Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Frankly Em, I hope this is one idea from the north that does not take hold down here - WE DO NOT WANT HIGHER TAXES. I understand that footing some of the insurance bill is a real shock to some folks, but we'd much rather see everyone have to do that then become a big nanny state
Well loves, I'm a federal retiree and we always had to pay aproximately 30% for our coverage. No reason why others can't. My sister works in Bergen County NJ as a school OT and makes about $30,000 more than her NC counterpart with those lovely bennies. She overheard some teachers talking and one of them had a daughter interested in moving to NC and teaching, but her mother talked her out of it, saying "they don't pay sh*t down there!" That's why NJ has those stratospheric property taxes! On the NJ forum, if you're paying less than $10,000 in property taxes you're getting a bargain! Another reason I'm glad I'm here!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 PM

247 posts, read 997,711 times
In TN our health insurance was half the cost and we didn't have a state income tax!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM

254 posts, read 329,048 times
maybe if teachers are paid a descent salary, then paying their own health insurance would not be such a burden. It is ridiculous what teachers are paid in NC. Are you guys aware of the cost of Master's degree in education, shame, shame, shame...

Old 08-13-2008, 10:54 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-rated View Post
maybe if teachers are paid a descent salary, then paying their own health insurance would not be such a burden. It is ridiculous what teachers are paid in NC. Are you guys aware of the cost of Master's degree in education, shame, shame, shame...
We are actually about middle of the road on teacher salaries - about half the states pay less than NC. A state pays what it can afford to pay and I for one am NOT in favor of higher taxes to pay anybody in any profession at this point - our taxes are high enough already.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
r-rated-I'm not adverse to giving NC teachers a raise or bettering their health benefits even at the cost of a slight tax increase. I just don't want the situation to mirror what has occurred in NJ where a teacher that has retired with 30 years ends up getting a bigger pension than an NC teacher with 30 years of teaching who is still working. Retired teachers in NJ get free health benefits for life for themselves and their spouses. I thought that it was very disingenuous for the NC legislature to tie an increase in the cigarette tax to a pay raise for teachers designed to give them a salary that at least matched the national average for salaries. They knew it would never pass. I do agree that in the current circumstances, NC teachers get the short end of the stick, but I come from a place where $100,000 teacher salaries and $140,000 police salaries are not uncommon. Neither are $10,000 property tax bills on an average home in many towns. I just couldn't afford keeping $60,000 teacher pensions and $80,000 police pensions in vogue where I used to live on my $25,000 pension. That's part of why I'm here!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM

why must you raise taxes to pay teachers a top rate salary. Maybe middle of the road is not where you should be. I wonder how much postal workers make in NC. Postal workers probably make more than teachers in NC. Does anybody know? They probably do. Of all the education required to become a teacher and all the responsabilities you have after you become a teacher, the starting salary should at least be 50 - 55 thousand a year, at the very least...

Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
why must you raise taxes to pay teachers a top rate salary. Maybe middle of the road is not where you should be. I wonder how much postal workers make in NC. Postal workers probably make more than teachers in NC. Does anybody know? They probably do. Of all the education required to become at eacher and all the responsabilies you have after you become a teacher, the starting salary should at least be 50 - 55 thousand, a year at the very least...
Since I was a postal worker, let me say that if I was still working, with 30 years experience, I'd be making just about $50,000. I also have a degree and my job at the P.O. required it. Postal workers make the same amount for a given job anywhere in the country. You'll love NJ for teacher salaries -many towns start a beginning teacher at $50,000. No matter where you live, the cost of schools runs to about 60% of an average muncipality's or in NC's case, county budget. Of that amount, about 70% of school costs is salaries and benefits. So nearly half of a county budget goes to teacher salaries. So how are you going to generate salary increases without raising taxes? If you can figure out that one, you may be eligible for the Nobel Prize!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
why must you raise taxes to pay teachers a top rate salary. Maybe middle of the road is not where you should be. I wonder how much postal workers make in NC. Postal workers probably make more than teachers in NC. Does anybody know? They probably do. Of all the education required to become a teacher and all the responsabilities you have after you become a teacher, the starting salary should at least be 50 - 55 thousand a year, at the very least...
And the world should be a fair place, but it's not.

Look, teaching is a vocation. Anyone who goes into it should do it for the love of teaching, not to make big corporate type bucks. This is not a private company - this is a state budget that has limitations. Granted, we could argue that the state should reduce funds elsewhere to be able to pay teachers more, but as in all cases where government money is at stake, everyone wants their special interest group accomadated.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM

Why can we love what we do and also get paid enough to survive. No one is talking about making "corporate type bucks" It is a vocation, but why do teachers have to struggle to be able to afford health insurance for their families. I guess thats why you have a teacher shortage in NC and also problems with keeping teachers...

Old 08-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Why can we love what we do and also get paid enough to survive. No one is talking about making "corporate type bucks" It is a vocation, but why do teachers have to struggle to be able to afford health insurance for their families. I guess thats why you have a teacher shortage in NC and also problems with keeping teachers...
Actually, we have an over-abundance of teachers, not all who want jobs teaching can get them. Not sure where you heard we are having a teacher shortage, but you have us confused with another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte