Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,466 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm new to this site and will be new to Charlotte in 2 weeks. We've found a house and my other half is in business with his family so thats taken care of. I've opted not to get into his family business b/c well, I want to do my own thing. What is the job market like in Charlotte? I'm coming from Columbus, OH and have lived here my entire life. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,685,891 times
The job market is very, very tight right now. Please make sure you will be all right for a good amount of time on your partner's salary. Not trying to discourage you, as it sounds like you're coming for sure, but it's not a great situation here right now. I doubt it's much different from anywhere else, though. I imagine it does depend somewhat on your field, but be prepared for stiff competition for jobs in general.
On the bright side, welcome! It's a nice place to live.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM

539 posts, read 1,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msphalon View Post
Hello all, I'm new to this site and will be new to Charlotte in 2 weeks. We've found a house and my other half is in business with his family so thats taken care of. I've opted not to get into his family business b/c well, I want to do my own thing. What is the job market like in Charlotte? I'm coming from Columbus, OH and have lived here my entire life. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks
Not to good right now just like everywhere else. North Carolina is listed as the 10th worst state to find work in. Not trying to discourage you, just telling you how it is. I suggest doing web searches for the line of work you are in and see what results you get.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Oh lord, I knew this wasn't a good idea..and yes, we are locked and loaded, no turning back now. I guess i might have to work with his family after all...but on the bright side, the weather there has got to be better than here in Columbus!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,343,425 times
Ok, ok....yes it's bleak but there are jobs. My DIL has had applications out all over the place and has only been called on two in four months and didn't land either of those. But there are jobs. A lot depends on what you are looking for. I don't think this area is any worse off then most others. If your other half can support you while you are looking for a job and this could take a while, then you should be ok. Start sending out applications now!! You may just want to work in the family business until you can find another job here...just a thought!
And yes, the weather here is a lot better then Columbus!!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,685,891 times
Quote:
Oh lord, I knew this wasn't a good idea..and yes, we are locked and loaded, no turning back now. I guess i might have to work with his family after all...but on the bright side, the weather there has got to be better than here in Columbus!
Bad day to ask about the weather...we got snow overnight!
Luckily, it's pretty much gone. We'll all come out of our bunkers and early spring will return by the weekend.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:13 PM

SNOW!!! He tricked me! We were there 2 weeks ago to close on the house and it was so warm (anything above 19 degrees is great) and he said "see honey, the weather is like this all the time, even in winter". Well, at least it's melting. It's very icey and snowy here and I am so ready to leave it all behind.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:12 PM

539 posts, read 1,499,960 times
Quote:
At least you have something to fall back on. Do what you have to till the right opportunity comes along. Just think positive and take your time. The market might be tough right now, but that does not mean you will not be able to find work. You also might want to start contacting some headhunters and see if they can help you.
Good luck. You will love it here. I'm so glad that I moved from NY.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,225,321 times
Quote:
SNOW!!! He tricked me! We were there 2 weeks ago to close on the house and it was so warm (anything above 19 degrees is great) and he said "see honey, the weather is like this all the time, even in winter". Well, at least it's melting. It's very icey and snowy here and I am so ready to leave it all behind.
Don't let the bit of snow we got panic you. We get 1 to 2 snows a year, a whole 1-3 inches.. and of course Charlotte panics, closes everything down, people bunker down etc. Yep it's cold, but it's sunny. Weather is 10 times better then Columbus, which for me, is a top 10 worst weather city, with the no sunny days. (something about where your located from the great lakes?) We have cold days and hot days, but neither too extreme or too long.

As far as jobs. It is tough like others have said, however, you best bets are in healthcare and education.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
Welcome!!!

Please know - we are a welcoming bunch - we are just seeing so many friends and family losing jobs - we want you to know the real truth about the job market. However, as others have said - you can always work in the family business and check things out and get a job later. Things will probably be much better in a year. By that time, the economy will be picking up - and you will have learned your way around, met people and then it will be easier to land a job!

We do have 4 seasons here. Some winters, it is more "normal" than this winter, and it never reaches 60 degrees - that is NOT typical in December or January. But it is definitely more temperate than where you are now.

So don't throw the coats away! We could have more snow or (heaven forbid) ice b/f the end of March. But it is nothing like you are dealing with.

Good luck and don't forget us. We are a good bunch here and we will be glad to help you get settled once you are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: