Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 12,606 times

Advertisements

Hi All, my family and I are looking to relocate to Union County NC this summer. My husband is a Union Electrician in NY, unfotunatley the last 2 years there has been a high unemployment rate. We have been told the Union in NC for electricians does not pay that well and non-union may be a better alternative. Does anyone have any information on this? My husband has his NY Master Electrician Lic. and will probably go for his NC lic. if this will earn him more $. Does anyone klnow the pay scale for an electrician there? Any information we would appreciate!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 10:59 AM

414 posts, read 1,377,747 times
Its probably going to be less pay than NY. There is a lot of people who are willing to have a job and they don't mind the lower pay. Some else can probably chime here.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:50 AM

889 posts, read 3,111,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ View Post
Its probably going to be less pay than NY. There is a lot of people who are willing to have a job and they don't mind the lower pay. Some else can probably chime here.
Although i do not know about Electricians, my husband was union carpenter in Calif. There is no union around here in this area we are at and pay is a good $10.00 less per hour (:

Old 02-03-2007, 12:09 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,320,412 times
You should contact an electrical union out there, my brother in law is in the sheet metal workers union, but he is a sign hanger and she contacted the union there and well they wanted to pay him 19.00 dollars an hour and the annuity and the total compensation was about 22.00 an hour well it was very different..so basically they couldnt afford to even live down there on that salary....considering he makes a very decent living In NY.....I really dont think your hubby is going to make alot of money in NC...

Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 PM

476 posts, read 1,572,158 times
My BIL transferred with a company from RI to NC and had to take a pay cut because of the different pay scale even though it was the same company. I don't know anything specific but it was definitely a cut.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 42,547 times
Default electrician jobs in NC

I was just wondering if you finally moved. We are in the same dilemma. My hubby local 3 electrician but gets laid off a lot. We want to look for a job there, but scared of the prospects. I have narrowed down to where we want to live, but his job is most important. Any info you can help with?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 AM

90 posts, read 239,642 times
When i was visiting i met dome guys who run a company that provides electrical work for construction jobs . almost like a union. i dont know the name of the company but you may be able to find thm online.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 20,666 times
There are a lot of electrician jobs because of the high number of houses going up in the charlotte area. I have been bugging a buddy of mine from NY to come down because of this as he cant really make a living in NY.

You will make less money than you are used to but consider that you will also be in a lower tax bracket and pay less for everything except food and gas. Example I am originally from NJ. My Car insurance is half the cost, My health Insurance is about half, and property taxes are about a quarter to a third of what I used to pay and I am considered to be in a Pricey area for Charlotte.

Some other things to ponder. None of my neighbors are local they are all from NY, NJ, PA, and OH. When you meet a local they are the nicest people as well as all the transplants. If you accidentally cut someone off on the road they dont follow you home or try to run you off the road. Air is breathable and the water drinkable. You wont shovel snow so sell your snow blower or shovel. We do get ICE but its gone pretty quickly. If you look into the demographic of hot/cold days there will be basically 10 days more in the summer where its too hot to go outside however you will gain significantly more days in the winter you will be able to go outside.

Now you can be an Electrician in NY or you can be an Electrician in NC. Same job NC has a better climate.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:52 PM

9 posts, read 42,547 times
Thanks for the info. But do you know anything about their pay scale for electricians. I've seen 12-`15 hr but that seems so low.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:57 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,384,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofNY View Post
Thanks for the info. But do you know anything about their pay scale for electricians. I've seen 12-`15 hr but that seems so low.
That's probbaly about right, and this is an "at will" or "right to work" state, so not many unions. However, my coworker's hubby is a member of IBEW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte