U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 12:40 PM

20 posts, read 65,722 times

Advertisements

We visited Charlotte last week and after experiencing a taste of the city we decided that we could see ourselves there. We visited a few apartment complexes in the University City area; Bexley Creekside, Colonial Village at Chancellor Park, and Barrington Place. I believe these were all off WT Harris Blvd. We liked all three but we're leaning towards Bexley. I've read some reviews about it and of course there are positive and negative ones. So I would love to hear your opinions regarding Bexley as well the other ones I've mentioned. Coming from NYC, the only thing that disturbed me a little was the fact that the apartments were off of a major street (WT Harris looks like a highway to me but I hear its not) and there are no alternative routes to get in and out. I'm so used to local streets. I guess this is something I have to get used to. But while I'm on this topic, does anybody have any recommendations as to other apartment complexes that are nice, safe and not necessarily off of a major street? We don't have children yet so we think University City might be suitable for us but we are also thinking of looking Dilworth and Elizabeth as viable options. From what I gather these are more traditional, and offers opportunity to walk, something I would love. Thanks you in advance for your feedback.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 01:11 PM

14,691 posts, read 25,077,876 times
I lived at Bexley Creekside for a year and it wasn't too bad. Although my upstairs neighbors did pump their bass and it took a while for the office to replace broken gym equipment. But you will have these things in almost any apartment complex. I always advise people to crime crime mapping at Community Crime Information System. You can find out exactly what has happened near a specific address.

As for being off a main road, Bexley has the advantage of having a back gate at Sugar Creek. You can turn right on Sugar Creek to head to the city. If you have the choice of living here or in Dilworth, I would recommend Dilworth. Much, much nicer. More expensive as well, though.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I lived at Bexley Creekside for a year and it wasn't too bad. Although my upstairs neighbors did pump their bass and it took a while for the office to replace broken gym equipment. But you will have these things in almost any apartment complex. I always advise people to crime crime mapping at Community Crime Information System. You can find out exactly what has happened near a specific address.

As for being off a main road, Bexley has the advantage of having a back gate at Sugar Creek. You can turn right on Sugar Creek to head to the city. If you have the choice of living here or in Dilworth, I would recommend Dilworth. Much, much nicer. More expensive as well, though.
Thank you soooo much. I truly appreciate the info. I checked the crime stats and they don't seem too bad compared to what I'm used to here in the Bronx. I live in an apartment building now so I know what other nuances come with that. I didn't realize that Bexley as an alternative route. Thank God. I feel a lot better about this. Again, thanks for sharing your perspective.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:42 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,934,413 times
Harris is a good road to live off of, but I ask you one very important questions, which way will you be going to get to work. If I recall correctly Bexley only allows East bound traffic when leaving and entering, so if you need to go west (towards 77) you will have to do a lot of U-turns and it gets bad around there for those. If you want a Garage check out Addison park. Barrington PLace has Ok reviewes, but I will have to go home and check what other ones I looked at.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:29 PM

49 posts, read 170,400 times
We lived in Addison Park which is right across the street from Bexley. Nicer with a garage. We actually were looking at Bexley when we saw Addison Park but Bexley is still nice we just chose Addison Park becuase we got a deal on the apt. for $975 2 bedroom instead of $1200. We only moved to buy a house. I love that area of town. Its not too much going on there. The traffic isn't a problem outside of 5p-6p.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:07 PM

144 posts, read 380,196 times
I lived at the Residences at Braemar from 2006-2007. They're off Harris blvd past Northlake mall. They were pretty nice and the rent was cheap. I lived with my mom at the time and we got a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment for $875 a month. Thats a steal in the university area and the neighborhood was great. It's very quiet and I think I only saw the cops there once or twice the year that I lived there. I would look into it. The only down side is now they have construction on harris blvd in that area but once you get past that small strech you can hop right onto 77 to get where ever you need to go.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:12 PM

Thank you to all that have shared their insights and offered other housing alternatives. I really do appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>