U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 07:11 AM

578 posts, read 2,485,390 times

Advertisements

Went to Subway in Steelecroft yesterday. It wasn't until I got to the register to pay that I noticed their 90.0 health inspection score. I thought, Eh, if the health department didn't shut them down, it can't be too bad, right? HA! My stomach was a mess last night.

Someone posted a funny little quip about lowering scores and at what point it's time to walk out the door. I need to find that, but I can tell you who will not be dining at establishments that can't rank a high 90s score from now on!

ETA: The Chick-fil-A across the street always has excellent scores and customer service.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,268,527 times
Do keep in mind that the health inspectors will penalize for things that have no direct influence on the quality of food. You can get deducted for a dumpster not being elevated off the ground, dishwater temps, etc.

Also if you take a look at some of the people who work there, you might conclude that the place was having on off day or that the employees who are on....just don't give a damn. If that's the case, I'll generally leave.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:27 AM

35,881 posts, read 72,373,337 times
Yeah, I remember that post. Seems we said - under 94, walk out the door - or something like that!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,429,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Do keep in mind that the health inspectors will penalize for things that have no direct influence on the quality of food. You can get deducted for a dumpster not being elevated off the ground, dishwater temps, etc.

Also if you take a look at some of the people who work there, you might conclude that the place was having on off day or that the employees who are on....just don't give a damn. If that's the case, I'll generally leave.

Im sorry but those are things I am glad the health department deducts for the dumpters not lifted could breed rats which at some point make into the store.

Germs can live on silverware which would be killed by a proper maintain dishwasher

I know how you feel if I am even doing take out I ask first what is their score. If I am doing drive thru I ask at the speaker box or if not posted in the window I drive off.

South Carolina uses the letter system and I am always wary.
I learn my lesson there . If a fish restaurant smells too fishy run.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:42 PM

578 posts, read 2,485,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
South Carolina uses the letter system and I am always wary.
I learn my lesson there . If a fish restaurant smells too fishy run.

Oregon is even worse. I think theirs are complied, exceeded, and doors closed. Well, that doesn't tell me much!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 PM

14,691 posts, read 25,077,876 times
You can find out exactly why they got a low score online at Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department. For instance, I won't go to a certain Thai restaurant in Matthews because their report says they have black mold in their sinks.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:32 AM

35,881 posts, read 72,373,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You can find out exactly why they got a low score online at Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department. For instance, I won't go to a certain Thai restaurant in Matthews because their report says they have black mold in their sinks.
Good grief. Mold. All it takes is Clorox. That is gross.

I am just really cautious about eating out. I won't walk into a restaurant w/o having done some research. I keep an eye on my favorites, as well.

I am so careful in my own kitchen and there are so many opportunities for cross-contamination . . . I often think - is anyone else gonna be as careful as I am?

There are plenty of responsible restaurant managers out there . . . and chefs as well. But untrained staff or lax attitudes about food handling (and waste handling, as well) can mean my plate is being served w/ a colony of bacteria and that totally freaks me out, LOL! I don't like paying for the opportunity to get sick - not when I work so hard in my own house to avoid just that!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:14 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,278,913 times
The last two Chinese places at which I have eaten had low sanitation scores that I notice too late. The first was a seemingly nice place in Jetton Village in Cornelius. The food was great and everything looked clean. The grade was 92. Last night I went to a buffet in LIverpool, again too late, I noticed the grade 91.5. I immediately started having stomach pains. Seems that Chinese restaurants have a hard time complying. Oh yea, I got a Chinese take away in Cornelius town center, next to the grocery store, and the grade was 92.

I remember a couple of years ago eating a buffet at an Indian restaurant on South Boulevard one Sunday. The place appeared to be clean and the food was very good. When I got to my hotel, I was watching the news and saw that it was closed right after I left for the heat on the buffet line not being hot enough. Generally, Indian food is highly spiced and less likely to go off as fish or pork, but nevertheless the health department wasn't taking any chances.

I am glad to see that there is such a system in place. They are affective and places are closed down if they don't comply with existing codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>