Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:23 PM

228 posts, read 906,842 times

Advertisements

I highly reccoment staying away from the meetup group Charlotte Young Professionals (CYP).
I joined CHOA and love it-I play kickball every Monday! I wanted to expand a little more and after some research found Charlotte Young Professionals on the meetup website. I joined about 2 weeks ago and was excited about the seemingly fun activities and new people I was about to meet. I signed up for my first event, a Halloween party at Howl at the Moon. We were allowed to bring guests and their first and last names were required. No problem, I thought add my 3 best friends. Check. My friend is seeing a great guy and asked me to add him as well. No problem. Went out and got costumes, arranged transportation, completely excited to meet new people and attend this event. 45 minutes ago I get an e-mail stating I was removed from the group. I am convinced it has to be a mistake since I JUST joined the group. I hear back from the "organizer" of the group who says that I had to be removed due to my affiliation with one of the members on my guest list-the guy my friend is dating. Apparently he has some type of personal vendetta against him because he is what he calls a "competing" group on meetup, Charlotte Young Adults. I thought the whole purpose of meetup groups was to network. I e-mailed him to inform him of the fact that I think it was inappropriate and unprofessional to remove me without even speaking/e-mailing me about the conflict. UGH. I am just so frustrated. STAY AWAY FROM CYP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 12:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,605,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm051 View Post
I highly reccoment staying away from the meetup group Charlotte Young Professionals (CYP).
I joined CHOA and love it-I play kickball every Monday! I wanted to expand a little more and after some research found Charlotte Young Professionals on the meetup website. I joined about 2 weeks ago and was excited about the seemingly fun activities and new people I was about to meet. I signed up for my first event, a Halloween party at Howl at the Moon. We were allowed to bring guests and their first and last names were required. No problem, I thought add my 3 best friends. Check. My friend is seeing a great guy and asked me to add him as well. No problem. Went out and got costumes, arranged transportation, completely excited to meet new people and attend this event. 45 minutes ago I get an e-mail stating I was removed from the group. I am convinced it has to be a mistake since I JUST joined the group. I hear back from the "organizer" of the group who says that I had to be removed due to my affiliation with one of the members on my guest list-the guy my friend is dating. Apparently he has some type of personal vendetta against him because he is what he calls a "competing" group on meetup, Charlotte Young Adults. I thought the whole purpose of meetup groups was to network. I e-mailed him to inform him of the fact that I think it was inappropriate and unprofessional to remove me without even speaking/e-mailing me about the conflict. UGH. I am just so frustrated. STAY AWAY FROM CYP!
As you probably know there is a "comment" area on the home page of the group where by -you can post your comments. Additionally, I THINK that any decisions that are made by the group leader are gospel---kinda like it's his/her bat and ball.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:31 PM

264 posts, read 849,098 times
Quote:
Wow. I would be really upset too if this happened to me.
Did your friend's new guy know that there was a conflict between him and the CYP person?

Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,823,597 times
Quote:
I think that before someone decides to stay away from CYP based on your bad experience, they should get 'all' the facts. It is always smart to do the research to see both sides. You may have more insight that you have exposed, but sounds sort of fishy

Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 PM

630 posts, read 1,866,241 times
Gang Wars between CYP and CYA. LOL
What color are their bandanas I don't want to get shanked in the alley?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:15 PM

184 posts, read 357,643 times
bad things happen when you party naked- especially in a small town

Old 11-01-2008, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 14,058 times
With all the talk of costumes, emailed notices of being blackballed, and personal vendetta's, this sounds more like high-school than a "Professional" group.

How "young" is young with this clique?

Old 11-01-2008, 08:54 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,641,617 times
This story is pathetic on so many levels.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:05 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,805,821 times
I'll be more wary of who I play kickball with!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:38 PM

117 posts, read 594,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSmoker View Post
With all the talk of costumes, emailed notices of being blackballed, and personal vendetta's, this sounds more like high-school than a "Professional" group.

How "young" is young with this clique?
20's - 30's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: