Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 12:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,568,882 times

Advertisements

I do not like the street design around Midtown. It hard to get around this around especially visiting any business within other than Targe't

The Home Depot design center looses focus on hardware supplies.
It was like pulling teeth to find vacuum bags for a shop vac.

Try to check out the New Staples bless it heart it not even visible from the street. Unless you know it's in there you would have no clue. I see they are building condo living as if this city needs anymore in front of the retail. I was expecting the retail to be in the bottom and walkable in out of shops from one to another. If your on that road where staples on the right side facing uptown it almost impossible to turn left due to all the traffic.

I use to come from East Blvd on Kings to State Employees and some how get rerouted on Charlottetown or some other street and work my butt off trying to find it lucky I do most of my banking with BOA now.

If your coming off Kennilworth all these lanes pop up which may appear great but you dont realize you have this extremly short stretch to get on I277.
Once again this area fails in providing infrastructure for the future . There isnt even a trolley to take people from Midtown to Uptown.
Some times building futuristic looking buildings isnt the best interest for the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:49 PM

677 posts, read 2,239,871 times
I wouldn't call those buildings futuristic at all.

I like them because once you park you can walk to everything in the area. I drive from uptown so I just come straight down Kings and make mostly right turns so its not so bad.

Once I figured out the layout of the complex, it got a lot easier for me to walk store to store. Plus its convenient to have a best buy 5 minutes away for me.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:16 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,560,513 times
I like the conveniences being a resident of Uptown. I can deal with just about anything as long as we get more & more conveniences. I think that there will be a trolley from Uptown to Midtown 1 day soon or at least I hope.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:05 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,757,186 times
I don't have a problem with the roads. What is confusing, is the complex in general. I tried to find Marshall's one day. First, the exterior of those buildings all look alike, so I pulled into the one with Target first; then realized, oops, wrong! So I pull out, go to the next building, and drove for what seemed forever to get up to the level where Marshall's was located. It really wasn't that far, but it sure seemed far. Overall, I think their sinage could be better. I do love that Home Depot though, very snazzy stuff. Looks like an HGTV show live in 3D.

But the highlight of that development will be when the resturants open on the greenway. That will be nice, and those places will have a great view of Uptown. I think those open next summer, if not the spring.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:49 PM

236 posts, read 696,296 times
I would have expected more retail (or the ability to add it) along Kings and Charlottetown, instead you've got walls which will kill any future attempt at a true pedestrian friendly environment. Who knows if Kings will ever redevelop away from its existing use, however what Pappas did and the city approved certainly hurts this cooridor's chances of becoming "urban"

That being said, what is there is now about 1 million times better than what existed before and the reopening and access created for Sugar Creek is great.

I also think they'll need to put a light in between Kenilworth and Kings where you would turn left to go to Wendy's, or right to go to Best Buy..It backs up pretty badly.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:24 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,639,516 times
The Home Depot Design Center is not supposed to focus on hardware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte