Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:00 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
University area is no detroit, but it is no Pleasantville either. Ask any cop that works in the area. I know a few different ones who all will give you a weird face when asked if the university area is a good area.. they all know first hand that it's not a great area, just some facts for you. Not everyone will be victimized in an area with crime.. so that is where you may feel it is safe (b/c you've never been victimized), but I'd rather live where there is little to no crime and less thug like creatures walking around.. aka OUT of Mecklenburg!!
Yeah, I would like to know where this alleged Utopia is...certainly not NY!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times
Easy access to Coffee cup....you must be nuts. It could not be more accessible to the area. The owner closed because people like you did not support it! Be real.
Mortgage underwritting does not qualify you as a Realtor or a Broker in Charge - you write mortgages. You do not have a slight clue about property values! You underwrite mortgage loans,
you are not an appraiser. Give us some feedback on percentages of people in the UC area that can't qualify for loans.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:09 AM

Thanks HomeSweetHomeNY!
How stupid of me not to mention this most important fact....Yes, ask any Cop
in the area if its safe! In fact, go the to sherriff's office behind iHop and ask them too.
Employees at the DMV will be willing to tell you as well. Ask any employee at any UC store or restaurant, if its safe. I would love to see your faces once you hear for yourselves - the truth.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times
Alright [nonCharlotte]Mike, let's try your science experiment!

I'm calling my friend who is a CMPD cop in the UC district. Give me just a second.

OK, I have him on the line.

Me: Are any gang problems, specifically the feared "Bloods," in University City.
Reply: "Haha...no! Who told you that?"
Me: "Some numskull on the interwebz. Stick with me, there are more fun questions to follow."
Reply: "OK"

Me: Did CMPD open a satellite office in UC just because of the skyrocketing crime?
Reply: "Ummm...no. The old CMPD satellite office that covered the area was based near what is Northlake Mall today. They had to cover all the way down past UNCC--basically all of what is today 'Univeristy City.' Resources were getting stretched too thin with the growth that the area experienced. Hence, the need for a new district and station. Did the same nutjob tell you this too?"
Me: Unfortunately.
(note...from the CMPD website...some stats about the US Division:
The University City Division covers approximately 46.8 square miles in northern Mecklenburg County and has an estimated population of 93,551. There are 89 Officers, 3 Response Area Commanders, 7 Sergeants, 1 Investigative Technician and a Captain assigned to the division...
That's larger than a huge percentage of most US cities. Any more questions about why CMPD opened a satelite station out here???)

Me: OK...one last question...can CMPD raid someone's house, destroy all computer equipment, and detain someone for several months without food or water on the grounds of spreading innacurate, propagandistic, slightly delusional, and overall idiotic lies on the internet?
Reply: "So you want us to arrest the whole country???"
Me: Oh. Good point. Nevermind...thank you for your time.

Sorry [nonCharlotte]Mike. Sounds like you've been deflated, again. To add a visual to this, as you requested:
My face before talking to cop friend:
My face after talking to cop friend:
Your face after learning of your defeat:

Old 03-30-2009, 07:10 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Thanks HomeSweetHomeNY!
How stupid of me not to mention this most important fact....Yes, ask any Cop
in the area if its safe! In fact, go the to sherriff's office behind iHop and ask them too.
Employees at the DMV will be willing to tell you as well. Ask any employee at any UC store or restaurant, if its safe. I would love to see your faces once you hear for yourselves - the truth.
Still waiting for your story...what IS your problem, really????

Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Still waiting for your story...what IS your problem, really????
Holy funkymonk! You're a Carolinian, cool!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 AM

Hey Steve- Your rose colored glasses are pretty but not very pratical. You are pro-University so why would you write the truth. The fabricated story could get people hurt that are not familar with the dangerous area the UC is known for. You called on behalf of people interested in knowing the hard truth about the unsafe area? - is hilarious. Did you know that a prostition ring was conducting business on the second floor parking deck of the Promenade. Hookers used 230 E WT Harris Blvd as their business address on their business cards! Think I made that up? Did you know a UNC Professor was killed in the cemetery next to the Kinko's and in between the BW3 Wild Wings? he was a Math professor and murder was not made public. Why was it not made public....to protect the bad reputation of the area!!! The news media can't keep up with all the "stuff" going on up their and the local government is trying hard to protray the UC area as a great place to work and live.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:26 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
wow.

As a long-time Charlotte resident who has discussed crime @ the University area on this forum I feel compelled to add my opinion:

Cleveland Mike's sensational alarmism is misdirected. The University area has crime (like any urban area), but the danger factor is nowhere near what this guy makes it out to be. Any resident of the area will confirm, and I think several have already...

Citing a few crimes in an area hardly indicts the quality of the area as a whole...

Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
wow.

As a long-time Charlotte resident who has discussed crime @ the University area on this forum I feel compelled to add my opinion:

Cleveland Mike's sensational alarmism is misdirected. The University area has crime (like any urban area), but the danger factor is nowhere near what this guy makes it out to be. Any resident of the area will confirm, and I think several have already...

Citing a few crimes in an area hardly indicts the quality of the area as a whole...
EXACTLY. No one is going to give his alarmist attitude much credibility at this point as he appears completely biased with some hidden agenda only he understands

Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Hookers used 230 E WT Harris Blvd as their business address on their business cards!

Imagine having those all made up? All pink colored...maybe spray a little perfume on 'em before handing those out.

In all the times I've ever been solicited either in Lower Manhattan or around 8th Avenue, I have never been given a business card. I wouldn't have taken anyone up on it, but I sure would've kept one as a "just because".

Quote:
Think I made that up?

Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte