Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 11:47 AM

122 posts, read 488,369 times

Advertisements

Is anyone on the board familiar with "Salisbury"? Where (driving minutes/miles) is this area in relation to downtown Charlotte. Can you describe the quality of life, quality of schools, types of homes and neighborhoods, upscale/downscale etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 PM

218 posts, read 253,825 times
You really can't compare Salisbury to Charlotte. It's about 35-45 minutes NE of Charlotte.

My mom grew up there, so I know it well. The majority of the homes are somewhat older. I believe preservation is a priority. It was the location for a shoot in an upcoming movie with George Clooney. It was picked because they have mills from the late 1800s in decent condition.

It's a friendly place, that is not as nearly developed as Charlotte. I would call it almost quasi-rural. I know when I drive down some of the farm roads enroute to my grandparents' place, everyone in an oncoming car will wave.

I don't know too much about the schools.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:11 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,927 times
Elizabeth Hanford "Liddy" Dole is also from Salisbury. The flock up there are very proud of her! The first time I saw Salisbury when i was a little kid and took a trian with my mother to Baltimore. And saw all the little mill towns in NC.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:49 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Food Lion is headquartered there, and the corporate headquarters of Cheerwine is in Salisbury too.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:45 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Rowan County Business Profile

http://cmedis.commerce.state.nc.us/countyprofiles/files/pdf/Rowan_2006Q3.pdf

Old 01-25-2007, 05:11 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Food Lion is headquartered there, and the corporate headquarters of Cheerwine is in Salisbury too.
Cheerwine has even bought air time during the Super Bowl
http://www.salisburypost.com/area/294199710900458.php (broken link)

Rowan County has become attractive to major NASCAR race teams, with the Petty Team in discussions and Toyota Racing committed

http://www.salisburypost.com/area/288044909769705.php (broken link)
http://www.salisburypost.com/area/287985972867010.php (broken link)

A previous poster mentioned the town's high standards for historic preservation - the History Channel did a "Save Our History" program featuring one of Salisbury's antique houses
http://www.historicsalisbury.org/history_channel_project.htm (broken link)

Also, "Taste of America" from the Travel Channel just did a show a few weeks back where Cheerwine was featured. I think it will be repeated on February 27.

To the original OP: do a search on this forum for "Salisbury". It's not one of the most discussed towns, but it has been brought up enough that the previously posted threads should give you an idea of what the area is like. Just ignore the one poster who tried to gore crow everyone into thinking Salisbury is a major toxic waste site and anyone wanting to move there risked dying of cancer That's been debunked.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:21 PM

122 posts, read 488,369 times
Thank you all for your generous responses to my initial question on Salisbury. I'll search the internet to learn more about "cheerwine" as I have never heard of it. I'll also take the suggestion to search the forum for previous discussions on this area.

Again, many thanks.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:15 PM

218 posts, read 253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOUND123 View Post
I'll search the internet to learn more about "cheerwine" as I have never heard of it.

LOL!, wow you are missing out

It doesn't suprise me though. When I was growing up, thats one of the things I always looked forward to when visiting my grandparents. We lived in Greenville SC back then, and you could not get it there.
In Salisbury, you'll see Cheerwine logos on the dispensers and machines more than Coke or Pepsi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte