Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:38 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Really? My wife and I both found careers here. Are we just forunate? If they have skills which are in demand, I suspect that they wont have too much trouble finding work.
you are the minority. Alot of people are having a problem finding work in Charlotte. There are a ton of threads on it. I consider yourself fortunate, yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 12:10 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Really? My wife and I both found careers here. Are we just forunate? If they have skills which are in demand, I suspect that they wont have too much trouble finding work.

I suspect you're just extreeeeeeeeeeeemly fortunate. Judging by past threads over the past year or two you're very much in the minority.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:17 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I suspect you're just extreeeeeeeeeeeemly fortunate. Judging by past threads over the past year or two you're very much in the minority.
Guess we'll both say a little prayer of thanks then! I knew jobs were getting scarce. I really had no idea they were that scarce!

Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Guess we'll both say a little prayer of thanks then! I knew jobs were getting scarce. I really had no idea they were that scarce!
Hoagie - it has a lot to do w/ what field you are in, how far up the management ladder you are, how many years of experience, pay grade, etc. There may be a job in your field, but not w/ the pay . . . or there may be jobs that are in your field, but require more experience, or particular training, etc.

B/c we have a lot of talent here . . . employers can be quite picky about every last detail . . . education, experience . . . and pay, as well.

For service type employment . . . a lot of employers are cutting back and running very lean staffing. So it comes down to - what are your skills and education, what pay range, what field and how long are you willing to hold out to get the right position.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Ani's post nailed it Hoagie. And with Wachovia letting about 6000 people go in this area, things will get even harder. Even the most experienced of people are having a hard time finding a job right now.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:44 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,144 times
Quote:
You probably have skills that are in demand. I'm confident that my wife and I could move anywhere in the country and find appropriate employment without much difficulty.

The OP's children will probably have a lot of trouble since they are looking for jobs in food service.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:34 PM

797 posts, read 3,295,539 times
To bring up their side, I don't think you can really get a job for a cook from another city/state. Those are the kind of jobs you usually apply for in person.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,441 times
My sister in law is in food services and she had to cut back her staff's hours bc of the market. This was in Houston though. But even TX supposedly was doing ok economically. But they have been affected by the increased prices in food and gas.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:50 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
We both got jobs in our respective careers as well. I think it just really depends on how in demand your jobs/careers are.

We did make sure one of us had a job before moving though.

Dawn

Quote:

Old 08-09-2008, 07:18 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Default Round and round we go..where it stops I don't know.

Remember the game "musical chairs". Round and round and when the music stops you need a chair--not just standing there all alone.

Might do one good thinking about that child's game.If you at least have a chair now in these difficult times you might want to hold on to that seat for a while as there might not be another around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: