Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Nice story - can't wait to see you all on the news one day saying ....geee I can't believe this would happen here. I've been living here for 10 years and I just don't understand. The peolple here are so nice, how can this happen? - You kinda' get the drift. Good Luck and happy trails.
Gee, my feelings are starting to get hurt

Are you IGNORING me ClevelandMike??? You STILL haven't answered ANY of my questions, OR told us about this "professor murdered at UNCC".

Still waiting for a response...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I almost think the university keeps the are more stable than it would be otherwise. I know that there is probably a lot of crime of opportunity (car break-ins, shoplifting, etc.,)around the campus because of the number of easy targets, I think the economic engine the University provides supports a lot of the businesses which keeps the area more desireable.

Do you have any stats on universities and crime, loves? Not arguing with you, I'm just interested to know where the perception of crimes around universities comes from.
It comes from reality I'm afraid - though not to the degree alleged by our interesting friend ClevelandMike. You could go on the CMPD website to see crime maps if you want The student apartments right around campus have problems with breakins, home invasions and car thefs.

As far as crime being a growing problem on large college campuses in general, that's been pretty well documented that last few years. Here is just one article discussing the issue:

Campus crime on rise nationwide - News

Old 03-30-2009, 07:11 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
All those in denial..... I challenge you to walk from the Sherrif's Dept. to the Police Sub Station in the evening when it's Dark. Saturday evenings around 10-11pm are the best! Take some notes and let us know how managed. If you really want to try your luck, make sure you wear a bullet proof vest and hit it around 1 or 2am. - Yo!

Umm... that area is not a walking area. Why in the world would anyone walk about at 10-11pm at night in the DARK in a place where there are NO sidewalks and cars travel at 50 MPH??

Now if you would like to join me for a stroll in my neighborhood at 10pm, sure. My neighbor walks her 12 years old cocker spaniel every night around 10pm and every morning around 5am.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:57 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Did you know a UNC Professor was killed... he was a Math professor and murder was not made public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike
Nobody acknowledges the UNC Professor that was killed - what's the matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
WHAT UNCC professor that was killed??? There was a UNCC instructor beaten and robbed in uptown Charlotte last fall - but he wasn't killed. And that didn't even happen in the University area!!! What the heck are you talking about???
For those unfamiliar with the story.

18-year-old arrested in brutal beating of UNCC professor (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/633556.html - broken link)

Quote:
Police have made an arrest in the brutal beating of a UNC Charlotte professor who was left in a coma for months and is still recovering from those injuries.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say they took an 18-year-old man into custody Monday in Davidson County and charged him with the robbery and beating of UNCC faculty member Narayan Dhakal last fall.

Dhakal, a 42-year-old mathematics teacher, was leaving a bar in Charlotte's uptown area about 1:40 a.m. last Oct. 10 and was walking back to his car, when he was approached by three men. Police say the attackers began kicking Dhakal in the head, kicking him several times and leaving him unconscious. He was left in a coma for about two months. Dhakal also was robbed during the attack.
Again. Not killed and the tragic attack wasn't in the university area.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
For those unfamiliar with the story.

18-year-old arrested in brutal beating of UNCC professor (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/633556.html - broken link)

Again. Not killed and the tragic attack wasn't in the university area.
Exactly my point yesterday

But I guess some people would rather post inaccurate info when they have an ax to grind

Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 PM

13 posts, read 39,685 times
The area described in the topic title, in my opinion, is one of Charlotte's worst. I specifically REFUSE to live on or near campus because of it. I've had my vehicle broken into, seen numerous crimes take place in the vicinity, received scores of e-mails from UNCC Campus Police and CMPD about crime in the area.

I am glad you have never been the victim of a crime in that area. Does that mean it is safe? Hell no. JW Clay is awful. In fact, after my last trip to the Wal-Mart on JW Clay, I am going to just go ahead and flat out say you could not pay me enough to go back into that store. The constantly watching over my back is too much for me. The University is nice, but I do not like the area. My girlfriend lived in the Hunt Club Apartment Complex for two years and I spent nearly every night there with her the last year because of the crime in the area.

From the constant break-ins, to the rapes, to the armed robberies, to the felony larcenies of motorcycles, to the senseless murders, why do YOU think businesses and residents are leaving?

Remember the two CMPD police officers gunned down for no reason at all? North Charlotte is horrible. North Tryon is horrible. The University AREA is awful. I am glad you feel safe and secure, but don't go out constantly at night, because in this area of Charlotte you are setting yourself up to be victimized. When you least expect it, it will happen. I have supported Charlotte and always will. I remember the night my truck was broken into, I was talking to my girlfriend about never being the victim of a crime in this city.

Right when you feel the most secure, the thugs of this city will come make you their next victim.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Really??? North Charlotte is horrible?? Constant break ins? Rapes?

Just made it home from class at UNCC. I guess I'm not on the list of folks receiving those scores of emails about crime in and around campus.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 PM

13 posts, read 39,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Really??? North Charlotte is horrible?? Constant break ins? Rapes?

Just made it home from class at UNCC. I guess I'm not on the list of folks receiving those scores of emails about crime in and around campus.
Are you kidding me? Yes North Charlotte is one of the worst in the region. The e-mails come and go in spurts. You may go a month without one but then you will get a week where you get nothing but Campus Alerts. Is this your first year or something?

Yes, constant break-ins. I encourage you to use CMPD's website to map the crime in the region. I think you'll find some statistics that may reduce your love affair with North Charlotte. Take a quick trip down North Tryon and you're instantly in the ghetto. Minutes away!

It's certainly a wonderful place to live. Eastway Drive is mere minutes away. North Tryon turns into the hood, with CONSTANT BREAK-INS, ARMED ROBBERIES. Yes. 97 Registered sex offenders live within FIVE miles of the campus.

In the first 15 days of March, there was indeed a rape within a quarter mile of campus. From about Feb 13-Mar 15 I see 42+ REPORTED INCIDENTS from the North Tryon-Mallard Creek Intersection, down to the apartments across from the new main entrance, to about Suther Rd. In comparison to the rest of the county, let alone the rest of the Metro area, North Charlotte is pretty rough. Only the Eastway and Independence Divisions rival it in terms of crime. North Charlotte has turned bad in recent years, especially if you have not lived here your whole life. If you had, you could tell that North Charlotte is rapidly becoming the next Eastland Mall area... with more target victims, students. I'll be happy to get out of there in the next semester.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Unfortunately, it's not a surprise that there's a rape near a college campus. I don't know the specifics of this case, but it's not unlikely that it was a student doing the perpetrating. It happens a lot where there are young people and lots of alcohol. Doesn't really speak to the area.

Also, those cops were definitely not shot in the University area but in east Charlotte. Please get that right. The complex was a good 6-7 miles away from UNCC in east Charlotte, which has gone downhill. University area will never become Eastway/Independence. With the economic boost of the campus and other businesses, I don't see the city letting that happen.

I was looking at the same stats over the last month. Of all those incidents, the majority were shoplifting from the several strip malls. Only two violent crime incidents, the rape and a strong-arm robbery in the shopping center where Flying Saucer is, over that month.

42 incidents in a month for an area with 70,000 people is actually pretty good.

There were a couple car break-ins and a few burglaries. But the number of apartments is so dense, that can be misleading when you look at other areas such as south Charlotte with mostly single-family homes.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:37 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
49er, I'm sorry your car got broken into. It's been a real problem in the area, and I know a lot of people who have been affected by this. We need more lights in our parking lots, more police presence and more pedestrian-friendly options so that people will actually be out walking, which will deter such crimes of opportunity.

However, a car break-in problem does not mean the area is dangerous. It's not right to compare car break-ins to violent crimes. It does nothing but heighten people's fears. I've just done a ton of .5-mile searches from various intersections around the campus and U City going back to Jan. 1, 2007. I did not find A SINGLE MURDER NEAR UNCC!! So talk of "senseless murders" is unfounded and incorrect.

Plus, while the number of car break-ins is way too high, averaging one every two days in the area over that time period, probably due to the number of dimly-lit, tree-covered parking lots in apartment complexes, the number of violent crime/armed robberies is quite low. For instance, in two years and three months, there were 11 armed robberies within a half-mile of the main campus entrance.

Let's compare that to an intersection in S. Charlotte -- N.C. 51 and Carmel Road -- where there were 12 armed robberies in the same time, in simarlarly dense business environment, but with far less residential density.

I don't hear people crying this way about Carmel Commons.

Within 1/2 mile of Eastway and Central, there were 49 armed robberies in this time period. It seems to me, UCity has more in common with S. Charlotte than Eastway.

Here's the link to those searches. I couldn't link directly to the ones I did, but you can check behind me here : http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/quicksearch.aspx (broken link)

I have a lot of sympathy for anyone this has happened to, but to say muggers lurk at every corner in the University area is totally irresponsible, untrue and unrealistic. The campus alerts are I think a good thing, but can heighten a sense of being under siege.

I have a feeling if you got alerts from your apartment complex every time a crime happened nearby, they would be nearly as frequent.

The area is definitely not what it once was. It's showing its age. But I think it's time for people not to abandon the area, but make it a better one. With the light rail coming through (hopefully) and the expansion of the campus, this area has a ton of potential.

Crime is on the decrease. I hope it continues that way.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at the JW Clay Wal-Mart. True, it was not the cleanest, and the crowd could be rough. Hopefully the new super wal-mart will be an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte