Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:23 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,554,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I've been here 12 years & I remember when the big story on the evening news was the fire department rescuing cats from trees. Little by little the stories grew more negative till they were reporting finding bodies in Lake Wylie & carjackings around town. So crime .
Now wait a minute, I grew up here born in 1974 and I am sure there was some point in the 70s or 80s where Charlotte was the murder capital (or in the top ten) in the country. Off to look up some numbers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,409,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Well I have posted a lot about this in the past. If you pull up Weddington its crime rates are very high!
Do you have a pointer to these high crime statistics? I'd be interested in seeing how Weddington compares to what is below.

Here are 2007 some crime stats for Union County

Homicides: 3
Rapes: 12
Robberies: 29
Aggravated assaults: 79
Burglaries: 781
Larcenies: 1,299
Motor vehicle thefts: 104

Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,758,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Do you have a pointer to these high crime statistics? I'd be interested in seeing how Weddington compares to what is below.

Here are 2007 some crime stats for Union County

Homicides: 3
Rapes: 12
Robberies: 29
Aggravated assaults: 79
Burglaries: 781
Larcenies: 1,299
Motor vehicle thefts: 104
Where do you find these stats? I would like to look at Lincoln County.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,206,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Where do you find these stats? I would like to look at Lincoln County.
City-Data gives you that here:

//www.city-data.com/city/Lincol...-Carolina.html (just scroll down)

Old 09-21-2008, 11:40 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,829,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Now wait a minute, I grew up here born in 1974 and I am sure there was some point in the 70s or 80s where Charlotte was the murder capital (or in the top ten) in the country. Off to look up some numbers...
You are right. In 1969 (and 1970 if I remember correctly), Charlotte had more murders per capita than any other city. At that time, you could not walk up Church St., Cedar St., Pine St., Graham St., or other surrounding areas if you did not fit the demographics. I also remember when uptown Charlotte was off limits for many federal government workers because of the crime eliment. It was a pretty horrible place for crime until 4th ward started bringing it back to the way it was before it became a slum. If one did not spend time in Charlotte before 1970, you don't have a clue what it was like. I would compare downtown Charlotte with much of the not-so-good parts of D.C. I remember when a friend's car broke down on 4th St. when it was really bad. As he was reaching into the engine to fix a leak, a person came up behind him and slit his back open with a can opener just because he was in the wrong area. So, Charlotte has not always been the angel that it is today.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:40 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,758,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
City-Data gives you that here:

//www.city-data.com/city/Lincol...-Carolina.html (just scroll down)
Thanks Loves

Old 09-21-2008, 07:40 PM

104 posts, read 175,902 times
I will soon be a resident of Charlotte and the home invasion mentions are what upset me the most. I'm from Michigan and we have 1) shall-issue concealed pistol laws and 2) no duty to retreat in the home. I just did about 30 minutes worth of research on NC firearms laws and found that NC is a shall-issue state and more importantly:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-51.1.html

Burglary is a felony, as is (obviously) violent crimes against a home's owner.

Burglaries when you're not home, car theft, etc, I can see. There isn't much you can do there except rely upon law enforcement to follow up and cross your fingers something actually happens. But home invasion? I don't mean to sound crass, but why isn't this a self-correcting problem?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 76,989,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
I will soon be a resident of Charlotte and the home invasion mentions are what upset me the most. I'm from Michigan and we have 1) shall-issue concealed pistol laws and 2) no duty to retreat in the home. I just did about 30 minutes worth of research on NC firearms laws and found that NC is a shall-issue state and more importantly:

GS_14-51.1

Burglary is a felony, as is (obviously) violent crimes against a home's owner.

Burglaries when you're not home, car theft, etc, I can see. There isn't much you can do there except rely upon law enforcement to follow up and cross your fingers something actually happens. But home invasion? I don't mean to sound crass, but why isn't this a self-correcting problem?
You mean - why aren't thugs shot and killed when they do a home invasion?

A history lesson. Let's start back w/ earlier comments about CLT being at one time a rather murderous place. This was basically black on black crime. Today, the murders are still black on black and gang related. Very few homicides here are random. So let's get that out of the way first when discussing crime here. However, I will add this caveat: we have had some thugs using weapons and homeowners (including an elderly lady) have been killed in their own homes. The young thugs seem to be wielding weapons these days whereas in the past (meaning - 10 plus years ago) career burglars did NOT typically employ weapons b/c of sentencing guidelines.

So for the history lesson . . . Southerners traditionally have owned guns and indeed, would at least signal w/ a shotgun if you trespassed on their property. This became non-PC and the rest of the nation enjoyed labeling Southerners as gun crazy . . . and to some degree . . . still like to say that about Southerners. Charlotte has changed and 2/3 of our residents are newcomers and most from areas where it was considered "low class" to own a gun.

It used to be that when someone's son or daughter got their first apartment in CLT, dad would make sure they were given a shotgun to protect themselves from a break-in. This was not unusual.

That changed by the 90s. The thugs have figured it out. They can blatantly break into homes and the only thing that will happen is families will try to flee while dialing 911. However, I have noticed in the last six months, several homeowners have shot intruders who threatened them. Turns out these were career criminals. Homeowners can still be charged w/ homicide so it is not something any of us would relish having to do.

The best thing to do is simply to prevent crime. Install an alarm system, secure doors and windows, lock your car and home, etc. Prudence is the best deterrent. That shotgun is the last resort.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 8,833 times
Hi All,

My name is Victor. I live in Staten Island, NY. I've heard of the concerns about Charlotte, but to me if you've lived in this God forsaken hell hole they call NY, the crime in Charlotte is a joke. I turn the news on and my head spins. The most horrific crimes you cannot even imagine occur in NY. I can say that the police in NY are excellent and there is only so much they can do. They respond ASAP to all crimes, but it's a loosing battle. From what I here Charlotte needs to increase there police department and start caring more. But if they are not getting paid for the job they will not risk there lives, so maybe that is an issue. I hope since the area is increasing that they will step up to the plate and become a better police department as I am trying my best to leave the toilet bowl of the United States. From the photos I see the city of Charlotte looks very beautiful.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:41 PM

16 posts, read 36,817 times
Hey - all of this is helpful. Having lived in Washington DC, Seattle, and LA I'd have to say that this is very interesting information. For you "old-timers" in Charlotte, would this affect your decision to move to Charlotte from another city? In other words, if you knew what you know now, would you have preferred to live in Raleigh? Or any other area in NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte