Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:48 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCruzes View Post
I just spoke with the husband of the couple mentioned in my previous post and my heart is breaking for them. He told me that when they first signed the contract with Ryan and found out about the liens they did not want to proceed. They were not comfortable that so early in the process things were not being disclosed and were concerned it would only get worse (which it has). He told the sales agent (who is mentioned several time in the WT postings) they were not going through with post. The sales agent told them they would not be getting there money back for several years. I guess insinuating that Ryan would keep there money tied up for as long as they could. The husband told me it was all the money they had and they were forced to buy the home because they had no money to fight. He said his dream home as become his nightmare. This is now the 4rd family in this neighborhood to describe their experience in that manner. They were suppose to close yestereday but could not because Ryan installed their septic system in the same crappy (pardon the pun) as they installed ours and another neighbors. Actually after reps from NC visited our site on monday they went directly to this families site. My guess is they stepped in and before it got as bad as ours. Not only that none of us were told that we know have to pay $400-$600 per year for the life of the system to have these systems maintained. That was not disclosed to anyone until after closing. They also failed to tell any of us that the systems we have are classified under Experimental and Innovative there not even conventional systems.
Just out of curiosity - did their realtor offer any suggestions?

Also, depending upon how much they have actually deposited - they may be able pursue it through small claims court (depending on the total amount and the limits in this state) - which would be much cheaper. I hope things can work out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:16 PM

373 posts, read 1,471,566 times
Thanks for the suggestion. I will pass it along to them. I'm not sure they had a realtor.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:51 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCruzes View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I will pass it along to them. I'm not sure they had a realtor.
A lot people buying new construction will not hire a realtor and just go to the sales office. I think its always a good idea to have someone who knows their stuff in your corner, even if all they are doing is sitting there while you pick out all of your options and upgrades.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:33 AM

171 posts, read 621,940 times
Default Checked out Athena sites in Bmore several months ago...

and quickly got a dose of NVR, their "incentive shell game" and the Ryan attitude. Needless to say, I took my $400,000 K and moved on. I have no regrets and found a great rehab in Patterson Park.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 AM

286 posts, read 1,045,226 times
We just closed on a townhouse in Park South Station. I was hesitant about NVR mortgage but they were good to work with and I feel we got a fair deal (not great). The one thing I will say about our new home is that it's not "polished". Paint where it shouldn't be (on carpet), no paint where it should be (missing paint over some cabinets), sheetrock and sanding issues, etc. Good news is everything we've found so far was cosmetic. I'm just a little dissapointed because if ANYONE would have done a walkthrough before walking it with us, they would have noticed these issues ahead of time.

Overall we are still very happy with our decision and look forward to our project manager fixing all the issues we list on our 30 day punch list.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:17 PM

70 posts, read 160,139 times
Since you asked...
We bought and sold a Ryan home a few years ago. It was very shabbily built. We had vaulted ceilings which were obviously uneven - actually none of the ceilings or walls were even or a straight line... The baseboards were warped, the hardwood floors were not laid with the same wood, there were open cracks/crevices between cabinets to make them fit right. All in all it was crazy and I will never purchase a Ryan home again unless it has already been lived in, and the problems fixed, before I get in...
Plus they nickel and dime you for everything.... Would NOT recommend!
JMO!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:47 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
This thread is interesting. I've talked to several people who own/have owned Ryan homes. Ryan seems to polarize people to the extreme one way or the other. It seems there are three schools of thought on Ryan:

1. Homes are great, NVR is ok/good

2. Homes are poor quality, NVR is terrible

3. Home are great, NVR is terrible

I have to admit, I've been tempted to look closer at Ryan because they seem to offer a lot of home for the money. I am very concerned with the issues people are mentioning. I already got burned by P&N Homes. I'd hate to make it two in a row with Ryan!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:55 PM

373 posts, read 1,471,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
This thread is interesting. I've talked to several people who own/have owned Ryan homes. Ryan seems to polarize people to the extreme one way or the other. It seems there are three schools of thought on Ryan:

1. Homes are great, NVR is ok/good

2. Homes are poor quality, NVR is terrible

3. Home are great, NVR is terrible

I have to admit, I've been tempted to look closer at Ryan because they seem to offer a lot of home for the money. I am very concerned with the issues people are mentioning. I already got burned by P&N Homes. I'd hate to make it two in a row with Ryan!

I think your analysis is spot on.

Just to give an update we met with Ryan on July 14th so they could look at the failed septic system again, we have heard nothing since that day. We also recieved the environmental testing back today and the testing confirmed that our field is surrounded by Aspergillus and Pencillum mold both of which produce myotoxins. I have had serious health issues since May, as has our 9 year old son. All of our symptoms are consistant with the effects of these myotoxins. Our neighbors have had some of the same symptons, so we shared the test results with the today since part of the mold has grown and is now growing on their lot. We are probably going to move out until Ryan decides to do something, we are not going to risk our health any further because they fail to act.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:03 AM

15 posts, read 53,519 times
We finally closed on our Ryan home about 2 weeks ago. I still would never go near NVR again, but we did get a surprise $1,500 of closing costs paid by Ryan Homes.. nobody could ever explain how or why it just showed up on closing day but we didn't argue. The day after we moved in, they were just now bringing the water meter out and had to bring plumbers in to test the water. Well of course there was a leak and we had water running out of our ceiling fixtures in our kitchen and living room. This lead to 8 holes in our ceiling and 2 weeks of subcontractors in our new home trying to fix everything. We were beginning to think we were going to be one of the ones hating both Ryan and NVR, but after everything has been fixed, we're loving our home and our PM has been wonderful taking care of us...

Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 23,160 times
so how does NVR work? they qualify you for a loan then sell your loan to a bank? does the bank then have to requalify you for the mortgage when you close? Can NVR make special arrangements that banks cannot? qualifying for a loan in todays market is hard, especially for self-employed folk like myself. so just wondering if NVR could work more miracles then other lenders can...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte