Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 04:48 PM

69 posts, read 162,540 times

Advertisements

I now live in Syracuse, but lived in Charlotte for 10 years, 9 of which were in the University area, 5 minutes from UNCC. There are alot of ignorant comments about that area. I never once in my 9 years in that area been a victim of a crime. People need to wise up. there are tons of crimes going on in other parts of the city as well. Also, crime numbers have dropped in the University area since they opened a precinct in the University Executive park. Come on people, why are so many against the University area. I absolutely loved living there, loved the duck pond, shopping, wine vault, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 05:07 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
I agree with Metallisteve. I live in U/C...in one of the neighbourhoods that many consider to be declining...Faires Farms. As you can tell by my screen name, I am from Chicago. (the city of, not the suburbs) I am very comfortable here and have no intention of moving nor running from some wild perceptions that some feel it necessary to project.

University City is no more dangerous than anywhere else in Charlotte. It is a lovely, diverse area that has had its issues, but, they are improving. To call it the most dangerous place in Charlotte is ludicrous and also insulting to the people that live here. Many of us have worked very hard to assist the police in cleaning up certain areas (mostly in Faires Farms) and this allegation simply tears down our efforts.

If you think that anywhere in this country is safe without gangs and crime, you need to get your head out of the sand.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:06 PM

104 posts, read 309,290 times
The latest crime stats. Interesting that the South is the only area to increase.
Charlotte Crime Rate Lowest in Years « Windsor Park

Old 03-28-2009, 08:49 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
So...we have an educated person from this crime ridden area. Here are some facts for you posted on the web.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department’s University City Division is only about 18 months old, but it’s already leading the city in an up-tick in crime. Crime across Charlotte-Mecklenburg is up 9 percent. According to the latest crime statistics released on Tuesday, the division has had an increase in crime by 34 percent over the first five months of this year compared to the same amount of time in 2007. Robberies in the division are up more than 56 percent, burglaries are up 28 percent and larceny is up 34 percent. Michael Amoah, who recently had his minivan stolen from his own driveway in the area, said the trend is worrisome.

“Yeah, it's scary. You wouldn't like to live in a place where the crime goes up, so we would be glad if they could do something about it for us,” he said.

Police said they're trying to figure out why crime is up in the northeast portion of Charlotte and they’re also moving more officers to the division.

Deputy Chief Jerry Sennett said four new recruits will hit the streets this week.

“A lot of property crime is up there. They have a lot of neighborhoods out there that are having some issues right now,” he said. “We've sent additional resources to the University division.”

Police in the area point to an increase in foreclosures that may be adding to the crime, but they can't pinpoint an exact reason.

Residents, though, are hoping for answers.

“You know, it's frightening because you have to do everything before dark. Now you can't do anything in the daylight without things happening,” said Shantere Mayfield-Belton.

Police said the crime statistics for June are looking more encouraging. Those numbers will be released in August.

Want More.....here's a shocker for those in denial!
Visit the Charlotte PD's web site and see the numbers for yourself.
My advice - buy a gun!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
Default watch video made by wsoc tv

Crime Spikes In CMPD’s University City Division - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 03-28-2009, 09:04 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
Wow...talk about an agenda! You know that interwebs...always full of truth! Please, do dig up some more fact-filled stories from a few years ago!

This is entertaining...keep it coming [nonCharlotte] Mike! Please...I'll go get some popcorn, you think up a new post. I can't wait to see what it tries to spew!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:58 PM

71 posts, read 239,285 times
I live in South Charlotte, but work in the Promenade. I agree that it isn't the safest area, but you are going to find crime wherever you go. I don't feel unsafe when I walk to my car at 10pm, but that could be because we have a police officer on duty from 9pm to about 5am. My store is a 24 hour store and I've been there a little over a year and we have actually been robbed three times in that time period......I guess I'm not really making a good arguement for the area! I am totally not agreeing with with Mike though. I work in a pharmacy and they are targets no matter where you go.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:27 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
So, ClevelandMike, why don't you share with us the reason for your obvious wish to share with the world how horrible this place is? Apparently, you are from Cleveland, which is not well known for it's Utopian living, so, it is not that you are shocked that crime exists...so, pray tell, what IS your agenda?

Old 03-28-2009, 03:32 PM

104 posts, read 309,290 times
Here are the Feb crime stats from the police department.
Home (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Prevent+Crime/Crime+Statistics/Home.htm - broken link)

I am happy crime is down all over our great city.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:45 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Cleveland, That story is from July. There was a crime spike throughout the city last summer. More recently, crime is down. So they opened a police substation. Good. They should open more substations throughout the city. Wal-Mart on Harris wasn't "forced" to close. It did scale back on 24-hour operations because of a few late-night robberies, which happens anywhere. But it's expanding into a Super Wal-Mart near the new IKEA. That doesn't sound like decline to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by look at the people around you. Yeah, there are black people and Latino people and Asian people and Indian people here. Sorry if that makes you feel unsafe. But that sounds like your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte