U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,837 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I've posted here before, but forgot all the login stuff so I guess I now appear "new". ANYWAY, My husband STILL has not been able to find work as a heavy equipment operator despite walking onto jobsites, checking charmeck every day, careerbuilder, temp agencies, etc. After 8 months and a few "pick up" Craig's list construction day jobs, he swallowed his pride, and went to work for Papa Johns delivering pizza. The 1st night he worked (Friday), he was robbed at gunpoint by 4 thugs. They got a whopping $20. He is sooo furious! He's refusing to quit, though. I'm still hoping, trusting and praying that he'll get the construction job he deserves so that he can regain his self esteem.

Thank God when we moved here a year ago we almost paid for our home. We paid $150k and only owe $50k. The issue now is that he's starting to consider moving to Canada to work where they are paying equipment operators $25-$45 an hour. We just don't want to give our house away in this bleak housing market.

Please pray that he finds work in/around Charlotte soon. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
~~~Kat
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 10:40 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,660,202 times
Hi Kat,

Tell your husband to keep his spirit and pride high. Anyone who is willing to do what it takes when times are tough earns my respect anyday! Trust me when I tell you there are lots of people out there in his shoes and many more to come. There have been times in my life, many in fact, that I've had to bite my pride and do whatever need be to make a living. I've always come through it and I'm sure your husband will too.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 PM

58 posts, read 118,162 times
[SIZE=3]I shall pray for him. His hard work, patience and will – will be rewarded. I feel for you but hang in there and….. ‘Everything happens for a reason’. Good will come back to him.[/SIZE]

Old 09-22-2008, 08:04 AM

380 posts, read 1,654,887 times
I will pray for you and your husband. Don't give up yet.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,478,531 times
How infuriating!! I am so sorry you are going through this! Just remember, things will get better. It's a real testimony to your husband's character that he is doing what he has to do for you to survive, and I salute him for that!! You'll be in my prayers!!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 AM

21,956 posts, read 22,354,131 times
Has he checked into state/county jobs? Like the guys that are working on the roads and such? I know they aren't easy to get but boy it pays well and the benefits are the best!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,956,299 times
Best of luck to him. The job market is quite frustrating. I've been out of work for a year and I'm VERY lucky that I have a secondary source of income.

I just hope he doesn't get fired from that job. It seems like almost every delivery driver robbery has ended with the employee being fired. I guess they had a bunch of people set up robberies in the past and now it's SOP.

Good luck and make sure he keeps his head up.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:37 AM

35,883 posts, read 70,390,703 times
Apply to Lowe's! Keep applying! Go to every Lowe's and do an application. Working in the warehouse or in the garden section would be safe and if he could get fulltime - there would be bennies, too.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 AM

422 posts, read 1,266,875 times
Wow.....What a REAL Man your Husband is! If only every man in this world had the guts and pride like your husband does!

Im sorry for the unfortunate things that are happening to you both. All I can say is- your not alone. Just hang in there, try to stay positive and it will get better... It will!!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:53 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,451,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
Wow.....What a REAL Man your Husband is! If only every man in this world had the guts and pride like your husband does!

Im sorry for the unfortunate things that are happening to you both. All I can say is- your not alone. Just hang in there, try to stay positive and it will get better... It will!!!!
I could not have said it better myself. I hope things get better for you and your husband. Thank God he was not hurt in the robbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte