U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,242,989 times

Advertisements

Help! My son and his wife and 20 month daughter are evacuating the NC coast and they are coming here for 4 or 5 days. I have absolutely NO idea what fun things we could do to entertain the baby. It has been SO long since I have had a little one around, can any of you suggest what fun things we could do?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,458,372 times
If it isn't raining, then a park would be fun. I don't know where you are located, but Davie Park is on 51 and is fenced. When we go visit my kids' (2 & 4) grandparents, we always go to their local elementary school's playground on the weekends.
If it is raining, you could try Charlotte at Play on 51 closer to Pineville. There are lots of things to do for all ages there, even little ones.
We also enjoy going to SouthPark mall and walking to the fountain. The escalators can also be a half hour of fun!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:57 AM

513 posts, read 2,022,075 times
You could also go to Discovery Place Uptown. Though much of it is for older kids, there is a room near the entrance (called the Kids Place room) that is great for toddlers. It has water play, a tree house, various other things to keep them busy. There is also a small aquarium there with a touch pool. I agree with Charlotte at Play. It's a great place for the 2-5 year olds.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,211,098 times
If you are planning on coming to South Park on Saturday, Animal Care and Control is having a dog and cat adoption day in the mall in the Neimann Marcus wing. Just wanted to let you know in case the little ones are afraid of animals, and/or you're afraid of adopting an animal on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
We also enjoy going to SouthPark mall and walking to the fountain. The escalators can also be a half hour of fun!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 PM

777 posts, read 2,434,438 times
From a dad to a two year old:

Charlotte at Play
Lazy 5 Ranch
Discovery Place
Imagion
Airport Overlook
Latta Plantation
Columbia Zoo
Carowinds
Charlotte Nature Muesum @ Freedom Park

The Lazy 5 Ranch is my number one suggestion as there are very few places like it!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM

I cant thank you enough for the outstanding suggestions!!! Not only do I get to see my grandbaby, I get to see my son and his wife too! Who said Hurricaine's cant be a blessing in disguise? Last time I saw our little Ava was in June....she has changed since then!

Thanks again for your help, I knew I could rely on my Citi friends to help!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 01:18 PM

35,881 posts, read 72,714,467 times
There is nothing I can add - you have gotten all the suggestions I would have mentioned!

But as far as games, toys, etc to have in the house . . . play dough still works, LOL. And big puzzles w/ just a few pieces . . . and helping grandma make cookies. :-)

If you don't have a toy tea set - that might be a lot of fun, too.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:46 AM

Just an update...thanks again to all who posted. We had such a wonderful day yesterday. We went to the park, to South Park mall (for mommy ) and then to Charlotte at Play. I would have never known about that place without your imput.

They are going home today, but we had the most fantastic visit..thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:31 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,458,372 times
Glad it worked out well and that you had a good time!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:29 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,211,098 times
Did you stop by the Animal Care and Control Adoption Day? If so, maybe we spoke without knowing it. I was the tall brunette holding a sleeping puppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Just an update...thanks again to all who posted. We had such a wonderful day yesterday. We went to the park, to South Park mall (for mommy ) and then to Charlotte at Play. I would have never known about that place without your imput.

They are going home today, but we had the most fantastic visit..thanks for the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte