dispatch was given, so honestly, its irrelavent.
You know that is irony at its finest. About 2 years ago I was travelling down Woodlawn when I saw in front of me 2 cars come to a screeching halt as the first was about to turn onto South Blvd and the second hit the first in the rear. Why did the first car come to an emergency stop? Because an ambulance was heading North on South Blvd and went through the light on sirens and lights. The Ambulance driver must of witnessed this because he pulled over.
Both paramedics just ambled on over looking rather sheepish to make sure the the car drivers were ok. Of course they both were given the minor bump, but my point is another 'EMT driver training exercise' which resulted in an accident.....

Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 AM

624 posts, read 2,107,871 times
The car in the back failed to leave a proper space between him and the car in front of him, what's the problem? What if a kid/child was in the intersection chasing a ball? The car in back still would of rear ended the car in front.

And I don't follow the 'training exercise' comment? or how it's ironic...oh yeah smiley...

I saw a traffic accident once, it was ironic...two cars hit each other and there was nothing to blame but driver error...crazy irony

Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
I am very inclined to side with the driver of the fire truck on this one. If you look at the diagram of the accident scene in today's paper, it's clear that the driver of the SUV turned right off of Woodlawn on to South. When I took Driver's Ed years ago, we were taught that when you turn from one street to another, you turn in to the closest lane, and work your way over. Had the driver of the SUV followed this simple, common sense rule the accident would have been avoided.

I am shocked that so many people who have never been behind the wheel of an emergency vehicle feel qualified to comment on how they're driven. These drivers don't take their reponsibilities lightly, as they are held accountable on many levels. As an emergency worker, I can attest to having my a$$ chewed after citizen complaints. While I always felt I was operating in a safe manner, perception is everything.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:20 PM

27 posts, read 78,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I am very inclined to side with the driver of the fire truck on this one. If you look at the diagram of the accident scene in today's paper, it's clear that the driver of the SUV turned right off of Woodlawn on to South. When I took Driver's Ed years ago, we were taught that when you turn from one street to another, you turn in to the closest lane, and work your way over. Had the driver of the SUV followed this simple, common sense rule the accident would have been avoided.
I thought the exact same thing when I saw that in the paper. I almost got hit yesterday by someone who didn't know this either.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_to_USA View Post
You were there?....and you know this how?
The only way you don't see/hear a firetruck, with electronic siren, mechanical Federal Q siren, air horns, and red and white strobes and LED lights, is to not be paying attention, cause you are doing something besides driving. NC does allow the deaf to drive, but not the deaf and blind.

You were there, and know my assumption not to be the case?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The only way you don't see/hear a firetruck, with electronic siren, mechanical Federal Q siren, air horns, and red and white strobes and LED lights, is to not be paying attention, cause you are doing something besides driving. NC does allow the deaf to drive, but not the deaf and blind.

You were there, and know my assumption not to be the case?
I know YOU weren't there obviously and I never alluded to the fact I was there either. YOU made the broad sweeping statement that the SUV driver MUST have been distracted and didn't see a large red truck with blinding lights and loud sirens barreling down the road.......
What about simple driver error? What about the driver making a bad decision in the heat of the moment? How old was the driver? A senior citizen perhaps with slower than usual skills? A young inexperienced driver perhaps?
Lets face it its not everyday the general population happens upon a driving situation like this and thus bad decisions are made by some.......I for one until I get the facts can at least give the benefit of the doubt.....Moderator cut: flaming ...

Last edited by UK_to_USA; 08-12-2008 at 04:56 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_to_USA View Post
YOU made the broad sweeping statement that the SUV driver MUST have been distracted and didn't see a large red truck with blinding lights and loud sirens barreling down the road.......
Um, no. He did not say this. He said he "would bet that ..." -- well, hell, here it is again. Read it. Seems as possible as anything else. Until I can get the facts I'll at least give his theory the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I would bet that the SUV did not have anyone actively driving the vehicle, even though the drivers seat was occupied. Texting, reading, talking on the phone, changing the radio, playing with their navigation device, drinking their latte, applying make-up, changing cloths, or any of a myriad of other tasks people do instead of driving.
^see? no "MUST"! Just the idea that someone who makes a turn into an oncoming firetruck (even one that's going in through the out door), may have been distracted. IF not likely, it sure seems at least possible.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 AM

Regardless, the posters 'flag' is planted in the corner of belief of distraction. So lets keep on talking semantics shall we..

Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times
Aw, don't like being called out when you're wrong, eh?

Not talking semantics. You called out a poster on something... and in doing so did the same thing that you accused him of doing -- acted like you knew what happened. When he called you on that ... you mis-stated his words to try to justify your hypocrisy.

I am simply a crusader for truths in internets message boards. No need to thank me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte