Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 PM

225 posts, read 716,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieD27 View Post
Is it just me.. or is this place not all it's cracked up to be? Maybe it's just because i'm from Long Island NY and nothing else compares to NY, but tons of New Yorkers are apparently moving here.. and I just don't know what all the hype is about Charlotte!! The house prices are low, so what? House prices are low in Idaho.. so why is everyone going to Charlotte? For a nicely priced spacious house, I just don't think it's worth it to move here because the area itself is not that great. I think the crime is out of control.. I have NEVER felt unsafe in new york.. most of the crime that people think is there is just some outdated stereotype that is untrue, but here?? It's awful! And if you want to live in the safest richest neighborhoods, you're going to pay 800,000 for a house so why bother leaving NY anyway! I hate watching Fox Charlotte because all I hear about are murders, shootings, etc; uptown is pretty darn lame; the north side of charlotte is so barren.. even with all that northlake mall stuff, I am just bored and my husband and I can't wait for our lease to be over.

I just wanted to know if anyone else felt similar.. because I honestly just don't understand the hype!
Yes. Moved here from San Diego. Miss the best climate in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:34 PM

167 posts, read 474,000 times
NYC is overcrowded and overall a pain in the ass to get around
I would not go back
however, Charlotte isn't all it's cracked up to be- it's very prejudice, backward thinking, and I'm not sure it's the place for me and I've been here since January

not sure where I would want to go though, I don't want to go back to NYC, I grew up in Philadelphia before moving to NYC and unless you are in the legal profession, higher education, or work for a hospital, Phila is hardly the area you want to be in anymore...

Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
your opinion is always welcome here because you are a great person on here and off of here.
You are a "true" person in who you are and you make a great addition to this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Forgive the length of this post, it has truly been a trying day in this house. But the subject really hit home for me -- which incidentally is North Carolina now (for the past 10 years) even though New York had me for the previous 36...first Westchester, then Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and finally Long Island before heading south.

Part of what I do in my business is to point out what is wonderful about this city. We love it here. But it is not for everyone. When I do have clients that are relocating I try to temper my enthusiasm for this area and explain that it truly is not for everyone. If you spend a lot of time in Manhattan, and it is important for you to go to Broadway shows whenever you want, for example, then Charlotte is not for you. For us the appeal was for our family -- then young children who are now growing (have grown?) into young men. Also, the cost of housing and lower taxes, as well as a shorter commute for my husband -- in combination with the kids not having to spend ten hours in daycare so that we both could work in order to afford our small house in nice area. As I said, for us it was absolutely the right move, even given our current situation. See, we had 10 good years here, and I hope and pray it will be more.

It really hit home today for sure -- my husband, who works (worked?) for Wachovia for the 10 years we've been here (first at First Union...) will likely be out of work soon, along with many others in this wonderful town. And my first thought was "I hope we can find a way to stay..." and my second "I really don't want to go back to New York." Time will tell I suppose

Thanks all for reading the lengthy post -- those of you who know me know that I am generally pretty quiet about stuff like this. But sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut

Old 09-29-2008, 05:39 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieD27 View Post
Is it just me.. or is this place not all it's cracked up to be?
Perhaps it is just you. What where you expecting?

Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
I would not go back
however, Charlotte isn't all it's cracked up to be- it's very prejudice, backward thinking, and I'm not sure it's the place for me and I've been here since January

Define "backward thinking"

Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
I hope that board members will not take the opinions of one EX Ny'er and use that as a standard to judge all other transplants from NY.There's always one person that perhaps smoked a little too much crack or has fallen on hard times. They need to strike back in some way to justify their mis-judgement.Let's not try to convience them to stay or judge them. Perhaps they should take the fork in the road, but be aware of restrictions outlined below.

OP while you were gone they closed the NY border. Maybe you missed it on the news. Ha, Ha, you THOUGHT it was just illegal immigrants. Wrong. Read the fine print about re-entry. Yep, right there para. 83 line 3 of sec. 9 entitled :Re-entry of former citizens of CLT to NYS.
Sorry.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisBulldog View Post
One trick pony?

Yes it was a generalization.

But, where are the textile jobs, or furniture jobs or for that matter any manufacturing jobs in Charlotte?

Yeah, 40 years ago there was a diverse manufacturing base in Charlotte but that has evaporated with the desire to get clean white collar jobs.

And now those white collar jobs are being sent to India due to cheaper labor.

Maybe you need to get out some yourself!
Hee Hee, Yes, Boris, I probably do need to get out more. Like you, I work at home.

And you are right. We have lost so many jobs to China/India - and not just manufacturing jobs. I am fond of pointing out that I no longer subscribe to the CLT OBS b/c they laid off graphic artists and outsourced the layout of the newspaper to India. That is unforgivable - putting people out of work - a local publication!!!!

But banking is NOT all there is here. And that is why I objected to the one trick pony comment. It does seem, however, that healthcare truly is the only sector (anywhere in the country) that is immune to layoffs.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:55 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
I would not go back

not sure where I would want to go though, I don't want to go back to NYC, I grew up in Philadelphia before moving to NYC and unless you are in the legal profession, higher education, or work for a hospital, Phila is hardly the area you want to be in anymore...
You should leave

Old 09-29-2008, 07:05 PM

257 posts, read 669,496 times
I understand SunnieD's comment. I had a lot of friends from NY or up north who didn't really like living in Charlotte. I think most people like what they are used to though and in a city of transplants you will probably have a few others in your situation. The one thing that drove me crazy when I lived there was that most of my friends kept moving away so I had to keep making new friends. They were all single so probably more mobile but it seemed that Charlotte got old to them fast. I would consider moving back someday if the economy gets on track. I think a lot of people are somewhat stuck right now.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
It really hit home today for sure -- my husband, who works (worked?) for Wachovia for the 10 years we've been here (first at First Union...) will likely be out of work soon, along with many others in this wonderful town. And my first thought was "I hope we can find a way to stay..." and my second "I really don't want to go back to New York." Time will tell I suppose
I hope that your DH is gonna find that his job is not going to go away . . . and that you all can stay here many more decades - or at least - as long as you wish to be here!

I honestly believe that there is not going to be a huge shake-down here in CLT. I think CITI is going to recognize the value w/ keeping jobs here.

You have been a true "goodwill ambassador" in our community as well as here on this forum. And I just gotta believe you will be staying here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte