Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times

Advertisements

I think what some of the posters are expressing is concern that CLT is developed in a natural, progressive way and not in an artificial, wanna-be way, LOL. (Cryptic, I know).

We don't want to be another Atlanta, for example. But sometimes, it seems the people involved in economic development here are trying to put a "face" on CLT that does not exist. They are imposing a reality that is not even what the people here want.

We can talk about Jerry Reese's lawsuit over the baseball stadium . . . cause frankly, I think he is right!!!!! (Poorly spent tax dollars: see link below). We throw out a few miles of a light rail . . . wh/ cost much more than it was supposed to b/c of overruns (thank Siemens for that) . . . "your tax dollars at work" . . .

Better stop now . . . I feel a rant coming on . . .

Welcome to Rhinotimes.com Charlotte: Jerry Reese Still Swinging At Landswaps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Looks like the baseball stadium is still on target: Uptown Baseball Stadium Lawsuit Thrown Out; Obstacles Still Remain - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

I'm torn in this. I'd love to have baseball in uptown one way or another. I'd much prefer pro ball over AAA...but pro ball would take so much longer to get here (gotta attract a team, then build a stadium). With the Knights, we've already got a team, and it doesn't necessarily mean we'll never get a pro team. No one says we can't have two stadiums here.
But this has more to do w/ "highest and best use" of resources and tax dollars than anything else. At least, that is how I have understood the issue. And that is what concerns me. Who is making the decisions . . . and who is doing the planning . . . and what the "end goal" is for economic developers here as opposed to the citizens who live here. All we can do is vote, but on some projects, it is a matter of what is budgeted by City Fathers - as well as what projects get priority.

I have asked since moving back here . . . "what does Charlotte want to be when it grows up?" cause I don't have a grip on it, myself.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM

403 posts, read 930,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What I find weird is why it would even be a topic up for discussion. We have under 700,000 people in Charlotte. Our whole MSA is what - 1.2 Million or so? Maybe 1.5 M? How the heck could we be considered on the level w/ London, Paris, NYC, CHI, etc?

I don't understand why it was necessary to even talk about whether or not we are a world-class city.
Amen. Most "cities" in America are really just towns..Charlotte included. I would group tons of cities in this country in the "town" category... A world-class city is a very organic thing. It must truly stand out as something with no equal (in whatever it excels at) around the world. Whether that's for architecture, music, theatre, etc. For example--Atlanta is a nice dynamic city but it's certainly not world-class, same with Miami, Seattle, etc. NYC and Chicago (possibly San Francisco for it's unique character)are the only true urban centers in this country that would classify. It's not sheer growth that determines these things, IMO.

Charlotte is great for what it is...a truly prosperous place, with friendly people, and a nice quality of life. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM

167 posts, read 474,127 times
I love the pronoun use in this thread- people say "we" and "our" in the collective sense like they are speaking from McCrory's desk about who and what this town wants to be

me personally- I want Charlotte to be the new Dubai

Anifani I admire your dedication to this town- can you direct me to the man-made islands please?

Old 07-30-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
I love the pronoun use in this thread- people say "we" and "our" in the collective sense like they are speaking from McCrory's desk about who and what this town wants to be

me personally- I want Charlotte to be the new Dubai

Anifani I admire your dedication to this town- can you direct me to the man-made islands please?
The ones near the nuclear plant?

Credits:funkyuncensored.wordpress.com

Last edited by brokensky; 07-30-2008 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: added image

Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 PM

285 posts, read 1,072,311 times
Quote:
The ones near the nuclear plant?

Credits:funkyuncensored.wordpress.com
Anifani, that is hilarious!

Hey you know, maybe it is our style of dress and lack of culture that doesn't make us a global city?

<ducks and runs away...>

Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post

Hey you know, maybe it is our style of dress and lack of culture that doesn't make us a global city?

<ducks and runs away...>
Are you proposing we start a "culture" thread?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Are you proposing we start a "culture" thread?
Hoagie . . . I am laughing too hard now to type . . . ROFL!!! Where is Carolina Guy??? Hee Hee Hee!!!

Charlottan . . . wish I had a little devil emoticon . . . just for you!!!

Yep, it must be the culture . . .

Old 07-31-2008, 07:30 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,754 times
Quote:
Hoagie . . . I am laughing too hard now to type . . . ROFL!!! Where is Carolina Guy??? Hee Hee Hee!!!

Charlottan . . . wish I had a little devil emoticon . . . just for you!!!

Yep, it must be the culture . . .

Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post

<ducks and runs away...>
probably.

Keep in mind that Philly meets everything on the "world class" check list. Ask the New Yorkers & they will all tell you no-way is Philly world class.

I've run into occasional southerners, over the years, who have compared Philly to Charlotte, saying that it's a big version of Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte