Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 AM

97 posts, read 370,089 times

Advertisements

hey, i am also from NJ. I got the same feelings as you for both NJ and NC.

anyway, i still love NC better. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
They came and did the work while you were expecting it to be covered by warranty and then presented you with the bill.... without you having the opportunity to get other estimates and other opinions on what needed replacing? hmmmm..... I would tell them to sue me.

We just had some electrical work done at our house and I was SHOCKED !!! (lol) at the high prices. I thought the first estimate we got was ridiculous so I got a second estimate - it was about the same, (oh, and we had to PAY for the estimates!!) and we ended up paying more due to some extra work. I guess we were spoiled by our local electrician in NJ - and we thought everything cost more in NJ!!

I think most electricians will bill you way more for an item they provide and install in your home... but 10X? sheesh...

And everything was a la carte. For example, we have 18 ft ceilings and a burned out bulb. My wife asks the electrician, hey, while you are here, could you change that light bulb? The elec replies that it will cost us $175 for him to take his tall ladder off the truck (We didn't even ask if changing the bulb would be extra.) So I picked up a bulb changing kit at Lowes for $20. But that's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 06:58 PM

88 posts, read 201,239 times
I'm in memphis so prices may be higher there, but let me give you a rundown of retail prices currently.

1. Diagnosis $90 depends on location travel cost so this may not be terrible
2. Heat & Cool Circuit Board $400 retail cost here for Goodman 129 or 149
3. Programmable thermostat $360 max cost for fancy touchscreen 200 and that would be high better guess 129-149
4. 24V Gas Valve Natural white rodgers big brand 150 or less

They really screwed you. Next time call a supplier that sell to retail and check prices for yourself. You would have to get the repair man to make 2 trips but it may be worth the extra service charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte