Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,923,866 times

Advertisements

I think that the biggest problem in Charlotte (and one that has recently started to become public knowledge) is the lack of consequence when a crime is committed. The suspect is picked up, may even admit to the crime, and the DA's office slaps them on the hand and there you go...back on the streets to do it again. I personally have a house 1/2 block from my house that has been a central HQ for crime since I have lived here (8 yrs). The cops know it, they arrest the people and a few days later they are out of jail. The suspects now have established a huge network city-wide. Crime is their job. They make a lot of money at it and even if they have to pay $5k in fines, it is a drop in the bucket to them. Since the family owns the house, there is nothing we in the neighbourhood can do. Meanwhile, our homes are broken into, our cars trashed and we are just sitting ducks. Oh, and just for the record...the owners of the house (anyway) are Charlotte natives as far as I can tell.

I grew up in a really rough area of Chicago. We had multiple locks on our doors. I was mugged countless times. But, once I got inside my house, I was safe.
Not so much here. Here, I have two dogs and a bird (who also makes a lot of noise) and security windows. I don't go outside after dark unless I am in my locked car. I am diligent to call the police when I see someone walking in the neighbourhood. I refuse to have a gun because being the city person that I am, I have seen people shot with their own guns by savvy criminals. But, living here requires the same sense of constant awareness that you have to have in the middle of the (big) city.

When I first moved here, I had that sense of security that many other northerners have as it all appears so nice & quiet & pretty. It took a few years for me to actually see the reality of the crime in Charlotte. So, Johne, I understand. But, it really is bad simply because there is no recourse and the criminals are pretty much free to do what they want. THAT is the problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 06:45 AM

755 posts, read 2,479,703 times
I was a crime victim more in Charlotte than ever in my life, and so was my husband. I'd lived in DC and he lived in Chicago and we both experienced more crime in Charlotte. We were victims of car theft, arson, home break-in, and theft. No violent crime, though.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 AM

35,879 posts, read 76,989,702 times
I am very aware of the possibility of crime here, and that it seeps out into the "best" areas. However, I am always careful wherever I am, as the way I deal w/ my environment never changes - whether in a restaurant in DC or walking in downtown CHI at night.

I have just accepted that I can be a victim of crime at SouthPark in the parking deck just as I could be a victim of crime in ATL in a parking deck.

I think CHICubs got it right . . . the crime here is in proportion to the thugs who know they may get picked up and charged w/ a crime they committed . . . but they will soon be back out on the streets - so criminal activity becomes a way of life, as there is little deterrent. Our jails are revolving doors and I really do not understand it. I wish someone could explain it to me. I know . . . I have heard the discussions (from my own family members - one was an ADA for a number of years b/f opening his own law practice). Yes, the DA's office is overworked and understaffed . . .but there is something more.

I think there is something insidious going on in some of our communities . . . it seems we are breeding very young, brash, arrogant thugs these days. Why? I don't know. They appear to be home grown. So what is going on in the communities where they have been raised? These "kids" are the ones who perpetuated a wave of crime here recently - home invasions, shootings, carjackings/theft, and robberies in broad daylight - w/ people standing there, frantically dialing 911.

I have been watching carefully, as things have quietened down somewhat in S. CLT, anyway, since the last round of thugs were caught and sent to jail. But these guys were almost all under 21 . . . and they have long "careers" ahead . . . so what happens when they get out?

All I know is to be watchful and sensible. I also hope our new Police Chief will be able to affect the situation . . . and I want to elect Judges who are not into the Hug-A-Thug mentality that has been in place too long here in Meck.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,174,002 times
Oh well...I'm orginally from Los Angeles so I can't even start to relate to the fear here! For the natives I can clearly see where the changes are difficult and you can see crime growing but for myself--hey, I have never felt safer then I feel here! Course I live in a rural area around the Charlotte and don't really venture into the city much so I can't give a true perspective of the crime in Charlotte but in my area I feel completely safe and sound! I know what living around crime is like--I lived in a concrete jungle for the last 30 plus years. I sure hope the people and the government in NC take care not to let this lovely state get anything like CA. From what I hear and see the people here really care about what's going on and seem to be trying to get things under better control. They are willing to fight for their beliefs. CA seemed to just give up!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,014,883 times
Default charlotte

Well I have posted a lot about this in the past. I have comr to realize that Charlotte itself is considered more unsafe in comparision to other cities but for me what I am scared about is the suburbs. i came from a small suburb outside of Philly and never had the problems we have here. We had peoplr move back up north due to the home invasion problems last winter not that they can't happen anywhere but they are definitely more likely to occur here since the DA's don't seem to do their job. Basically when a crime is committed they let the guy off the hook right away! It is problem throughout the state but something needs to be changed so I hope that answers your questions! My husband and I are definitely more cautious here then we ever were in Philly and NYC. If you pull up Weddington its crime rates are very high!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:17 AM

285 posts, read 1,015,080 times
Here is a briefing from Neighbors for a Safer Charlotte with excellent city comparisons and conclusions about what the problem really is. Gangs and lack of police/DA/jail resources are the primary conclusion.

http://www.neighborsforasafercharlot...y_Crime_08.ppt

Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 76,989,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillBound View Post
Here is a briefing from Neighbors for a Safer Charlotte with excellent city comparisons and conclusions about what the problem really is. Gangs and lack of police/DA/jail resources are the primary conclusion.

http://www.neighborsforasafercharlot...y_Crime_08.ppt
Very informative post - thank you for sharing the info!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,829,683 times
There is plenty of crime any place where you have a diverse community as Charlotte. Like any of these places, most crime takes place in bad areas that are easily identified in most cases. Stay out of bad areas and avoid questionable situations, and you will be O.K. Common sense is the key any place. Geeze, sometimes you would think that nobody has ever set foot outside of their house. If you want to live in a crime free environment, I know a place in Vermont, population 27. How can one think that a city with a area population of 2.4 million would not have much crime? Again, geeez! Have a nice day (smiley faces). Problem, too many bleeding heart liberals in Charlotte that want to give thugs dozens of chances to find their worth. You know, you can't blame the criminal, he wasn't given enough hugs.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:05 PM

56 posts, read 156,515 times
Can someone explain to me the purpose of the revolving door policy?? why let a known, proven criminal right back on the street? how does that profit society?

Old 09-11-2008, 01:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,829,683 times
It is my understanding that prisons are racially disproportionate. It is sometimes neccessary to curtail locking up certain individuals until Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and other highly respected leaders are satisfied that equal incarceration has achieved. People just have to be patient and hope that crime patterns change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte