Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:36 PM

49 posts, read 179,433 times

Advertisements

Depending on the OPs lifestyle, I believe he and his wife will be happy teaching in Charlotte. Granted, I am not the highest paid BUT my husband and I budget very well. We live on my one income while he is getting his bachelors degree. We have a healthy savings account : )! We have our own home, car, an expensive 1 year old. We just don't live beyond our means. Yes I love teaching but do know eventually I will want more and working on my master degree but right now this is where we are and we are enjoying it. I love coming home and telling my husbands about the students. I love the flexibility of teaching and being able to take my daughter to the doctor without hassle or not feeling guilty about taking sick days. I absolutely love it. I have been offered a job that paid up to $15000 more a year but I wouldn't have the flexibility I have now and I rather be we the students right now than in an office with my ADHD! I just enjoy the profession for what it is.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:38 PM

I meant husband not husbands. I wish....lol

Old 08-13-2008, 06:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
Depending on the OPs lifestyle, I believe he and his wife will be happy teaching in Charlotte. Granted, I am not the highest paid BUT my husband and I budget very well. We live on my one income while he is getting his bachelors degree. We have a healthy savings account : )! We have our own home, car, an expensive 1 year old. We just don't live beyond our means. Yes I love teaching but do know eventually I will want more and working on my master degree but right now this is where we are and we are enjoying it. I love coming home and telling my husbands about the students. I love the flexibility of teaching and being able to take my daughter to the doctor without hassle or not feeling guilty about taking sick days. I absolutely love it. I have been offered a job that paid up to $15000 more a year but I wouldn't have the flexibility I have now and I rather be we the students right now than in an office with my ADHD! I just enjoy the profession for what it is.

Good for you You have a calling for this and I bet your students are extremely lucky to have you! I know you aren't getting rich, but thanks for verifying that you aren't starving either. Would you ever consider living in other states where taxes are extremely high just to get a better salary?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good for you You have a calling for this and I bet your students are extremely lucky to have you! I know you aren't getting rich, but thanks for verifying that you aren't starving either. Would you ever consider living in other states where taxes are extremely high just to get a better salary?
Actually my husband and I were discussing this when we saw this post. The cost of living in some of these places are higher than Charlotte. We were going to move to Sarasota FL and the salaries were higher but the cost of living definitely was just as high and it would have been not been affordable for us to move there. I've never considered teaching and living in another state just because of their higher salary. Its the same as some teachers in this area refusing to teach for CMS and prefer surrounding counties based on quality of a smaller district and not salary.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,247 times
Not sure if this helps, but these are some threads that came up talking about moving to CLT and working for CMS - I just skimmed them quick, but it also brings to light some of the things you may want to consider if you start dealing with CMS

This all comes with the caveat that I have no experience with Charlotte schools what so ever and don't know a single teacher in Charlotte, have any children, or have even been in Charlotte on a school day...(in ATL now)

Teaching for CMS
Which Teacher gets more Catholic School teachers or Public School Teachers
NC TEACHERS or SCHOOL COUNSELORS

Old 08-14-2008, 05:21 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,247 times
I think some recommended looking into Georgia to possibly find higher salaries with maybe a similiar life style. Just wanted to note, this morning while listening to the radio, they were talking about how the state has a 1.6 Billion dollar shortfall for the budget. I looked online to verify, and found this...

GPB News: Perdue: budget cut immediate; no tax cuts

Also they said that a lot of the school districts aren't hiring anyone cuz honestly there just isn't any money.

And it may make others happy to see that despite this, the teachers are gonna still get a pay raise this year...so a little something for everyone. My take away from the article is that if you are already teaching in Georgia stay, but it maybe difficult to move in as a new teacher with the budget constraints.

Then I found out that Julia Child was like the next Austin Powers and I had to decide if this was all just a dream...

Old 08-14-2008, 07:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
From what I have seen online for FL salaries, they are only higher at the beginning levels....they try to get people in and then dont' take care of them once they have been working for 15 years.

I just looked at the teacher salary for Sarasota and after 16 years with 2 MAs I would make about the same there as I would in NC.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
Actually my husband and I were discussing this when we saw this post. The cost of living in some of these places are higher than Charlotte. We were going to move to Sarasota FL and the salaries were higher but the cost of living definitely was just as high and it would have been not been affordable for us to move there. I've never considered teaching and living in another state just because of their higher salary. Its the same as some teachers in this area refusing to teach for CMS and prefer surrounding counties based on quality of a smaller district and not salary.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:14 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times
I have to say that it was mentioned that dental is included and vision is not. That is the opposite (in my county at least). I have a minimal vision plan covered for me but dental is extra. And, it is such a poor plan that covers so little, it is not worth even getting.

I believe teachers are underpaid in pretty much all of the states, not just here in NC. Teachers have one of the lowest starting salaries for people with a bachelor's degree. Yes, the majority of grads are in the private sector and not relying on tax dollars for their income. However, I think people need to open their eyes and look at the fact that teachers are building the future. While sick, you want the best doctor money can buy, correct? Why do people not want the best teachers money can buy? Think about how many people work in other sectors that would have been amazing teachers but went another route because they could not make it as a teacher financially?
Luckily, NC is not hampered by paying high salaries to ineffective teachers protected by a teacher's union. But, NC is affected by a high turnover. Many teachers come here because they could not find a job in their area (again- union partially at fault for that). Then, 2-3 years later, they return to their home state with the experience to get them a job.
Property taxes do not have to be raised to give teachers a raise. They proposed the "sin tax" to give teachers a raise. That is a great way to generate funds, IMO. NC does not tax nearly what other states do- and it is a totally voluntary tax. Don't want to pay? Don't smoke. Health care costs go down and people are healthier. A win/win there.
I will stop as if I continue, I will end up discussing the problems with the US as a whole economically and that is WAY off topic

Old 08-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Property taxes do not have to be raised to give teachers a raise. They proposed the "sin tax" to give teachers a raise. That is a great way to generate funds, IMO. NC does not tax nearly what other states do- and it is a totally voluntary tax. Don't want to pay? Don't smoke. Health care costs go down and people are healthier. A win/win there.
It's not a win/win. A tax is a tax is a tax and someone's getting penalized. I don't smoke and I sure don't agree with a sin tax.

My question is why does anything need to be raised? No matter how "affordable" NC may be, I'm sure there can be something unnecessary cut along the way that could cover something of a pay raise.

The first idea should be "what don't we need" as opposed to "what can we tax".

Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Dawn you're right. I went to look at the Sarasota FL salaries again and they do start off higher but thats about it. The end results are horrible though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte