Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 10:46 AM

109 posts, read 345,802 times

Advertisements

Hi again all -

The house we're looking at in Matthews needs some serious landscaping. The front's just fine, basic builder plan, but nicely matured. The sides & back, including yard are grassy - and that's about it - blank slate. The lot is about .4 acres.

I've never had a landscaper do a design, but I think I'll need it on this one. Do you know if they can come do a plan, then based on your budget, they can just implement it a little at a time?

What is a general ballpark figure for landscape design, and plantings that include some large trees for blocking views, and basic bed prep? I know this is a hard one, but I don't even have a guess. . . $5000, $10,000, more?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,832 times
It can vary greatly. Just the house itself can drive costs and type of plants. Does it have easy access for workers and trucks, is it far from the landscaping site, etc. How is the soil, is it acidic (most likely the famous red clay of NC). Do you pick trees that need a change of soil. Do you need an irrigation system? Is their fencing needs, removal...

Example: A decent river birch in a bucket is abotu $110, they do well out here but needs lots of water. To install places usually charge 50% of the cost of the plant and will come with a warranty. Delivery can be around $50 and usually thats per truckload. Plants/Shrubs range from $20 to $50. If you go B&B for the Birch is about $250. These are larger, but are riskier as they may not have the time to develop a good root system. Thats one tree. Many places will do basic "design" work for free as long as buy through them. If you are talking waterfalls and walkways and such, they will charge.

An example I am doing: 2 birch type trees, 10 medium shrubs, 4 evergreen trees (trees stay green all year), about $1200. I am doing a self install. They would install for $400. If you want to change the grass, put in stonework etc. It would cost more, but just adding some trees is not real expensive.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,740 times
Unless you are getting a LOT of plants and having them prepare a LOT of beds I think it would be around or under $5000. I don't know a whole lot about this, but I think it is when you start having them install more hardscape features like walkways and paths it can get much more expensive depending on the type of stone.

We are going to be landscaping our front yard, since cost was an issue for us we will be digging the wholes and having them deliver the trees and put them in place, then we will fill in. I took measurements and pictures, took them to a nursery, and for free they spent about 2 hours showing me plants, talking about what will work, and giving me ideas.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,840 times
I think your best bet is to get the landscape design you want in the end and then pick one or two pieces each year. If you try to design to a budget right now, you might not be happy with what you end up with in 5 years. My thought is always to do it once and do it right. Even if that once is 2 years down the road.

As far as budget it depends if you'll do it yourself or hire someone for start to finish. Irrigation? What type and size of trees. Since you have grass now at least you have something. Also work so that you don't have to trample over what you already did. Like I'm working from the outside in, because the neighbors put up fences and I'm working on grass in the back first because I know I have to bring in a skid steer and would ruin my grass if I did the front first..

Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 13,650 times
Talking i can help

She... i am a landscape designer that can help in all aspects of your project... from consultation, design, install, project manage what have you... i will glady come out and consult with you free the first visit( give you ideas and my thoughts and go from there) please let me know if interested and i will be readily available to discuss where you would like to head with this... 20 + yrs experience in landscape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheloveslife View Post
Hi again all -

The house we're looking at in Matthews needs some serious landscaping. The front's just fine, basic builder plan, but nicely matured. The sides & back, including yard are grassy - and that's about it - blank slate. The lot is about .4 acres.

I've never had a landscaper do a design, but I think I'll need it on this one. Do you know if they can come do a plan, then based on your budget, they can just implement it a little at a time?

What is a general ballpark figure for landscape design, and plantings that include some large trees for blocking views, and basic bed prep? I know this is a hard one, but I don't even have a guess. . . $5000, $10,000, more?

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:36 PM

198 posts, read 641,957 times
I'm going through the exact same situation right now (builder basic shrubs in front, zero trees), but my lot is about .3 acres. I had a landscape designer do a detailed plan for the front and back yards, which include extensive beds around the house and fence.

I received an estimates from $4,600 to $3,600 just to establish the beds (till the ground, add topsoil and soil conditioner, cover with pine straw). I was surprised it was so high. Now I'm looking into renting a tiller and doing it myself.

Trees, on the other hand, I was told will generally cost about $250 each, including installation. I'm referring to trees with approx. 3-inch-wide trunks. You would, of course, save money if you could transport the tree to your yard and dig a hole for it yourself.

As far as doing it in stages, that's actually what our landscape designer recommended. So we're going to establish the beds this year, as well as get the larger trees started. Then every year in the future we will add more shrubs, etc., to fill in the plan.

Good luck! This is turning out to be quite the project for us, but we'll be thrilled when the yard looks a little more established and we have a bit more privacy.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:05 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,832 times
Good Luck on this.. I am a little ticked, I have been unable to find a decent River Birch to plant and running out of time. It's not like I can drive to 20 nurseries and check them all out.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:19 AM

198 posts, read 641,957 times
I need a river birch too -- let me know if you find a good place!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:40 AM

76 posts, read 291,422 times
We received quotes this past summer to create a planting area in our side yard and to clean up the hill in our front yard (which right now is just existing trees and pine straw). One place quoted $6,000 for everything and one place quoted $6,000 for just the hill. These were not complicated landscaping plans by any stretch. Mostly shrubs and flowers and a few crepe myrtles. We decided to do the work ourselves and will get around to it hopefully next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: