Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 17,775 times

Advertisements

Back in 1997 when I started teaching I made $22,000 a year. Now after 10 yrs of teaching experience I make $40,000 a year. My sister n law works for the county and her salary went from $24,000 to $42,000 in 2 yrs. My husband just sold a home 2 months ago and made more on that one sale than a month of take home pay for me. The last year I have been a stay at home mother because we have 3 kids under the age of 5 so my take home pay would go directly to daycare expenses. My husband had to change jobs because I could not afford to put him on my insurance because it costed so much. I did not go into teaching for money but to live right above the poverty line with a family of 5 ? and below it if I paid for my husband's insurance. I don't believe in tenure because I know personally too many teachers that CAN'T TEACH but have tenure so they get to stay around. Even the principals do not trust them to teach certain courses to the point they have a Chemisty teacher teaching Geometry because the Math teachers can't do their jobs.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Well, besides the "severely traumatized horse" who may now be on "life support" at this point, I've learned a few things in trying to answer the OP's original question.

Starting teachers' salaries are low no matter where you go. Whether it's the ~$30K you get in Charlotte or the ~$50K you'd get in a NJ town, it's going to be much lower than a typical college grad.

The more facts you have, the better your advice will be. One of the hindrances in this, is we may not be comparing "apples to apples", but more like "apples to nectarines". It's relatively easy to find info on teacher average or median salaries by state, but I haven't found any guide that compares states by "salary + benefits". Thus, a state that may start teachers at a lower salary than NC but provides better benefits could be seen to be a less desirable place to teach, while it actually may be a "better" economic fit once the benefit costs are thrown into the equation. But without the knowledge of the cost of benefits or lack thereof, it's hard to make any meaningful A-B comparison.

I was unaware of the "NC county supplement" component of teacher salaries. I wonder if a county plays that up to prospective teachers in trying to recruit them at job fairs.

Part of the problem with new teachers and some experienced teachers that transfer into CMS, is that they are the ones that are most likely to be placed into low-performing schools. "Maintaining discipline" rather than "actual learning", becomes the main objective of a teacher in a situation like this and induces "teacher burnout" in short order. If Dr. Gorman has to offer $15,000 to so-called experienced teachers, practically at gunpoint and has few takers, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell you that a new teacher with low pay, and benefits that eat up a goodly percentage of that salary isn't going to stick around for long! I watched an HBO documentary on HBO on Demand about a Baltimore High School (Douglas) that probably mirrors what goes on in most low-performing high schools throughout the country. If you have access to HBO on Demand, this documentary is well worth investing 2 hours of your time to get a handle on what teachers face in a low-performing school - it's a real eye-opener! They'd have to pay me more than Gloria King's United Way salary to get me to teach in a place like that!

I guess I'm spoiled for teaching after having taught Chemistry at a college level at 22 and having nursing students who were old enough to be my mother (and constantly reminding me of that!). If you have good students in the right kind of teaching environment being a teacher is a very satisfying experience. But for many the joys may be few and far between!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,638 times
Tenure in North Carolina is different the Tenure in the Northern States.

One other note, if you are teacher who does not have 3 years experience under their belt the state expects you to go to work even if the roads are hazerdous. I wonder who thought up such a crafty idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte