Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 PM

628 posts, read 2,079,814 times

Advertisements

First off...I will not name the Co. in question.

Here is the timeline:

I moved into my new construction townhome in January of 07. Home came with a 1 year warranty on the AC unit.

May 2007: Problem: AC doesn't work properly. It freezes over and does not cool home. Call for service. They come out say we think we found the leak; add 4 lbs of refrigerant and leave. (problem temporarily fixed)

July 2007: Problem: AC doesn't work properly. It freezes over and does not cool home. Call for service. They come out say I might have a leak in the wall. We tightened some fittings and added 3 lbs of refrigerant. (AC operational)

Sept 2007:Problem: AC doesn't work properly. It freezes over and does not cool home. Call for service. They come out say we are low on refrigerant; I have a leak somewhere; we think we found it. Add 4 lbs of refrigerant and leave ( AC operational)

May 2008:Problem: AC doesn't work properly. It freezes over and does not cool home. Call for service. (Warranty now expired). They come out it's the same problem. Tech says he found a leak repaired it...added 4 lbs of refrigerant (there is now a tremendous hole in the ozone layer above my home which can be viewed from space) The technician calls his manager..they do not charge me.

Friday August 1, 2008:AC doesn't work properly. It freezes over and does not cool home. Call for service. (Warranty now expired). I call they say I do not have a service contract therefore they will TRY to get to me. They also state it's an $80.00 charge for them just to come out. I explain the situation and the history behind it. ( I am not paying them anything!!). Again they state we will try to get there today. At 6pm, I call again and am told they are only doing warranty work and service contract work over weekend and I am out of luck. (blood pressure rising!)

Today: I call them and speak to the customer service manager. They apologize for the weekend and say they will TRY to fit me in today!! Again, they state that it's $80 for them to come out and they might have to do a leak detection test at $250 plus any parts and labor!! I ALMOST SNAP!!! Again, I was cordial and explained everything and stated that if they fixed it right the first time I wouldn't be having this problem now...and I don't feel I should pay! This was at 9:15 this morning and I still haven't heard back from them.

At this point...what would you do?? I am giving them until today to fix my AC...if not I will complain to the BBB and hire another company to fix it. Do you think I have a small claims case here?? What would you do? I am ready to rip them a new Ahole however, I want my AC fixed properly and I don't feel that I should have to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,955,454 times
Can you go back to the builder and talk to them?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM

They are useless too....my association has taken over from the builder and the builder washed their hands of our community.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,955,454 times
Always call Action9 Don gets everything handled

Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,663,957 times
I would contact the BBB and then call the company with your complaint number letting them know you are serious about getting proper service. If they identified a leak while it was under warranty then they should have fixed it, the fact that it is still doing the same thing says that they didn't address the problem in the first place.

I'd contact a consumer lawyer and see if you have a case. Action 9 isn't a bad idea either. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
How much total have you had to pay out trying to get it fixed? Hiring an attorney will cost you a lot more than just forgetting it and hiring a new A/C contractor to come fix it.

I am so sorry. Having been thru/ crazy A/C problems (due to improper installation) I totally understand your frustration. Your builder screwed up (well - a subcontractor most likely did - bad installation). Trying to recover anything on this would cost you more than paying to get it fixed. At least, that has been my experience.

I sure hope you get some help. This is outrageous.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
It sounds like the unit was defective from day 1.

Check here to see what your legal rights are. North Carolina Department of Justice (http://www.ncdoj.com/consumerprotection/cp_about.jsp - broken link) Also call the local TV consumer reporter of your choice.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM

I agree with you Ani. They just called me and told me they can't make it today but they will be there tomorrow, if I didn't hire anyone else yet!! Seems kind of odd huh? Anyhow I called a competitor (the one with that song) and they are coming today. When the other one shows up tomorrow I will tell them forget it. I will follow up with the BBB. It seems thye did everything to try to rid themselves of this problem, rather than fixing it. They haven't heard the end though!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
I agree with you Ani. They just called me and told me they can't make it today but they will be there tomorrow, if I didn't hire anyone else yet!! Seems kind of odd huh? Anyhow I called a competitor (the one with that song) and they are coming today. When the other one shows up tomorrow I will tell them forget it. I will follow up with the BBB. It seems thye did everything to try to rid themselves of this problem, rather than fixing it. They haven't heard the end though!
Contacting the BBB, especially by writing a letter or filing an actual complaint, is a great idea. At least you can put it out there that these guys were not reliable - as a warning for other consumers.

God, it is too hot to be going thru/ this. It has been miserable here lately. I can go outside and endure for a while . . . but inside w/o A/C - truly hellatious. Yeah, the dudes wanted to quit messing w/ your problem. They may very well not even have figured out what is truly wrong.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:39 PM

OK...the other company just left...of course the one's that put it in couldn't make it today but will be here tomorrow. This company took a look and was 99% sure that the leak is in the unit in the attic (for him to check to test it it would be $180). He checked with the MFG. and there is a 20 year warranty on the part. Problem is for him to fix it, it will cost a ton of money (it's a big job, lots of labor, at least 1k) He recommended that I get back with the original installation company. I had him put in another 4lbs of refrigerant so at least I'd have AC 2nite. Total cost $280. He also gave me an in depth reciept. Tomorrow when the original company shows up..I am going to demand they find the leak and fix this thing. I will show them all the reciepts from them showing the leak and demand resolution. Any other advice???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte