Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:01 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times

Advertisements

I hear Cleveland smells funny and has a rabid monkey infestation.True story! It's on the interwebz!!! (see attachment for proofs!)
Attached Thumbnails
University City Tryon, Harris, Mallard Creek Church-cleveland.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 08:29 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times
Where did I mention races? I hope your popcorn is tasty, and yes Cleveland is a dump just like Detroit, South Chicago, East LA, Harlem and Buffalo. I am sorry you fools are denying the high crime
in the UC area...If one person with common sense reads the facts and understands the dangers in the area, I win. One great place to watch people get robbed and or car jacked is the Grand Promenade. Ask the person from the pharmacy about the car jacking and shoot out at ashley furniture. What about the UNC professor that was killed in the graveyard next to Wild Wings last year? Please keep the hood rolling.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:33 AM

Cleveland is a big giant Zoo without a zoo keepers - the police force stays on strike
and the animals run rapid. you bet it smells!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 AM

518 posts, read 2,061,058 times
Here are some crime stats.....

Division Crime Stats (http://charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Prevent+Crime/Crime+Statistics/Division+Crime+Stats.htm - broken link)

Old 03-29-2009, 11:54 AM

575 posts, read 1,515,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Cleveland, That story is from July. There was a crime spike throughout the city last summer. More recently, crime is down. So they opened a police substation. Good. They should open more substations throughout the city. Wal-Mart on Harris wasn't "forced" to close. It did scale back on 24-hour operations because of a few late-night robberies, which happens anywhere. But it's expanding into a Super Wal-Mart near the new IKEA. That doesn't sound like decline to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by look at the people around you. Yeah, there are black people and Latino people and Asian people and Indian people here. Sorry if that makes you feel unsafe. But that sounds like your problem.
"They should open more substations throughout the city." Usually when a sub station is opened its indicative of a crime problem and a way to quiet the community organizers who probably pushed for it. Just because a sub station is opened the crime problem doesn't go away and the sub station is usually just window dressing.

"It did scale back on 24-hour operations because of a few late-night robberies".
Pretty telling when any store needs to cut back their store hours because the neighborhood is unsafe. Is there a racial bias on the part of the store manager who made that decision?? Or is the decision based on customer and employee safety?

"because of a few late-night robberies, which happens anywhere" Complete BS that is far from the truth. Yes it pretty simple to understand that a crime can happen anywhere but the excuse makers like to have it appear that one crime a month in a good neighborhood is equivalent to one crime a week in a not so good neighborhood. So the area with a crime rate 4x higher is as safe as a good neighborhood because crime can 'happen anywhere'.

"But it's expanding into a Super Wal-Mart near the new IKEA. That doesn't sound like decline to me." Lets see how these stores do in 6 months after the novelty wears off. They may need to add security and/or cut hours.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:17 PM

69 posts, read 162,510 times
Honestly, why such a negative tone toward the University area Clevelandmike or whatever your screen name is? Why the hatred? I don't get it. If you don't like the area, stay away from it. Adults can make their own decisions and read the stats for themselves. You are making the UC out to be the worst part of the city, which by far, it is not.
Dude, by the way, I grew up south of Buffalo, so quit dumping on that place as well. My gosh, what a negative person. I would hate to be your friend. Don't know if I would climb out of bed after talking to you. Like I said, I lived in the UC for 9 years and never had a problem. Crime is every where in a city that continues to grow and can't cope with the growing. Just let it go dude!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
So, maybe Cleveland Mike's issue is that this is NOT the Utopia that he thought it was and now he has sour grapes?

I am quite certain that there are not random shootouts at the Promenade. We would hear about it as enamored as the local news is with scandal-based news. Anytime I have been there, it has been fine. Again, I live and work in U/C and have since 2000. I love it here!! Couldn't live anywhere else in Charlotte...this is where I feel very comfortable.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:08 PM

People wanted to know why businesses are closing, if there are safety concerns and why home equity is dropping in the University City area.

Ok rocket scientists - what answers do you have on all three questions?
the easy cop out will be to blame the economy, like everyone else.

Oh yeah - just saw on the news about Coffee Cup moving to Noda.
Do you know how long this restaurant has been in business?
I have eaten at the old location downtown since 1988. The owner said
the UC location was a bad choice. People like you should have been
supporting them by eating there instead of going to iHop. Oh well...bye
bye University and very good choice on your new location.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Just trying to get people's thoughts on the area of Tryon Street from Harris to Mallard Creek Church. Do people really consider this area rough? I've noticed when people talk about UCity, they recommend people only consider North of Harris and West of I-85, but that cuts off the heart of the neighborhood, The 'Shoppes,' the Hospital, the research campus and a few great bars.

I just get a little defensive when someone recommends people staying away from that area. I lived in Walden Court Apartments at JW Clay and Tryon from 2001-Oct. 07 and NEVER was a victim of crime or felt threatened. A few car-breakins in the complex is the only crime I remember.

I loved that I was able to walk to the boardwalk, grocery store, etc. I would like the area to stay nice because it has such potential as a real "center" for UCity, plus it's not really been plagued with the traffic problems the rest of UCity has. But I worry about it getting a bad reputation and declining.

I have noticed a lot of stores packing up and leaving the area. What's going on?
I miss that area so much.

Reading what you wrote brought sweet memories of Charlotte. I used to jog around boardwalk, many mornings. The evening strolling was a more pleasant experience. I still remember standing on the other side, gazing at the big "H" in the Hilton hotel there.

During my most difficult moments, I would whisk away to boardwalk and restlessly do the rosary as I strolled.

The boardwalk was my stress hide-out.

I used to do a lot of math on why this area ran out of favour with the locals. Before crucifying me, take note of the fact that I'm not a racist white American. I'm a legal alien.

1. The Asian population of the area was on the rise. Reason: Too much offshoring/outsourcing by Bank of America and Wachovia. There are apartment communities filled completely with Indians and Chinese, that the white folks literally ran away to suburbs where they can see more familiar faces, also aided by the fact that this area had communities which was predominantly black.

2. The immigrant population is not very friendly. I am one of them too, except that I am a self-proclaimed exception. They are not used to bonding, social integration and not very outgoing. Culturally, Americans tend to brand this rude behaviour, when, in fact, it's not. Clear cross-cultural gaps.

3. The rise of immigrants gave rise to crime. I have nothing against blacks but I'm gonna call a spade a spade. The black people are considerable in numbers in the adjacent neighbourhoods, say, all through Graham, Sugar Creek road etc. While honourable black people do exist, thugs do as well.

The immigrants come in with a lot of goodies. They don't fight back. Every apartment has 3 or 4 roommates. Each one has at least two laptops, considering the work they do. The presence of at least 8 laptops per apartment is a great place to start for crime, naturally. Then the rest of the electronics like iPod or iPhones.

I can bet on my bum that every week, a laptop was getting stolen from the Asians. Most of these people commute by CATS buses. They are an easy target to hit and run. This sole aspect makes mugging/shooting so easy.

Some of the guys I knew were mugged 3 times in a row.

Once, a guy I knew was cornered by two black men. One of them punched his face, while the other took stock of all his goodies. Then he went on to say that the punch didn't produce any blood, so he punched him again, hard enough that he bled. He knocked his teeth or something.

When I met this guy, I saw how disfigured his face was, with broken teeth. And many of the mugging incidents never got reported too. Some of the girls I used to know are extremely timid and doing police is culturally taboo.

And the guys literally pi$$ in their pants, when an army of four black men walk towards them. Most of the time, it would be a non-incident. But the fear is widespread.

4. The university was a hotbed of young people. Naturally, this was an area of constant theft, smashing of cars and hate crimes, all across the university boulevard, say.

Having said this, I have never been a victim of mugging or crime. Frankly I found the black people very friendly, as friendly as the white people. I realised how friendly Charlotte was when I left Charlotte for NYC for a new job. People up in NYC tend to be very stuck-up. I can only say things are friendlier in the South. I have moved to Denver now and this is an okay city too. But Charlotte was the best.

I think one of the reasons may have been that I didn't use the bus, like the rest of my kind. I absolutely don't have much exposure walking around to bus stops or waiting for a bus for that matter.

I used the bus for just a month or something. I whined about the pain in the bum about using the bus and my father quickly sent his spoiled kid money to get a car.

I miss Charlotte so bad

Old 03-29-2009, 04:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
People wanted to know why businesses are closing, if there are safety concerns and why home equity is dropping in the University City area.

Ok rocket scientists - what answers do you have on all three questions?
the easy cop out will be to blame the economy, like everyone else.

Oh yeah - just saw on the news about Coffee Cup moving to Noda.
Do you know how long this restaurant has been in business?
I have eaten at the old location downtown since 1988. The owner said
the UC location was a bad choice. People like you should have been
supporting them by eating there instead of going to iHop. Oh well...bye
bye University and very good choice on your new location.
Wow, you certainly have a big chip on your shoulder about a very nice area.

Obviously there's a story behind all your criticism of the University area - why not share it to put all your claims about the area in context? You definitely have a biased opinon, and therefore not a very objective one. If you REALLY think anyone reading what you have written will take you seriously without more info to go on, you are sadly mistaken. Posters like you are automatically suspect unless you can prove you aren't a troll and have a REAL reason for all you claim. So, what's your story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte