Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:53 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Bloom is Food Lion in disguise
True Bloom is owned by Food Lion, but not anything like it. Very clean, great aisle layout, better selection than Food lion would offer. Better quality too. Definitely not a Food Lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,897 times
Default charlotte groceries

I would agree that, given the stores you visited, HT would be the best option. HT's are all over town so it is likely that one will be just around the corner from wherever you may settle. It has been my experience that HT will often carry specially requested items if you ask. A lot of that depends on the individual store location. The Plaza Midwood HT, for example, is a small store and shelving space is limited, so variety, too, is limited by default.

Bloom may be owned by Food Lion (and I don't like FL at all) but the location nearest me (I have only been to one) has a good variety in the produce dept and the seafood is fresher that HT's.

Lowes Foods, Earthfare, Fresh Market, Home Economist, Talley's Green Grocery, and other various stores can be found in Charlotte but they are not on every corner so you may have to make a drive...

There are smaller specialty stores where you can sometimes find specific hard-to-find items. We have Asian markets, Middle Eastern markets, fresh pasta makers, etc.

But, one of the nicest things is the climate here. The mild climate makes for a long gardening season. I made fresh tomato sauces all summer from the tomatoes I grew right off my back porch. Mmm...with fresh herbs and accompanied by a salad straight out of the garden... There is nothing better! (And forget the whole spinach scare last year... I just picked my own from my little garden.)

If you are not interested in gardening, and your neighbors aren't trying to pawn their excess produce off on you, there are always the farmers markets. If you frequent them and get to know the vendors, sometimes they will grow things specifically for you if they know you will buy them. (I know that my dad, who worked the farmer's market for a couple years, grew a specific variety of heirloom tomatoes for a local chef.)

Charlotte is a growing city and supplies are changing as demands change so it is getting easier to find things all the time. We are also still a small southern town, though, and if you want something that is hard to come by, strangers will often go out of the way for you if you smile and ask politely.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:54 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
I second (and third) the remark about Wegmans. Incredible store! Pricey, though, but you definitely get what you pay for...

Old 02-04-2007, 12:11 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Bloom is Food Lion in disguise
Yes it is!! But I think it has better quality produce & meats than Food Lion. It's also a "fun place" to shop with a whinning teenager!! LOL!! I also heard a rumor that a bunch of Food Lions are being converted to Bloom stores in the Charlotte area, just don't know which ones.

Lowe's Foods has a pretty good selection. BJ's is good for meats. Beef is so expensive no matter where you go. Wish there was more turkey choices, like just a Shady Brook Farms turkey breast. At least more stores are now offering chicken cutlets in larger packaging.

I buy all my natural products, like grapeseed oil, spice blends & mixes. from Wildtree.

BxRosie

Old 02-04-2007, 12:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Yes it is!! But I think it has better quality produce & meats than Food Lion. It's also a "fun place" to shop with a whinning teenager!! LOL!! I also heard a rumor that a bunch of Food Lions are being converted to Bloom stores in the Charlotte area, just don't know which ones.

Lowe's Foods has a pretty good selection. BJ's is good for meats. Beef is so expensive no matter where you go. Wish there was more turkey choices, like just a Shady Brook Farms turkey breast. At least more stores are now offering chicken cutlets in larger packaging.

I buy all my natural products, like grapeseed oil, spice blends & mixes. from Wildtree.

BxRosie
Hi, Rosie! I haven't gone to the Bloom on HWY150 yet - we'll see.... There's an Earthfare in Asheville that my daughter takes me to for breakfast!!
That's a racket for sure. I discovered Wegman's in PA; mother shops there alot. Closest thing to it is a HT or Fresh Market, which I haven't seen in eons. Used to go to the FM in Winston, in the shopping center wherer Sam's Gourmet was (if you can remember Sam's Gourmet in Winston, you are truly a old timer relo) - I can't remember!!!ARGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:37 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,970 times
My older sister waited tables at Sam's Gourmet when she was in high school. I wouldn't have remembered it without reading your post...wow, I do have some memory cells left...

You'll love WholeFoods...it's the best in Atlanta. I always liked Harris Teeter also, but they all closed here and I'm not sure why.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:50 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
Shop the circular and stick to seasonal fruits and veggies, no matter how you slice it produce trucked in from 3000 miles away is not going to be great no matter what.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:15 PM

179 posts, read 582,627 times
Default Is it really that bad ??

This thread is really depressing. Is it this bad throughout Cabarrus and Union Counties ? I never even gave this any thought in planning to retire there, and this is definately a negative issue from what I read here. Surely there must be some quaility grocery chain stores down there, or is that wrong ?

Thanks, Bill

Old 02-05-2007, 07:54 PM

8 posts, read 17,755 times
Sorry, I haven't checked in sooner. I start a thread then disappear for a few days. Oops!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm feeling much better about the choices and selection available. I will definitely add all of this info to my notes. Much appreciated.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:37 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
This thread is really depressing. Is it this bad throughout Cabarrus and Union Counties ? I never even gave this any thought in planning to retire there, and this is definately a negative issue from what I read here. Surely there must be some quaility grocery chain stores down there, or is that wrong ?

Thanks, Bill
Now Bill, don't you worry yourself!!! HT is ok, Home Economist, Earthfare, Fresh Market - you'll be fine, and when the Farmer's Markets open up, you'll do what the rest of us do - pig out on fresh produce and haggle. You be sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte