Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:40 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times

Advertisements

I was looking into the Weddington Middle school and it appears they have a very strict dress code, pants and shirts can only be certain colors, and they have a uniform vendor on their web site - Are all schools like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 07:50 AM

I looked at other middle and hs, some allow jeans, others down - this is what most of them demand -

All shirts/blouses/dresses must have a distinct sleeve with a shoulder seam, and the shirt must be able to be tucked in even when hands are extended above the student’s head, and have either a collar or a neckline that is no more than one inch below the collar bone.

No saggy or baggy pants, they must fit a certain way on the waist, etc and if you fail to follow the rules, look at consequences

Consequences:
1st offense: loaner garments will be worn if student is unable to correct problem immediately*
2nd offense: 45 minute detention will be assigned and loaner garments will be worn if student is unable to correct problem immediately*
3rd offense: 90 minute detention will be assigned and loaner garments will be worn if student is unable to correct problem immediately*
4th offense: Saturday School will be assigned and loaner garments will be worn if student is unable to correct problem immediately*
5th offense: student will be sent home until parent conference
6th offense : OSS will be assigned progressively for each offense

We have a certain dress code here too but kids are not given detention etc for not following it...at the end of the yr when it does get hot, they can wear sleeveless shirts

Old 07-20-2006, 09:28 AM

477 posts, read 1,583,270 times
What???? What county is this? What are the named colors of shirts and whatnot? Or does it mention specifics? My son would die!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:42 AM

This is union county weddington middle and iredell )the lake norman schools I imagine most of the schools have simialr dress codes

Tops must be Solid navy, dark green, white, or khaki – cotton or cotton blend (no sheer fabric) crew neck tee shirt, polo shirts (golf shirts with collar), mock or turtle neck (no v-neck or blouses)

Boys may wear white, navy, or dark green dress shirts

Bottoms solid navy or khaki in color

no cargo pockets
cannot sag or be baggy in the seat
must be a cotton twill or cotton blend – cannot be velvet or velour
sweatpants/knit pants of any type are not allowed
shorts to the knee are acceptable – shorts above the knee must be purchased through the vendor
skirts, jumpers, and skorts must be to the knee or below with no slits above the knee
navy or khaki overalls without cargo pockets are permitted

Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,274 times
My son attended school in New Hanover County (Wilmington) for years, and is now attending in Buncombe County (Asheville) for the last few years, and there are no dress codes at all as far as colors, khakis, etc. I think very few public school systems in the state have them.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:51 AM

The ones that I researched do, I imagine it depends where you are, I only looked at the schools at which I may consider to be in the area. I do not know if the elementary level has them, it appears to be more in the middle and high school levels....if you go to a particular schools website, they have the dress codes in there.. I do not have a problem with a dress code, but unless there is a uniform (like many private cath schools have) but I think the consequences are a little much.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:57 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors
My son attended school in New Hanover County (Wilmington) for years, and is now attending in Buncombe County (Asheville) for the last few years, and there are no dress codes at all as far as colors, khakis, etc. I think very few public school systems in the state have them.
Nothing special going on south of Asheville either. Henderson County public schools have no dress code per se. Each student is just expected to dress appropriately for a learning environment. It seems to work fine so far.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:19 AM..

Old 07-20-2006, 10:40 AM

Here's another one for Brawley Middle school-(maybe they use certain colors for a reason)

SHIRTS & BLOUSES
• Shirts/blouses will be a solid color of red, white or black
ALL SHIRTS/BLOUSES MUST BE TUCKED IN AT ALL TIMES. ANY STUDENT REACHING A FOURTH OFFENSE FOR BEING UNTUCKED WILL BE PLACED ON A CONTRACT AND A PARENT CONFERENCE WILL BE REQUESTED.

Bottoms: solid khaki or black. (Khaki pants can only be shades of beige

This is not allowed:

Writing on shirts, i.e., logos (American Eagle, GAP, etc.) advertisements (Coke, pro sports teams, etc.), colored stitching,
Denim material, jeans, leggings, spandex pants, clothing with frayed hems, baggy or wide leg pants, sweat pants, gym shorts, bottom wear knit clothing, oversized or denim overalls, and pants with elastic cuffs.
bottom must be worn at an appropriate waist level. No low riding pants. Shorts, skirts, and skorts must meet the knees.
If students choose to wear long, knee length socks with shorts, skorts, or skirts, the socks must be red, black, or white and also match.
Belts are optional, but individual contracts requiring belts will be made for students disciplined regularly for low riding pants.
Chronic failure to comply with the dress code will be treated as insubordination and could be punished with out of school suspension.
Grade levels with the least amount of dress code violations monthly will be rewarded with the opportunity to wear jeans on a designated day.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,977 times
Dress code violations are handled with the highest priority at Weddington Middle School. Teachers are standing post when the children get off the bus. There is even a teacher who will creep up on the children who are bent over at their lockers, and put her hand down their pants to enforce a tuck in policy. Multiple parents have asked for her to keep her hands out of their children's pants, but the school and district culture supports punitive measures.
It took a police report to stop her, after she yanked a child's sweatshirt up to see if the shirt underneath was tucked in, and the girl did not have a shirt under it. The teacher exposed this child's underwear to a group of coeds. It is a very strict environment. Three infractions lead to suspension, which leads to no field trips for the semester. You can lose the priviledge of playing sports too. All for untucked shirts, or a shirt a shade too dark, or wearing a non uniform colored outerwear jacket on route to one of a million trailers. The principal is very rigid. It is more strict than the Dominican nuns were in the 70's, and this is a public school.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:02 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
Brianna will be in the 7th grade this year in Edgecombe County and they are making the 7th and 8th graders go to uniforms this year but not the high schools. Anyone care to give me a logic explanation for not targeting what would seem to me to be the higher risk group of girls in particular in regards to their choice of clothing for school? When I went to school, the girls could only wear dresses to school, from 1957 until 1969 when I graduated. The year after I graduated, they started letting the girls wear dress slacks only. After that it got into the shorts but the girl had to be able to touch the hem of the shorts with her fingertips with her arms beside her sides. The clothing issue got worse and worse and I can't count the number of times I had to go after Miranda for breaking the dress codes when she was in school during the mid 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte