Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:13 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
People wanted to know why businesses are closing, if there are safety concerns and why home equity is dropping in the University City area.

Ok rocket scientists - what answers do you have on all three questions?
the easy cop out will be to blame the economy, like everyone else.

Oh yeah - just saw on the news about Coffee Cup moving to Noda.
Do you know how long this restaurant has been in business?
I have eaten at the old location downtown since 1988. The owner said
the UC location was a bad choice. People like you should have been
supporting them by eating there instead of going to iHop. Oh well...bye
bye University and very good choice on your new location.
The location where the Coffee Cup was has been the home of about 4 restaurants now. It is a poor location for a restaurant, away from the busy street traffic and not easily accessible. I am sad that it closed down there, but, it also closed the other location...which was in south Charlotte, if I am not mistaken.

Property values have decreased across the city. I know this to be fact; I am a mortgage underwriter. One of the most upscale areas of the city, Huntersville, has taken a huge hit. It is very sad.

The other poster that is from another country gave some interesting points. I find the cultural diversity refreshing, but, I do know that sometimes folks from other countries have been harassed by the less-educated among us. I also understand what he was saying about the cultural divide. However, one of the things that makes U/C a great place to live is the cultural diversity!! I love being able to go into a store and hear 4/5 different languages spoken among my other shoppers. I have read in the editorial pages how some find this to be offensive, but, that is quite the opposite for me.

Also to that poster: Charlotte's bus system is quite different from that of other cities. I agree that it can be intimidating to ride the bus here, most other places it is not that way. I am sorry that there were those in this community that made it uncomfortable for you and hope that others that are here now are not treated that way. (not likely, but, one can hope!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
The other poster that is from another country gave some interesting points. I find the cultural diversity refreshing, but, I do know that sometimes folks from other countries have been harassed by the less-educated among us. I also understand what he was saying about the cultural divide. However, one of the things that makes U/C a great place to live is the cultural diversity!! I love being able to go into a store and hear 4/5 different languages spoken among my other shoppers. I have read in the editorial pages how some find this to be offensive, but, that is quite the opposite for me.

Also to that poster: Charlotte's bus system is quite different from that of other cities. I agree that it can be intimidating to ride the bus here, most other places it is not that way. I am sorry that there were those in this community that made it uncomfortable for you and hope that others that are here now are not treated that way. (not likely, but, one can hope!)
You don't have to be sorry at all I have no regrets about this area or Charlotte at all. I merely felt I could state some practical facts which I know are the blue print for the crux of the problem with this particular area.

I have never been personally mugged or even mistreated by anyone. These are just other cases from those I used to know.

The closest I had come to was with disgruntled Americans about outsourcing. But I can certainly empathize with the anger, except that they failed to see that my problem was similar and no different to theirs. In Charlotte, my job was offshored to India, my home sweet home.

So I went to New York. The economy went so bad they offshored my job to Brazil, in the name of cost cutting.

Today I'm in Denver. I don't know what is to come. Life moves on. Some of my compatriots reading this might call me a traitor.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:21 PM

311 posts, read 916,068 times
University area is no detroit, but it is no Pleasantville either. Ask any cop that works in the area. I know a few different ones who all will give you a weird face when asked if the university area is a good area.. they all know first hand that it's not a great area, just some facts for you. Not everyone will be victimized in an area with crime.. so that is where you may feel it is safe (b/c you've never been victimized), but I'd rather live where there is little to no crime and less thug like creatures walking around.. aka OUT of Mecklenburg!!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:39 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,407 times
the fact that you are a legal alien does not excuse you from prejudice. Just thought you shoud know since you seem to be under the impression that only white people deal with this affliction. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
You don't have to be sorry at all I have no regrets about this area or Charlotte at all. I merely felt I could state some practical facts which I know are the blue print for the crux of the problem with this particular area.

I have never been personally mugged or even mistreated by anyone. These are just other cases from those I used to know.

The closest I had come to was with disgruntled Americans about outsourcing. But I can certainly empathize with the anger, except that they failed to see that my problem was similar and no different to theirs. In Charlotte, my job was offshored to India, my home sweet home.

So I went to New York. The economy went so bad they offshored my job to Brazil, in the name of cost cutting.

Today I'm in Denver. I don't know what is to come. Life moves on. Some of my compatriots reading this might call me a traitor.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
the fact that you are a legal alien does not excuse you from prejudice. Just thought you shoud know since you seem to be under the impression that only white people deal with this affliction. ;-)
I don't understand. But I don't have any personal prejudice.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
I think this guy is talking about the 22 Graham Street bus. The 54X is the furthest thing from intimidating...dare I say it's "sterile" with the upper-middle class riders. The 22 goes through a somewhat rough area, and sure, someone with a laptop or other high value doo-hickie on them could most certainly be a target. Add to that the preconceived notion that the person won't fight back and won't talk to the cops...shoot, if I weren't such a goody two-shoes I'd rob them!!!

All this bus talk boils down to street smarts. Just like you shouldn't go walking through some neighborhoods due to an increased chance of getting into some sort of trouble, you probably shouldn't ride a bus that heads straight through such a neighborhood (the 22). But just because some overseas easy target folks got on the wrong bus and tried to head into uptown by way of a rough part of town and got mugged, that doesn't make the University City area bad!

And to [nonCharlotte]Mike...tisk tisk big guy. Refrain from the insults, will you? If you can't play nice while spewing your propaganda, go home (to the Cleveland forum, please).

Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,928 times
The 11 and 22 go through some rough areas. Still, I never had a problem on the 11, and I rode it home at 1230 am five days a week for a year. I had not thought of the angle from the immigrants in the area. But it is interesting to note. I do feel a bit sorry for someone who thinks they'd have to avoid and entire county just for the sake of feeling safe.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 PM

Guys, I don't seek to discredit these areas at all. I have lived there. It's just that I attempted to jot some reasons down as to why this county may have fallen out of favour.

54X hits into I-85 in a jiff. It's a pretty neat ride.

But a fair share of the incidents involved 54X too. The communities along the 54X, 11U and 22 routes have sizeable Asian (Indian and Chinese) immigrant population, owing to the proximity of public transport.

Say 54X, it gets off 85 and enters that Alexander school area which has got a couple of neighbourhoods, then comes the Vinoy, over to Autumn Park and into Harris with a whole lot of other neighbourhoods.

That face punching incident was with a guy who was off 54X towards his home around 6pm or something. The 54X return crowd is really fat around 5pm and tends to get scanty by the hour.

Incidents as these can easily warp the crime stats of this area.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:36 AM

I wasn't referring to your comment colossus. I was referring to HomeSweetHomes. "but I'd rather live where there is little to no crime and less thug like creatures walking around.. aka OUT of Mecklenburg!!" Kinda silly to write off the entire county like that.

I don't know that you can peg the crime on the buses either, but I guess walking around some of those areas where there aren't a lot of pedestrians probably makes you a target. The guy wasn't ON the bus when it happened was he? I agree that some of the buses aren't the most pleasant, but I've been pretty satisfied with the Charlotte system except for crosstown service.

The Coffee Cup was Juniors before then, and then the Black Oak Grille. It is a bad location, but I think the right restaurant would do well there. Isn't the Panera still thriving after about 3 years? Starbucks has been in that strip mall forever. Kohl's, too. I guess the chains do well.

And, if you think NoDa has less crime, I think you're mistaken.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:44 AM

Here's something more recent on crime in the area. March 4, 2009.

University City reports biggest crime drop | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/277/story/575449.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte