Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times

Advertisements

I live near Harrs/Mallard Creek intersection and have had no problems so far. Actually I find this area really nice. I only have about a month of experience, but no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
I was obviously being very sarcastic with my post about calling a cop friend...but believe it or not, that was a true occurrence. He is a cop in the UC district and has a very positive attitude about the area. He dispelled any gang rumors and laughed at the thought of UC being one of the worst parts of town...or even a "bad" part of town.

Add to this the fact that I've lived here for a year now and I'm VERY aware of my surroundings...and I feel fine here. Sure, one or two spots make me a little more aware of people around me. I've grown up in similar places and fully believe that everywhere has it's spots. But I also know that those areas are exceptions rather than the norms.

I have no agenda for making people believe that it's a nice area. To be honest, I would probably NOT want people to move here so I can hog the area to myself and keep future development to a minimum!!! But that's not the case. The light rail will bring things to our area that were never before thought possible...which will just create a chain reaction through out the surrounding parcels. UNCC will continue to grow and hopefully get a tight reign around associated crime (UCF did this quite well back in Orlando...so I've seen it done). The sole fact of there being 10's of thousands of middle class people in the area will be a solid reason for stores to stay open and new ones to come in.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Umm, no. How about someone living there 7 days a week.

Cops spend much of their time dealing with the lowest members of society. You don't think that plays a part in how the view and interact with the rest of us??
'How about someone living there 7 days a week.' That falls under those with an agenda. If a cop says that he lives or would move his family into ANY neighborhood I'd say that's a great selling point. Are there that many 'lowest members of society' in UC to fear an honest appraisal from a cop working there? Your fear of a cops judgment because he works in UC is in itself a red flag.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,407 times
Look, you misunderstood my point.

My point is that most cops would NOT want to live in the area where the work. They spend a lot of their time dealing with problems and bad guys. Get it? I don't want to go to the grocery store and run into the guy or gal that I arrested for domestic violence last week.

I don't have an agenda. But I will call folks on what I consider to be BS. Calling the area one of the worst in the city is a bunch of hooey. If it were true, I'd be the first to move elsewhere.

So why don't you run your own experiment? If you don't believe the folks that live there, do it your way. Ask a cop random cop that works in the area what he thinks.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I live near Harrs/Mallard Creek intersection and have had no problems so far. Actually I find this area really nice. I only have about a month of experience, but no problems.
Love that area myself, especially the further north you go on Mallard Creek

Old 04-02-2009, 01:56 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,632 times
We've lived here for 10 years and we love it. We have seen so much growth and improvement in this area, we plan on staying for a long time and reap the benefits of 485 in the coming years (home sales should be very profitable). We moved from Spotsylvania County, VA, and before that Northern Virginia....this is nothing compared to up there. Check the CMPD website for crime stats. Crimes are not concentrated in one area of Charlotte, they are scatterd throughout the Charlotte Metro area. For me, I'd say I live in the Mallard Creek area (off Prosperity Church Rd), I consider the University area, just inside the Cabarrus line to the North, UNCC area to the East, south to City Blvd, and West to Sugar Creek. This is just my personal opinion, some might say something else.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:51 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times
This actually raises a good point. Are there defined boundries? Terms like "University Area" are just generic somewhat arbitrary terms to describe a general area right?

Old 04-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
We've lived here for 10 years and we love it. We have seen so much growth and improvement in this area, we plan on staying for a long time and reap the benefits of 485 in the coming years (home sales should be very profitable). We moved from Spotsylvania County, VA, and before that Northern Virginia....this is nothing compared to up there. Check the CMPD website for crime stats. Crimes are not concentrated in one area of Charlotte, they are scatterd throughout the Charlotte Metro area. For me, I'd say I live in the Mallard Creek area (off Prosperity Church Rd), I consider the University area, just inside the Cabarrus line to the North, UNCC area to the East, south to City Blvd, and West to Sugar Creek. This is just my personal opinion, some might say something else.
You pegged it - those are roughly the boundries of the University AREA

Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 PM

Okay, never done this before...but here is my attempt to show the University Area

Old 04-02-2009, 04:48 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,928 times
I might take it a little further south, to the 29/49 split. Other than that, looks pretty spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte