Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times

Advertisements

I dunno. I think one issue that may come up is that Birkdale becomes a little deserted. Kind of like Liverpool up at 28. If you look at Birkdale and Kenton Place there is not that much of a problem. I guess time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 07:34 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I dunno. I think one issue that may come up is that Birkdale becomes a little deserted. Kind of like Liverpool up at 28. If you look at Birkdale and Kenton Place there is not that much of a problem. I guess time will tell.
That you are correct. Northlake Mall, Concord Mills Mall, Birkdale, new "Birkdales" coming to Mooresville, Troutman, Cornelius, endless box stores and shopping centers galore..something is gonna give. People favor the newest over the new, and will flock to it. If something bigger and better to Birkdale is built, probably quite a few businesses will eagerly change locations and people will too. Not to say there arent other businesses that are waiting in line for an open shop, but they will be different, maybe a dollar store in Birkdale?

For a long time developers have had the "build and they will come mentality" and this had held true. But they really are over-reaching in the Lake Norman area and about every Sunday in the Charlotte Observer there is an article about too many malls, grocery stores, etc.

I think its high time they (developers) start looking in other areas further out.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 PM

509 posts, read 1,803,309 times
So there will be a new exit 26 for the Cornelius Birkdale, and then a new exit 32 for Langtee at the Lake... that's a LOT of activity!!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 PM

478 posts, read 959,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
In the Charlotte Observer today, Bromont Investments of Scottsdale Arizona announced it is planning a shopping area in the town of Cornelius similar to the shopping area in Huntersvilles' Birkdale. The difference is that it will make Birkdale seem rather small in comparison.

"The Village at Lake Norman" as it would be named, would encompass 900,000 square feet of stores, two hotels, and 284 residential areas above the stores.

The developer is also proposing a new interchange/exit off of interstate 77, and the developer has offered to pay for it entirely.

The project would be centered on a village green, with shops, residences, and restauraunts on the perimeter. "Classic sea side Southern resorts" is the style the developer calls it.

How does this compare to other shopping areas?

*Proposed Village at Lake Norman:*
900,000 sqaure feet retail, 105 acres of land, 250 room hotel. and a 100 room hotel.

COMPARED WITH -

Birkdale: 290,000 square feet of retail on 52 acres.

Northlake Mall: 1.1 million square feet of retail.

SouthPark Mall: 1.4 million square feet of retail.

Concord Mills Mall: 1.4 million square feet of retail.

All that needs to be done is approval by the town planning staff and a public hearing.

I predict that this will get approved, and will hurt the businesses tremendously at NorthLake Mall, possibly Birkdale as well. Traffic will be a nightmare.

This also seems to be a change from the traditional inside mall like Northlake and Concord Mills to the 'outdoorsy' areas like Birkdale. Maybe the inside type malls will be a thing of the past?

I think it would be great for this area, as long as the roads and infrastructure come first for once. But probably build first, then come the roads.

Source: Charlotte Observer / charlotte.com

Wow. Just when you thought this area couldn't get any more saturated with mindless expansion. Such greed. This is a massive project that is completely unnessecary. And in an environment, in particular, that has already well surpassed the limits of the traffic it can already handle. How much more shopping does this place need???? It is so absurd, it is surreal.

And the real estate person who says "I don't mind... It will lower the taxes!" Wow. What a nobel perspective. Way to spin it for the people who think from afar this is their dream destination. Reality check: This place is way way over rated.

This all kinda reminds me of that girl from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory who ate so many sweets that she massively balloons up and almost explodes. Or did she explode? I forget. And the area of exits 25-36 is on the verge of tipping... but... yes... I am so glad to be lightening the load ever so slightly - and heading back to where I belong. Ta ta.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Berkshires413; 02-28-2007 at 08:31 PM..

Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
I actually moved to Huntersville and the Lake Norman area for the activity and the stores. If I wanted peace and quiet I would have moved some where further out. Has anyone moved up to Lake Norman and Huntersville expecting peace and quiet? I sure didn't.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I actually moved to Huntersville and the Lake Norman area for the activity and the stores. If I wanted peace and quiet I would have moved some where further out. Has anyone moved up to Lake Norman and Huntersville expecting peace and quiet? I sure didn't.
Well I actually hear people say they want to move here for a slower paced and more peaceful enviroment. The problem with moving 'further out' is that many people who intend on it realize they will be a little too far from the local Walmart than desired so they bite the bullet and live within these Lake Norman cities.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:32 PM

I also was driving on Hwy 150 from Catawba county into Mooresville today and as I was sitting in traffic I noticed a field with cows to my left. Right next to it, a Lone Star Steak House. On my right was another field, and maybe a quarter of a mile back a rather large housing development. This field also bordering the new Best Buy / Old Navy shopping complex. It just seemed sad to me was all. The old farms and a way of life for many vanishing.

I can still remember when the Target in Huntersville had just been built. That was it for a while, and then the Old Navy in Huntersville along with the Kohls and all else in that shopping center was added in 1998 I believe. So much has happened there in 10 years, and it grows each day still! Wouldve been nice to have taken pictures back then and compare them to now. I could show people the pictures and people would ask, wow were these taken 30 years ago? Nope, just last year!

Just reminiscing I guess....Point being I do think the area is overrated as well, if you dont have lake access then its just like anywhere else.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:58 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
I used to ride my bike down Sam furr and dirt bikes in the fields where Birkdale is. Heck Ican remember when all there was in Huntersville was food town and the Ice Cream Place.

Heck even when WT Harris was 2 lanes and this was all less than 10-12 years ago.

Along time ago I talked with a developer who said something that I thought was interesting and his spin on it was that each exit at one point would be able to support themselves. Meaning hospitals,jobs,shopping etc. His off the cuff statement could becoming a reality.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:13 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Well I actually hear people say they want to move here for a slower paced and more peaceful enviroment. The problem with moving 'further out' is that many people who intend on it realize they will be a little too far from the local Walmart than desired so they bite the bullet and live within these Lake Norman cities.

I guess it may be a slower pace for some, even though areas like Huntersville are quit crowded. I agree I think some people want peace and quiet but then when they have to travel far to work or to the store they end up biting the bullet. I have driven out to some of the country bumpkin places of Mooresville even though I could get to a store within 10 minutes it still felt far. LOL I enjoy having everything at my fingertips and find Huntersville pretty convienient.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:32 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
.........Just reminiscing I guess....Point being I do think the area is overrated as well, if you dont have lake access then its just like anywhere else.
It absolutely blows my mind! I can remember when Brawley Middle School was out in the "country" and we'd have to bring coolers for drinks during outdoor sports events because the closest store was on 150. That wasn't very long ago - 10-11 years maybe.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte