Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:29 PM

44 posts, read 175,097 times

Advertisements

Has anyone purchased a new home without a home inspector? I have my pre-drywall inspection coming up, do you think it's a necessity? Also, how much would one run for this type of inspection?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 08:04 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,141,334 times
As a realtor, I STRONGLY recommend a home inspection, even for new construction. Inspectors can find things that you or I won't. If you consider how much you are spending on a home, the cost of the inspection is money well spent, in my opinion. Home inspection companies fees are usually based on the square footage, whether home is on slab or crawl and how many HVAC zones there are. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 PM

93 posts, read 597,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNC07 View Post
Has anyone purchased a new home without a home inspector? I have my pre-drywall inspection coming up, do you think it's a necessity? Also, how much would one run for this type of inspection?

Thanks!
I had my pre-drywall on Monday and for the most part everything looked ok, but they found a small leak and a loose metal thingy on the roof (sorry not good with this stuff!) and small minor things. Nonetheless, I probably would not have been able to identify this on my own, except for the leak. Having the inspector as a resource was crucial, especially since I'm in NY having to travel back and forth. I went in there with a list of questions for the inspector as well as the builders. I also received a report of the inspection with the necessary corrections from the inspector. Total price was $125. It was reasonable compared to others who priced at $250 or better. It's money well spent...

Old 02-02-2007, 10:59 PM

24 posts, read 106,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxMomNY View Post
I had my pre-drywall on Monday and for the most part everything looked ok, but they found a small leak and a loose metal thingy on the roof (sorry not good with this stuff!) and small minor things. Nonetheless, I probably would not have been able to identify this on my own, except for the leak. Having the inspector as a resource was crucial, especially since I'm in NY having to travel back and forth. I went in there with a list of questions for the inspector as well as the builders. I also received a report of the inspection with the necessary corrections from the inspector. Total price was $125. It was reasonable compared to others who priced at $250 or better. It's money well spent...
I am looking for home inspector as well. Could you please give me your inspector's contact information? Thank you!

Old 02-03-2007, 06:57 AM

68 posts, read 184,628 times
Absolutely, although it is new constructions does not mean there can not be issues. It is a small price to pay for peace of mind in the largest personal investment you make. I also always recommend doing inspections to my clients as well.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 AM

462 posts, read 1,837,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny-dc-nc View Post
Absolutely, although it is new constructions does not mean there can not be issues. It is a small price to pay for peace of mind in the largest personal investment you make. I also always recommend doing inspections to my clients as well.
Couldn't agree more. I too am using an inspector of my own for pre-drywall and for final inspection. It's a small price to pay to have your own guy go in and look at everything. My realtor has already told me not to freak out when the inspector comes back with a laundry list of things to fix. She said it's just his job and he will cover everything so it's to be expected. I would rather deal with these issues before my wife and I move in and the papers are signed. At least if you do it before you sign on the dotted line you have some leverage where after your in and it's yours they can drag their feet and really make your life misrable.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:57 AM

40 posts, read 150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
As a realtor, I STRONGLY recommend a home inspection, even for new construction. Inspectors can find things that you or I won't. If you consider how much you are spending on a home, the cost of the inspection is money well spent, in my opinion. Home inspection companies fees are usually based on the square footage, whether home is on slab or crawl and how many HVAC zones there are. Best of luck to you!
IS IT WORTH GETTING AN INSPECTOR IF YOUR BUYING A NEW HOME THAT IS ALREADY BUILT

Old 02-03-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sche012 View Post
I am looking for home inspector as well. Could you please give me your inspector's contact information? Thank you!

I used Home Examiners. My inspector was Marc Barnes. It was recommended to me by a realtor. Their number is (704) 542-7900. I think it's a great way to get answers that you may not fully get from your builder.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1027 View Post
IS IT WORTH GETTING AN INSPECTOR IF YOUR BUYING A NEW HOME THAT IS ALREADY BUILT

If you know about construction, plumbing and electrical stuff, then take your chances. But inspectors have knowledge about codes and a good eye for structural deficiencies and potential hazards that most folks don't have. I would recommend it, even if it's a new home. Once those walls go up, you don't see what's behind there, that's why I got an inspector for my pre-dry wall inspection. Good thing I did!

Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,805,209 times
$300 is cheap compared to the $200K your about to spend. If you can get the seller to pay for some closing it might not even be your bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte