U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:12 PM

13 posts, read 33,915 times

Advertisements

Can anybody recommend nice condo complexes / areas for a couple in their mid 20's (no kids)? We're from NYC and have been talking about moving to Charlotte for a while. We want to be close to restaurants, shopping, nightlife, etc. We don't necessarily need to be in the city itself, but not too far. Ideally i'd like to spend under 200k on a 1 or 2 bedroom, 800ish-1000ish sqft, and be in a community with a younger vibe to it. I would be working uptown (which is south charlotte, right?) Renting would be another option at least for the first year or so. under 1000 a month would probably be my budget.

I'm used to an hour+ commute each way in NY, so i'm not afraid of a little driving. But if I can be as close as 10-15 minutes away that would be perfect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 01:24 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,834,012 times
You will have many options close to town for a condo that size and at that price point. If you can visit a couple of times before you buy that would be helpful, so you can narrow down the areas you would consider. We also relocated from NY -- totally empathize with the commuting you have to do right now!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 PM

Any specific areas i should look into? Please also note that I won't be moving for literally 2 years+, so realtors need not message me directly. Just some help on here is fine.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 PM

22,098 posts, read 12,030,174 times
Early 20s - Uptown would be a great spot for you. Other than that, South Park is a good option, maybe even as far out as Ballantyne. Ayrsley or Steele Creek area is another option, but it isn't as built-up as South Park or Ballantyne, yet.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 PM

Uptown may be tough for under 200K, I believe right now there are a couple in Tivoli that would work for you. Consider NoDa (area 2) NoDa Home - Charlotte's Historic Arts District, Elizabeth and Eastover (area 4) Myers Park area (area 5). Southpark area is also a good suggestion. Last but not least -- If I were still in my 20s (at that time I was living in Manhattan...) I would certainly explore the south end (area 6). I think it is a nice up and coming area, and convenient to the light rail.

Even though you are not moving for 2 years, you ought to get started on at least narrowing down your options. I have been working with some people that are relocating for longer that that but it's better to be sure of where you want to be before you sign on the dotted line.

I know there are realtors that DM, but an unsolicited DM is simply not my style. Feel free to ask me any questions about your relocation -- we made the same move, though it was 10 years ago...

Old 10-29-2008, 02:42 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,674,815 times
Prices will not be the same in two years...

Old 10-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Prices will not be the same in two years...
So true

Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 PM

by southpark do you mean "southside park"? I went on zillow to look for that area and that's all that came up when i searched. It's just south of "dilworth" on the map. Are we talking about the same area? Thanks again for the help!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 PM

22,098 posts, read 12,030,174 times
No, different area. South Park is really just south of the Myers Park area. Not sure what the center of the South Park area would be, but the intersection of Fairview and Sharon Rd has to be somewhat close to it.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
So true
Are you talking about prices going up or down? I'm sure an arguement can be made for either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte