Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 04:14 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times

Advertisements

I was in the Colorado/Denver forum area replying to a weather Thread and stating that we are planning on moving to the Charlotte area, later this year, because the winters are better than here in the Denver metro area.
A lady sent a reply in that Thread telling me this:

"I just want to say I know the Carolinas really well. My ex is from there and I dreaded going there for vacations, holidays and so on. It has stifling humidity in the summer and even up in the mountains it is humid and hot with very little breezes which is why I can see why they call them the smokies because the smoke isnt going anywhere. If you have arthritis, be prepared for more aches since the humidity really increases the pain and I know his mom had to move to the west because of that and is doing much better in the drier west. There is no paradise anywhere on earth. You just pick the place that best fits you and go with it. For me, Id rather have the cooler summers."

Is what she says TRUE and if what she says is TRUE, will we "survive" there or have to move again????
We don't want to make the wrong move from Parker, CO to Charlotte.....if she is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 06:07 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,794 times
I've lived in NC all of my 41 years. In the summers, the mountains are very nice. There are mountain breezes and the humidity is very comfortable. But there are variations depending on elevation. In Boone, they average about 45" of snow, Asheville 16", and Hendersonville 11". With that in mind, you can figure about what the temps/humidity are like in the summers. My wife went to college in Boone, and she never had to use an air conditioner, and seldom used a fan. As far as Charlotte in the summers, it can get really warm (average July high is 89) and a bit humid, but at least to me it's pretty bearable. The real heat and humidity is in the lower half of NC from about Southern Pines/Pinehurst eastward. I'm not sure when you're moving here, but it might be a good idea to come for a week or two in June and judge for yourself. To me, the weather here is great year round, especially the NC mountains in the summer. To someone else, it might not be. The vast majority of the nation is really hot and pretty humid in the summers. About the only places that aren't are from San Francisco northward and the New England states north of NYC. I hope it works out with you. Good luck!!!

Old 01-27-2007, 07:39 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,874 times
I live in Maine and have been looking to move to NC. I have also been told the it is very humid from parents of a friend of mine that live in the Mt area SW NC. I lived in VA/DC which is very humid and I got used to it. I guess unless you have a medical condition it shouldn't keep you from moving. I have read though if Humidity is a concern that TN has less humid wether because the Smokey Mt keep the humid air coming from the Ocean away, but still has mild winters. good luck

Old 01-27-2007, 12:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I was in the Colorado/Denver forum area replying to a weather Thread and stating that we are planning on moving to the Charlotte area, later this year, because the winters are better than here in the Denver metro area.

"I just want to say I know the Carolinas really well. My ex is from there and I dreaded going there for vacations, holidays and so on. It has stifling humidity in the summer and even up in the mountains it is humid and hot with very little breezes which is why I can see why they call them the smokies because the smoke isnt going anywhere. If you have arthritis, be prepared for more aches since the humidity really increases the pain and I know his mom had to move to the west because of that and is doing much better in the drier west. There is no paradise anywhere on earth. You just pick the place that best fits you and go with it. For me, Id rather have the cooler summers."

Is what she says TRUE and if what she says is TRUE, will we "survive" there or have to move again????
We don't want to make the wrong move from Parker, CO to Charlotte.....if she is right.
One can not make generalizations about NC's climate due to the differences in topography from one end of the state to the other. The most important single influence contributing to the variability of North Carolina climate is altitude. The elevation ranges from sea level on the coast to 6,684 feet in the Mountain Region. The average annual temperature at Southport, NC on the lower coast is nearly as high as that of interior northern Florida, while the average on the summit of Mount Mitchell in the Mountain Region is lower than that of Buffalo, NY. The average relative humidity does not vary greatly from season to season but is generally the highest in winter and lowest in spring. The lowest relative humidities are found over the southern Piedmont, where the year around average is about 65 percent. The highest are along the immediate coast, averaging around 75 percent.

Asheville Airport - Southern Mountain Region (Elevation 2,165 Feet)
Charlotte Airport - Southern Piedmont Region (Elevation 748 Feet)
Wilmington Airport - Southern Coastal Region (Elevation 32 Feet)

Average Daily Highs & Lows
(1971-2000)

JAN
Asheville 45.9/25.8
Charlotte 51.3/32.1
Wilmington 56.3/35.8

JUL
Asheville 83.3/62.7
Charlotte 90.1/70.6
Wilmington 89.9/72.3

Average Yearly Snow Totals
(including ice pellets and sleet)

Asheville - 15.2"
Charlotte - 5.5"
Wilmington - 2.0"

National Weather Service

Last edited by mm34b; 01-27-2007 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-07-2007, 08:13 PM

14 posts, read 51,025 times
Hi. I've been in Charlotte for 10 years. We typically have 4 seasons ,but last year, we somehow skipped spring and went straight to summer. Charlotte is not in the mountains so you it will have a different weather pattern versus other areas of the state. We saw snow last week for the first time in 4 years. It lasted for 1/2 a day. ( of course the town shut down for a good 24 hours!) Spring starts end of Feb. and is FANTASTIC!! Summers are HOT and HUMID. I am a runner and must run at 5:30 am or 6am on the truly hot summer days b/c of the air quality, heat and humidity. Other than that...I have no complaints about the weather...we even had 70 degree weather about 3 weeks ago.

Good luck! I am trying to get up to Denver to live for a while so sounds like I need to get used to snow!

Old 02-07-2007, 08:28 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,740 times
This lady obviously doesn't care for Charlotte and of course that's her perogative. That's the kool thing about life...we're not all alike. I do, however, disagree with her depiction of the weather. It does indeed get hot in mid summer, July/August. But the intense heat doesn't last long. And it is humid. However, we have mild winters and GORGEOUS spring and fall. As for the mountains, she's just plain wrong. I'm from the mountains of Western North Carolina and its rarely get above 80 in the hottest part of summer and usually always a gentle breeze. The winters are COLD.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 PM

571 posts, read 715,202 times
If weather is the most important thing you're concerned about, then you need to come to San Diego, which is known for having the best weather in the country. Some refer to it as the Land of Eternal Spring. There is very little variation in temperatures here. In January, the average high is 66 and the average low is 50 (which is a nighttime temperature). August is the hottest month and the average high then is 78, and average low is 67. It's sunny more than 300 days a year (and on the rare occasions when it isn't sunny, just drive west about 15 miles into the desert and it will be sunny there). Humidity is low and it barely ever rains. Annual precipitation is less than 11 inches, and for about six months a year (from around April to November) you generally don't see a single drop of rain. When we do have rain, it's usually fast and furious and gone pretty quickly. And snow? Never. And surrounded by mountains, canyons and the ocean, the scenery is gorgeous. The big joke is that the easiest job in the world is doing the local weather in San Diego. The downside -- yes, there's always a downside -- the real estate in San Diego is some of the most expensive in the country. And if you're a person who needs to have the four seasons, you won't get them here. No colorful autumn leaves. No snowmen to build. And if you like playing in the ocean, the Pacific here is super cold most of the year. Really only in July and August is it warm enough to go in without a wet suit. And though there are beaches everywhere, some are sandy, some are rocky, and only a few are wide, white sandy beaches that are the norm in the Carolinas. It's all about what suits you personally. What works for some won't for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

Old 02-08-2007, 06:24 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,116 times
I think that the summers here compare to DC from we have seen...we were hhousehunting in June July and Aug down here and it was very similar to DC. It is not like coastal NC or SC though, it is not that humid and not that warm for as long. I think the seasons so far are perfect..cold for the holidays, mild in the fall and the leaves actually change!!! coastal SC they don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte