U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 03:53 PM

18 posts, read 54,826 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, looks like a great clearinghouse of info. I just got a job in Charlotte and will be relocating in early Nov. My wife and son won't be coming down until Jan. and we won't be able to look for apartments together until then so I'm going to need accomodations for the first couple of months. I saw a Studio 6 extended stay motel that is cheap but does anyone know about this place or the neighborhood it's in? Its address is 3420 Queen City Road in Charlotte, very close to Exit 33 off I-85.

I don't need anything fancy, just something livable and safe that won't cost more than $900 a month. My office is in the city, near Bank of America Stadium, but my day starts at 5 a.m. so traffic isn't a major concern. If possible, I'd like something within 20 miles because of gas costs.

Any suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 61,820,627 times
look elsewhere that isnt along 85

Old 10-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Any suggestions? Is all of I-85 bad or just where the Studio 6 is?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM

19,858 posts, read 61,735,944 times
I don't know about the Studio 6 but I stay frequently at the Red Roof Inn at exit 33. It's safe, mostly commerical travelers and families, there's a Waffle Inn (or Pancake House) there and several hotels. It's fine for me, a 66 y/o handicapped female, so I think the Studio 6 would be OK unless someone has actually stayed there and has a bad opinion.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:59 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,744,325 times
I think the reviews off the property are very telling...

Quote:
This is one of those Motel 6 properties where Accor has opted to put the employees behind security . . . .which tends to be a sign. My room was clean. Like all Motel 6 properties, , pet was allowed. I was afraid to walk him outside given the traffic and loitering people (in cars) in the parking lot.‎ First of all, let me state that this is my experience as it happened. could have been an "off-day" (or an on-day for that matter). At any rate, this is an account of the hour and a half i spent at this hotel.
Quote:
i've been looking for a place to stay in charlotte while i find permanent housing in the area. this place had decent reviews so i thought i'd pay the daily rate to check it out for a night. upon arrival i was met at the (locked) door by the front desk person who told me it would be 30-45 minutes before she could do anything for me as they were in the middle of a shift change/audit. i've had this happen before so i drove around the area during this time to get a feel for the basic living amenities... not much to brag about. upon return after 52 minutes the front desk lady ignored me for an additional 10 until she finished her "shift change/audit". after which she did finally help me. checking in (without a reservation) took about 20 minutes as her printer didn't work so she had to fill in the form i was to sign manually. you'd think it was my biography. i finally received my room card and made my way to the room.... card didn't work... returned to front desk, she keyed it again... worked. at first glance the room was ok... there was the smell of smoke though this was a non-smoking room... closer inspection revealed an ashtray on the nightstand which made absolutely no sense to me. i noticed little pieces of candy on the carpet which begged further inspection (crouched on the floor to investigate)... hairs everywhere... room had not been vaccumed... that much was obvious... i decided to check the fridge... frozen goo in the bottom drawer... i shuddered at the thought of checking the bed... bed spread appeared clean... under it was a blanket that i could only describe as of a "carpet consistency" with enough lint and other articles to knit a sweater... the sheets looked clean but they had been touching the "carpet".... after this revelation i decided to ask for a refund... on my way down to the office a car pulled up and the woman driving solicited me to buy knock-off cologne... always a hotel perk.... upon arrival to the hotel office i got very little arguement on getting my money back (aside from the fact that since i used a visa to pay it would take 10 days to see the money reappear... always a joy to hear). one last side note... the manager that tried to convince me to stay was wearing shorts and a very ratty tee-shirt.... obviously the uniform for a manager at a top notch establishment such as this.

honestly... bring your own bed linens and have some extra time for the check-in fiasco... you've got a place to stay for cheap... otherwise, my advice is don't go for it.

Here are the rest of the reviews, some are good, some aren't.
Charlotte: Studio 6 Charlotte Airport - Traveler Reviews - Fine inside; not safe outside - TripAdvisor

Personally being as close as it is to Tuckaseegee Rd. would make me want to spend a bit more to be in a safer neighborhood. If you'd like a better perspective try using the CMPD community crime mapping system.
http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/map.aspx (broken link)

Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Yikes!

Thank you very much for the feedback. I found another place that's only a few more bucks a night: Suburban Extended Stay at 10225 Feldfarm Lane in Charlotte. According to the map, this looks like the southern part of the city near Route 521 and Pineville.

Any feedback on this area would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,744,325 times
Steve, I live about 5 minutes from that hotel. We've actually used it a few times to put up family that comes into town to visit. They haven't said anything bad about the place. The nice thing is that you'll be within walking distance of Tin Tin, a very good Chinese buffet. There are lots of restaurants & shopping in the area as well.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:12 AM

Default Thank you so much!!!

I appreciate it very much. I'm very much looking forward to the move.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:58 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,672,304 times
I'm not familiar with the hotel, but I think you'll be happier in this area.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:50 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,045,279 times
The only 3 I would suggest are all in South Charlotte off of Pineville-Matthews Rd (Hwy 51) right by I-485 in Pineville...30-40 minutes to Uptown during traffic.

Suburban Lodge - 10225 Feldfarm Ln - Charlotte, NC 28210 (Park Rd & Park Cedar Dr)

Extended Stay AMerica - 10930 Park Rd - Pineville, NC 28134

Extended Stay America - 8405 Pineville-Matthew Rd - Charlotte, NC 28226

GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte