Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times

Advertisements

The term is relative and in the eyes of the beholder. There are no rules or defined qualifications. I feel that a world class city is a city that has a significant influence on cities of the world for various reasons including, banking, fashion, tourist attractions, and cultural contributions. Charlotte has made a huge influence in the banking arena. Unfortunately, it hasn't been outstanding in any of the other areas. The same applies on a larger scale to Atlanta. On the other hand, NYC and Boston have been a couple of the rare cities that have excelled significantly in all of the areas mentioned (Boston more in insurance than banking). Cities like London, Paris, NYC, Tokyo, and others are very old cities and have established themselves as the cultural, economic centers of their countries. If my idea on world class makes sense, it will be a while before we reach that status. But, who cares? Lots of people from "world class" cities choose to live in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:09 PM

37 posts, read 262,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Lots of people from "world class" cities choose to live in Charlotte.
You're right about that. I live 15 miles from a world class city (NYC), and yet my wife and I are still considering moving to the Charlotte area. We'll be visiting once again next week.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patersonian View Post
You're right about that. I live 15 miles from a world class city (NYC), and yet my wife and I are still considering moving to the Charlotte area. We'll be visiting once again next week.
I love planning a trip to NYC or CHI or LA . . . really enjoy a big city and all it has to offer. I don't want to live in a big city, tho . . . So I totally understand what you mean.

Hope you have a good trip down . . . do let us know if there is anything we can do to help you answer questions you may have.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM

167 posts, read 474,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
probably.

Keep in mind that Philly meets everything on the "world class" check list. Ask the New Yorkers & they will all tell you no-way is Philly world class.

I've run into occasional southerners, over the years, who have compared Philly to Charlotte, saying that it's a big version of Charlotte.
less rednecks in Philadelphia metro

Old 07-31-2008, 06:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
less rednecks in Philadelphia metro
I don't know about that.......... Most of South Jersey is in the metro area. Don't forget their urban bretheren in South Philly (Don't forget that Frank Rizzo was mayor for 8 years.)

Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 PM

68 posts, read 284,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekrunk View Post
I have to agree that the Charlotte Observer (nothing more than a liberal rag) blows stuff out of proportion, but the google and yahoo headers are something else entirely.

Think about it, the leaders of this city are TRYING to make it bigger to bring in more tax necessity. Flooding this city with people is exactly how they will justify their train fiasco, and new baseball stadium, and The Greenway Easement project, and whatever else they dream up so they can artificially pump up land value, and make a pretty buck. Then their all gonna pick up and move to historical Gastonia and start screwing that place up.

If you ask me it's a black eye for the local natives.
Fiasco???

The train system that is beating even the most optimistic estimates is a fiasco? What the heck are you smoking? I sure want some of it!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:28 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times
Here is a list of REAL world class cities:

LONDON
MADRID
BANGKOK
MOSCOW

CINCINNATI

Oh, wait, that was Les Nessman's definition of the four corners of the world. The news capitals at home and abroad; the day's headlines brought into focus. The issues and events that shape our times.

Never mind.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastoniaNative View Post
Fiasco???

The train system that is beating even the most optimistic estimates is a fiasco? What the heck are you smoking? I sure want some of it!
I'm with you - calling our light rail system a fiasco is totally inaccurate - it has been a complete success! 99.9% of people realize how fortunate we are to have it and agree we need it asap going toward the north end.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:40 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
They were only expecting 9,000 people a day to ride Light Rail at 1st because of it being new and only 1 line open. They said that almost 14,000 per day have been riding...so I would say it is a success since it is so new. Looking forward to other lines opening. As a Uptown resident...I support Light Rail 100%.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 08-06-2008 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,025,322 times
Do not use the train often but I love it when I do, and it costs me less than it does to park uptown and I get home at the same time as if I drove.

Trian fiasco my backside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte