Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:27 PM

16 posts, read 34,409 times

Advertisements

I'm a conservative Christian guy considering moving to Charlotte in the near future. Coming from Seattle I'm looking for more sun, more conservatives, lower cost of living, friendlier folks, Christian women, etc. I'm originally from Idaho, so Seattle has been quite a shock for me.

Could someone please provide their input as to whether this could be a good move as it relates to the above criteria? And what are the prospects for single, Christian women 25-35?

I'm also considering Denver, Nashville, and Dallas, so if you have any comments about those areas, please feel free to share!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsmyth View Post
I'm a conservative Christian guy considering moving to Charlotte in the near future. Coming from Seattle I'm looking for more sun, more conservatives, lower cost of living, friendlier folks, Christian women, etc. I'm originally from Idaho, so Seattle has been quite a shock for me.

Could someone please provide their input as to whether this could be a good move as it relates to the above criteria? And what are the prospects for single, Christian women 25-35?

I'm also considering Denver, Nashville, and Dallas, so if you have any comments about those areas, please feel free to share!

Thanks in advance!

"I'm looking for more sun, more conservatives, lower cost of living, friendlier folks, Christian women, etc" - you'll definitely find more of this in Charlotte than Seattle - so I do think you'd be making a good move.

One of Charlotte's older nicknames is the "city of churches" - there really is one on almost every major street in the city. If you are looking to get involved in a Christian community here I have no doubt you'll find more than one great one to choose from. In particular, I have a lot of respect for Forest Hill - a very dynamic church here in Charlotte. But there really are so many - the Church here is very involved and active in many different ministries and aspects of life in Charlotte. Welcome to NC!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:29 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Clint, one of the churches here in Charlotte that is kind of a niche for young professionals is http://www.mosaicchurch.tv If that is a bit radical for you , we have a HUGE assortment of churches in practically every genre. Welcome to the east coast!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Was Mosaic the one that ook out the billboards on 85?? Those alone would bring folks in!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
I have a suggestion and wonder if lovesmountains won't agree with me. I would suggest you looking into greenville, SC. I find it to be conservative, yet diverse. I have visited, and I loved it. I know it isn't charlotte, but it's just a thought. I think it's pretty close to charlotte, as in under 2 hours.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
links to conservative churches in Charlotte

Calvary Baptist Church, Charlotte
Derita Baptist Church, Charlotte (in sketchy area)
Eastway Baptist Church, Charlotte (in sketchy area)
Hickory Grove Baptist Church, Charlotte
Living Faith Baptist Church, Charlotte

church of christ, charlotte - Google Search

church of god, charlotte - Google Search

Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Having just moved from Seattle, I can understand why the shock, and I think you'll like Charlotte much better

I used to live in Denver...don't know anything about the other two, but Denver is much closer to Seattle than Charlotte is.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:55 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Sounds to me like this is the place for you. I'm not a conservative Christian guy, and it seems to me there is certainly no shortage of Christ nor conservation (uh... conservatism?) here. Oodles of sun (a little too much imo - can't a guy get some rain once in a while?) and practically an overload of friendliness. Don't know much about the comparitive cost of living. Not sure about the womens either. The ones I've come across are decidedly un-Christian, but in all the right ways. 'course, that might just be the kinda people I seek out. To each his own.

I say come on over. You'll find lots of like-minded folks - and plenty of not-so-like-minded who enjoy having people around who do and see things differently.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:24 PM

16 posts, read 34,409 times
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I actually have been looking at Greenville, SC, too (JMarquis), but noticed that's a very small community. Anyone else care to chime in with their thoughts about Greenville?

Thanks for all the church recommendations! Any specific evangelical non-charsimatic churches with a larger young professionals or post-college age gathering?

I work in Finance (Treasury, specifically), so if anyone hears of a Senior Analyst or Treasury Manager position, I would be grateful if you could pass along privately. I have been in touch with recruiters in the area, but nothing solid yet.

Thanks again!

Clint

Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
This whole area is basically conservative. I am a woman and have met some very lovely older women and young women from a nearby church. They are so sweet. It seems everyone here is welcoming--very friendly. Moving from CA this was like moving to another world for us. It has been a a good move and wouldn't ever look back. As far as the price of living here---it's so much better then most other places and it's beautiful too. My personal feelings are you'd be very satisfied here. Come and visit first and check the area out! If you do decide on moving here keep us up to date here on CD and welcome to NC!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte