Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 12:06 PM

371 posts, read 1,102,376 times

Advertisements

The show itself last night was awesome (for us former band geeks), however Memorial stadium needs some serious upgrading.

Does anyone know if Parks and Rec has looked into a fundraiser to upgrade this great community resource?

My list of complaints could go on forever, and I'm not high maintenance when it comes to these kind of events.....but there was only one operational sink in the bathroom, no toilet paper (30 mins before the event), no doors on the women's bathroom stalls, overflowing trash, and the metal seats are mostly broken. That on top of no one directing traffic to parking just added to everyone's frustration.

My concern is 1. for this great venue Charlotte is letting go down the tubes and 2. for the events held there.....if people do not have a good experience, they won't come back.

I'm not one to complain and not help.....and even though I'm not technically a Charlotte resident anymore (H'ville)....I'd be happy to volunteer/donate to the cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 12:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgirl98 View Post
The show itself last night was awesome (for us former band geeks), however Memorial stadium needs some serious upgrading.

Does anyone know if Parks and Rec has looked into a fundraiser to upgrade this great community resource?

My list of complaints could go on forever, and I'm not high maintenance when it comes to these kind of events.....but there was only one operational sink in the bathroom, no toilet paper (30 mins before the event), no doors on the women's bathroom stalls, overflowing trash, and the metal seats are mostly broken. That on top of no one directing traffic to parking just added to everyone's frustration.

My concern is 1. for this great venue Charlotte is letting go down the tubes and 2. for the events held there.....if people do not have a good experience, they won't come back.

I'm not one to complain and not help.....and even though I'm not technically a Charlotte resident anymore (H'ville)....I'd be happy to volunteer/donate to the cause.

Yep, I was there too Drove 8 hours all day back from a trip to get there just in time for the show!

It was, as always, great entertainment. You don't have to have been a band geek at one time to appreciate it either! Though I am usually a Blue Devils fan, last night the Cavaliers stole the show, if you ask me. And of course, our own local corp, Carolina Crown, made a really nice effort. Just wish they'd get rid of those cream-colored uniforms - or at least add the purple back to them for some more color.

We've gone to Night Beat for over 10 years and Memorial Stadium is the same as always too. It may seem to be rough around the edges, but it really hasn't changed much in all my time going there. I will say though, the field was in GREAT shape! I wondered if that was because after the George Clooney movie was filmed there last fall the movie company had it redone? Whoever did it, it does look nice. You could call parks and rec to inquire about any plans for upgrading

Old 07-28-2008, 01:58 PM

I agree. I liked the Cavaliers show better too. I've gone the past 3 out of 4 years. My boyfriend marched for Crown in the 90s.

We're excited about next years....finals are scheduled for Atlanta :-).

Old 07-28-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgirl98 View Post
I agree. I liked the Cavaliers show better too. I've gone the past 3 out of 4 years. My boyfriend marched for Crown in the 90s.

We're excited about next years....finals are scheduled for Atlanta :-).
That is awesome!!!! I had not heard DCI would be in Atlanta - woo hoo! I once attended when it was in Birmingham and I could drive there - it was so worth the trip. How cool that your boyfriend was actually in a corp - I'm jealous

Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 PM

That's what he said last night. DCI has been known in the past to change their mind.....or have location issues (Colts stadium not finished this year). I just hope this year does not kill them too bad financially. Did you catch last night that they said they will not be on ESPN this year due to the budget?

And he's a drummer at that.....we originally met on the drumline at UNC.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:25 PM

For anyone who wants to know more about drum corps - a few links:

Carolina CrownEVENTS - NightBEAT

Drum Corps International :: Marching Music's Major Leagueâ„¢

Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 PM

Default Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That is awesome!!!! I had not heard DCI would be in Atlanta - woo hoo! I once attended when it was in Birmingham and I could drive there - it was so worth the trip. How cool that your boyfriend was actually in a corp - I'm jealous
After discussing with the db 2nite, finals are going to be in IN for like the next bazillion years.....through 2018 or something like that. Road trip?

Let's hope Crown has a great night 2nite! We weren't able to make it to the local showing, so we're tracking the rankings online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte