U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 17,009 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Just doing a little research before my big move.

When I was down in the area last year, I checked out some of the grocery stores. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed. With seperate trips to Food Lion, Bi-Lo and Harris Teeter I thought one of those would have what I wanted: selection. For some reason it seems like selection is really lacking. Out of those 3 HT was the best, but even that was disappointing.

I love to cook. For me, part of the fun in cooking comes from making things from scratch. For example, I can't eat spaghetti sauce out of a jar. Just can't do it. I enjoy the process of having it all come together. So naturally I'm always looking for fresh ingredients. The selection of fresh produce in all 3 stores left a lot to be desired. Some stores not only didn't have a good selection, but they didn't even have what I was looking for.

If those were my only choices I'd be shopping at HT for sure. But is there something better? Are there other grocery stores that have an excellent produce section? When asking around the last time I was there, someone mentioned a Lowe's Foods? Recommended it BECAUSE it had a better produce section? Anyone shop there? Locations?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 PM

743 posts, read 2,145,929 times
I shop at Lowe's foods everyweek. This past week I thought I would try Food Lion and hated it. Prices were a lot higher and no selection whatsoever. Lowe's always has what I am looking for and a variety to choose from. Plus their produce section is large. I shop at the Matthews location on Idlewild Rd. Another factor, they always have great sales

Old 02-03-2007, 06:28 AM

4,136 posts, read 10,986,344 times
I have had a bit of a tough time too, but for different reasons. I have been looking for some health food foods that I can't find (like fresh wheat grass for juicing).

I know Charlotte will be getting a Whole Foods (there are 2 other similar places, Earth Faire and another one that slips my mind at the moment) and we will be getting a Trader Joe's, which I am hoping will help some.

But what I have noticed is that even stores with the same name can carry different products based on location.

Summer is the best time here because there are so many local produce stands, but since this is a climate with seasons, the winter would be the worst time to look for fresh produce.

I know that isn't much of a help, but I think you CAN find things, it just takes a little more digging.

Dawn

Old 02-03-2007, 07:04 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,942,534 times
Default Grocery Stores in Charlotte

Lowe's Foods are located in South Charlotte at Ballantyne (521 South of Ballantyne CC) and Providence Commons (Providence Rd and Ballantyne Commons Pkwy). There's also two Fresh Markets, one on Pineville-Matthews Road and one Providence Rd closer to uptown. And a few specialty stores like Fine Fare (I think is the name) located at Torringdon Court (Johnston Rd just south of 485).

Old 02-03-2007, 07:42 AM

872 posts, read 3,461,834 times
If there is a Bloom near you, check them out.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:11 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,531,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Lowe's Foods are located in South Charlotte at Ballantyne (521 South of Ballantyne CC) and Providence Commons (Providence Rd and Ballantyne Commons Pkwy). There's also two Fresh Markets, one on Pineville-Matthews Road and one Providence Rd closer to uptown. And a few specialty stores like Fine Fare (I think is the name) located at Torringdon Court (Johnston Rd just south of 485).
Earthfare is the name.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:38 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,504,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
If there is a Bloom near you, check them out.

Bloom is Food Lion in disguise

Old 02-03-2007, 12:25 PM

254 posts, read 1,013,229 times
I agree..the grocery stores here are terrible (and VERY expensive) I miss Wegmans..the best grocery store in the country

For the person looking for wheat grass..the home economist will order it for you

Old 02-03-2007, 01:27 PM

7,937 posts, read 19,364,041 times
I love wegmans..........

Old 02-03-2007, 01:36 PM

4,136 posts, read 10,986,344 times
Thank you. Earth Fare said they were ordering it for me and never got it in and then seemed to not remember our previous conversation!

The Home Economist is farther away, but it I can get it there, I will.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
I agree..the grocery stores here are terrible (and VERY expensive) I miss Wegmans..the best grocery store in the country

For the person looking for wheat grass..the home economist will order it for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte