U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 AM

44 posts, read 145,289 times

Advertisements

Howdy- where's a good place in the chlt./ Gastonia area to buy tile for our kitchen back splash and behind the stove and have it installed?

Best wishes,
Robert
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:21 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,445,180 times
If you need it to be installed, I'm sure Lowes or Home Depot contract out work if you buy the tile there.
If you don't need it to be installed, you might try looking at Habitat ReStore. They have lots of building supplies for much cheaper. Their store on Wilkinson would be closest to the Gastonia side of CLT.
Good luck!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,471,272 times
I've bought tile from The Tile Shop, they have a decent selection if you're not looking for something too out of the ordinary. A good selection of natural stone and glass mosaic tiles. I have no experience with their installation, though the people in store seem very knowledgable.

Unfortunately the best place for tile was the Home Depot Design Center, but they closed. You can still find a lot of the tile on their website, however their in-store selection doesn't seem nearly as good. Also, they don't seem to carry very many profile pieces (for corners, edges, etc.) so if you need those to match a specialty store like Tile Shop is probably better.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,666,079 times
Design center wasnt all that.

Try Charlotte Tile and Laufen Tile. Two great tile shops in Charlotte. There are others too, but I haven't purchased from them so I can't recommend...

Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 AM

530 posts, read 1,116,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Design center wasnt all that.

Try Charlotte Tile and Laufen Tile. Two great tile shops in Charlotte. There are others too, but I haven't purchased from them so I can't recommend...
Laufen is not what it once was. They were bought out about a few years ago and turned into Barcelona tile, and it is a complete mess in there. Most of the good employees have gone over to Crossville Tile

Crossville Tile and Stone (http://www.crossvilletileandstone.com/contact.html - broken link)

Which in my opinion is the best tile shop in Charlotte (I'm a general Contractor)

You could also try Florida Tile which isn't far from Crossville. And Barcelona is close as well.

Roca Tile Group (http://www.rocatilegroup.com/showroom - broken link)
Florida Tile Branch Locations (http://www.floridatile.com/BranchLocations.htm - broken link)

Then if you want to get further into town, try:
Dal-Tile
Dal-Tile, Charlotte, NC : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
or
Harkey Tile
Harkey Tile & Stone: Home

Let your installer/contractor do the measurements and prepare the order, he'll be able to make sure you're ordering everything you need and correct quantities. Also see if he'll place the order for you in order to receive a contractors discount in the supply shop.

Remember to pick out your grout color when in the shop, and also order matching caulk with your grout, you can't grout the bottom joint between the tile backsplash and counter top without it eventually cracking, the matching caulk takes care of the problem.

And it's always better to hire your installer separately, all the best tile installers work for themselves, not supply shops. Some supply shops can refer good installers but a shop that will handle the install for you is typically going to use a lesser installer and mark up the price for middle man profit.

Send me a DM and I'll give you a good tile installer reference.

And keep in mind, your installation price will be affected by the material you pick out, and the pattern you choose. A tile backsplash usually ranges from $450-$850 for labor depending on size, tile, and pattern.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 AM

339 posts, read 671,958 times
I also like Crossville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>