Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:57 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times

Advertisements

In the Charlotte Observer today, Bromont Investments of Scottsdale Arizona announced it is planning a shopping area in the town of Cornelius similar to the shopping area in Huntersvilles' Birkdale. The difference is that it will make Birkdale seem rather small in comparison.

"The Village at Lake Norman" as it would be named, would encompass 900,000 square feet of stores, two hotels, and 284 residential areas above the stores.

The developer is also proposing a new interchange/exit off of interstate 77, and the developer has offered to pay for it entirely.

The project would be centered on a village green, with shops, residences, and restauraunts on the perimeter. "Classic sea side Southern resorts" is the style the developer calls it.

How does this compare to other shopping areas?

*Proposed Village at Lake Norman:*
900,000 sqaure feet retail, 105 acres of land, 250 room hotel. and a 100 room hotel.

COMPARED WITH -

Birkdale: 290,000 square feet of retail on 52 acres.

Northlake Mall: 1.1 million square feet of retail.

SouthPark Mall: 1.4 million square feet of retail.

Concord Mills Mall: 1.4 million square feet of retail.

All that needs to be done is approval by the town planning staff and a public hearing.

I predict that this will get approved, and will hurt the businesses tremendously at NorthLake Mall, possibly Birkdale as well. Traffic will be a nightmare.

This also seems to be a change from the traditional inside mall like Northlake and Concord Mills to the 'outdoorsy' areas like Birkdale. Maybe the inside type malls will be a thing of the past?

I think it would be great for this area, as long as the roads and infrastructure come first for once. But probably build first, then come the roads.

Source: Charlotte Observer / charlotte.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
Well I know they are cutting in another exit on 77 sometime. Exit 32 to help with trafic concerns. Does it say where in Cornelius this will be done? I can't imagine where this would be..... Maybe near Westmoreland RD?

Old 02-14-2007, 04:25 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,603 times
Isn't that quite close to Birkdale anyhow ? I thought Birkdale was cute when we visited 2 wks. ago, but then got claustrophobic after awhile. Toooo tight for meeee, and just another mall. Sorry.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:31 PM

Yep just read the newspaper. That's walking distance from my home. Near the new elementary school.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Isn't that quite close to Birkdale anyhow ? I thought Birkdale was cute when we visited 2 wks. ago, but then got claustrophobic after awhile. Toooo tight for meeee, and just another mall. Sorry.

I wouldnt move to Lake Norman at all if you are claustrophobic! Lots of people, traffic...

Old 02-14-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I wouldnt move to Lake Norman at all if you are claustrophobic! Lots of people, traffic...
Um that's becoming all of Charlotte....

Old 02-14-2007, 09:15 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,603 times
Nixed that for sure ... I'll stick with the older homes, with trees and a yard, and the country roads. Davidson and Cornelius were more attractive, but now learning that these Birkdale type developments will be built, is a bit over the top. I can see why folks love it though, lots of activity and it appeals to those who want a certain lifestyle. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:39 PM

Thought I would revive this thread after reading an article in the Huntersville Herald written by 'Humpy' Wheeler, President of Lowes Motor Speedway. He made some good points that I will list. This is in regards to the future "Birkdale" in Cornelius that this thread is about.

1. Widen 1-77 Huntersville to Mooresville.

2. Widen U.S. 21 to 4 lanes from Huntersville to Cornelius.

3. Widen Hwy 73 (Sam Furr Rd) from I-77 to U.S. 115.

4. Increase city services, police and fire.

Humpy says it might work with these improvements BEFORE anything like this is built in the area.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:00 PM

1. Virtually impossible with the Lake there. That is the skinniest part of I-77

2. Developer has offered to do this with some tax breaks.

3. This is already planned with Staples,Marshals and Petco being built and with CVS and the new developments at the corner of 73 and 115. The RR tracks are also supposed to be raised for the light rail syatem.

4. We need that anyways. Just not enough folk applying for the positions.

I am actually looking forward to the new "Birkdale" it will be right on the edge of my neighborhood, Oakhurst, and would enjoy the walk over to restaurants and bars etc. We are moving though but plan to keep the house as a rental.

More commercial business the better IMO keeps my taxes low

Old 02-28-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
1. Virtually impossible with the Lake there. That is the skinniest part of I-77

2. Developer has offered to do this with some tax breaks.

3. This is already planned with Staples,Marshals and Petco being built and with CVS and the new developments at the corner of 73 and 115. The RR tracks are also supposed to be raised for the light rail syatem.

4. We need that anyways. Just not enough folk applying for the positions.

I am actually looking forward to the new "Birkdale" it will be right on the edge of my neighborhood, Oakhurst, and would enjoy the walk over to restaurants and bars etc. We are moving though but plan to keep the house as a rental.

More commercial business the better IMO keeps my taxes low

I agree that these improvements are needed now.

I know that it will be convenient for you to only have to walk to these places. But you must take into account the thousands this place will attract during the day. Think about it, Know how packed the roads are on a summer day by the lake? Now put that place there, and it will be a traffic nightmare. Basically they will need to put helicopters pads and shuttle people in that way cause it will be so much easier.

The developer proposes nothing that will alleviate the situation, adding a new interchange wont help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte