Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,309 times

Advertisements

I had to be in Monroe this morning and drove out 74 for the first time in a while... it's quite a wasteland. Are there any plans to either revitalize the area or at least knock down the empty buildings and plant some trees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:15 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Don't really know about Monroe revitalization, but just as much a wasteland is Independence on either side of Independence Arena. Hopefully they'll plow down the shoddy shopping centers and put up some "work, live, play" developments. It's such an eyesore!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
If I were to speculate (I know that' borderline profanity on these boards!), I'd say that area is going to be a veritable "wasteland" for many many years to come. There are plans to bring the high speed buses down Independence, but nothing that I've heard of for redevelopment. If you figure in how much time it takes to see any action after you even hear the buzz on the street about a new development (2-5 years typically), then factor in how long it takes to get someone to make buzz on teh street...that's where I get my opinion from. It's sort of a forgotten land right now.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Don't really know about Monroe revitalization, but just as much a wasteland is Independence on either side of Independence Arena. Hopefully they'll plow down the shoddy shopping centers and put up some "work, live, play" developments. It's such an eyesore!

I think those shopping centers would have been gone once they widen Independence the last time

to the OP:
You really dont know how "improved" Independence is compared to the early 90's and how much it was a money pit as well.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,478 times
There has been meeting after meeting about the Independence corridor. People living in the area are truly frustrated - ready to move, commit murder, you name it!

Wallmart was supposed to build a Super W on the south side but because of the improper disposal of dry cleaning chemicals at the site has not been able to continue with the project. The road engineers foolishly, stupidly, brainlessly designed the part of Independence east of Wendover without a service road to allow entrance to businesses in the strip shopping areas along the road. It's sometimes sheer suicide to try to enter and exit these businesses - meaning, of course, that they do not succeed and close.

At this point it will only get worse as business after business will close beyond the Sharon-Amity intersection as that area of Independence is widened.

It will probably never be attractive nor financially profitable - at least not during my lifetime.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post

It will probably never be attractive nor financially profitable - at least not during my lifetime.
Im with you there. I feel that widening that road has helped that side of town detoriate

Old 07-28-2008, 01:39 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,867 times
Problem is - no builder or developer wants to be in that area right now. Once they do, then things will change. Not going to be for a long while.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:50 PM

509 posts, read 1,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think those shopping centers would have been gone once they widen Independence the last time

to the OP:
You really dont know how "improved" Independence is compared to the early 90's and how much it was a money pit as well.
When I first moved here in 1997, there were open stores, restaurants, etc. all along Independence. They are all gone now that the road has been widened. From 1997 to now is a clear decline... Among the casualties was my favorite Thai restaurant, used to be near the Coliseum.

It's just such a bad case of urban blight. I really think the best use would be a greenway... i agree with PP that developers aren't likely to jump in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte